Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 577660 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #510 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 04:16 »
Simon.
I would have no idea why the pipe has a bend in the middle of the lubeoil storage tank, I can see nothing there which necessitates such a bend.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #511 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 12:17 »
Simon.
I would have no idea why the pipe has a bend in the middle of the lubeoil storage tank, I can see nothing there which necessitates such a bend.
Tore

Could it be something to do will reducing shock loading down the pipe line?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #512 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 13:13 »
I don`t think so Simon, on some steampipes we used such bends to take up heatexpansion, but I don`t see the temperaturevariation should justify that on such pipe.
Have you any ideas why the drawing does not show the two handcontrolled checkvalves or drainage/flooding branchoff in the engineroom?
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #513 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 15:41 »

Fig. 1. Display the cover of the lubeoil storage tanks.

Fig. 2. Display the main engine frame.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #514 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 23:50 »
Simon.
This is more to my liking. It remains to figure out the remote handoperated checkvalves though. It is a vital part of the system that you should be able to open and shut that valve from the adjacent watertight compartment.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #515 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 08:56 »
Flood/drainvalve fwd engineroom.
 With the help of U-historia I believe I might have located the fwd engine room drain/floodvalve. First of all there are only ordinary valves draining batterycompartment into the engineroom, draining of the waste watertank is done via an ordinary checkvalve up fwd PO mess or probably in the controlroom. Flooding of the batterycomp. is done from the valve fwd PO mess. The only handcontrolled checkvalve operated from the adjacant compartment in fwd engineroom is possibly situated up towards the bulkhead of the main batteryswitch compartment no. 2, stb side of the galleydoor. Allthough the hand operatingshaft through the bulkhead is indicated by U-historia to be right down of the dooropening, I think it might be a fair chance that same could be situated in the switchcompartment,  I cannot figure out it is outside. Thus this is no 3  of these 4 valves.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:52 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #516 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 11:28 »
Tore, in the galley there are two hatches on the floor. They could be for port side valves  :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #517 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 13:02 »
I think they probably are Simon. Fwd hatch the handcontrolled stop check valve for the wastewatertank, the aft port hatch for the handcontrolled valve for gravetydraining from the galley to the engineroom.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Oct , 2012, 13:12 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #518 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 13:23 »
Air Engine Starting System

Tore, I was wondering if you can help me with this system http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate15A.htm I have a few questions.

• I have location valve c (Drain valve from engine starting air flasks and air induction line). However, on plate 15, the drain line is drawn coming off the HP bottle and not off the main line. Do you think this is correct? It seen to me to be wrong that the drain line would come directly off the HP bottle.
  • I am trying to location valves f, a1 & b. Any help would be great.
  • In the photo below are the two pressures gages (arrow) the same one on plate 15.

Thanks, Simon.

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #519 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 14:02 »
Dorsal view of the Engine

To be able to increase the detail and accurate of my drawing of the engine, I need to draw the dorsal view at the same time, so I am going to start this today and here are my first round of questions.

1. On the rocker arm the left arrow is this just a casting mark? Or is there something missing?
2. Right arrow, I imagine this is a grease point, is this just a small nut?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #520 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 14:29 »
Simon.
Starting air flask.
The drawing for the startingair supply is for MAN engines, the picture from the U 995 is of  Krupp Germaniawerft engines and they have different startingsystem. Howewer the startingair supply is the same principle. The drain on the starting airvessel I presume is just the waterblow off from the vessel and has not anything to do with the induction air. The waterdrain from the airvessel goes via a funnel to the bilge. The valves on the engines is probably a bit different between the MAN engine and the GW engine but I believe you have found the reducingvalve 205-30 Bar.  I believe the other valves are hidden by the maneuverstand .
Tore
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2012, 07:27 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #521 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 14:58 »

To be able to increase the detail and accurate of my drawing of the engine, I need to draw the dorsal view at the same time, so I am going to start this today and here are my first round of questions.

1. On the rocker arm the left arrow is this just a casting mark? Or is there something missing?
2. Right arrow, I imagine this is a grease point, is this just a small nut?

The valve rocker arms are pivoting on a shaft fixed to the rockerarm support, thus you don`t lubricate the two points. The small excessive painted knobs could be  small nuts locking the shafts to the supports.
On the rocker arm in the center, the point just above the shaft where it is pivoting should be lubricated.  I cannot remember for sure, but I believe it was handlubricated and not by a line from the lubricator up front.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Oct , 2012, 15:02 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #522 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 15:34 »
Simon
I just checked some of  my pictures, there were no lubricatorpipes to the rockerarms, I belive just a cavity for handlubrication.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #523 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 17:50 »

Not very exciting today, just the start ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #524 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 02:13 »
Simon
It seems right to me. Knowing you love tiny details, the shaft for the forked end of the pushrod is protruding slightly out of the rockerarm on both sides, this to accommodate a small grove where you have a spring lockingring you know the type having a split fitted with a set of pliers. On the other side of the rockerarm on the top of the valvespindle is a special pressuredisc fixed by a nut locked by wire. Se picture below.
Tore.. 
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2012, 07:31 by tore »