Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576713 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #465 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 23:52 »
Simon
I think quite a few items, including the flowmeter is intergrated in the luboilseparatorunit. Below within the black framing is my idea what`s in the separatorunit. I don`t believe the flowmeter is identical to the torpedocompensatingtank.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:47 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #466 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:24 »
Thanks, Tore.

Here a idea. I was looking the piping layout, and I noted a funnel section next to the luboilseparatorunit. In the photo below you can see a funnel section (Red arrow) and maybe the luboilseparatorunit is the blue arrow?

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)
« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:29 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #467 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:29 »
Simon
LP airpipeline.
I`m not 100% sure, but I believe the main LP air supplypipe is going on the top center (midship) into the engineroom. I`ll check and see if I have a better idea later
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #468 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:50 »
Siomon
Your suggestion seems to be a possibility, howewer I cannot see the the access to the separatorbowl, it looks awfully cramped bearing in mind that it had to be dismantled and cleaned quite frequently ( I never did the job so my memory is blanked ).

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #469 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 06:15 »
Simon
In order to know what to look for may be an understanding of the purifierpiping would help. The system is separated from the engine lubeoilsystem, only connected via the lube oiltanks.  You have two pumps one for dirty and one for clean oil. There are two heaters, one for the "washingwater" and one for the dirty lubeoil. When the engines are running, the warm coolingwater from the exhaustmanifold is used and enter via the washingwater heater, in this case probably not to be used. When the engines are stopped, cold water from the seainlet is entering the heater and heated before added to the purifier. The dirty oil is taken from either the dirty oiltank, or stb and port engine lubeoil system tanks,entering the purifier lubeoil heater heated if needed and afterwards mixed with the warm washingwater from the waterheater and fed to the purifier. I have added colours to the systemsketch below. Red warm washingwater, blue cold washingwater, green dirty lubeoil and yellow clean lubeoil, the black is sludge. As I said I believe a lot of the stuff is intergrated in the purifier. We really need a picture of the actual purifier.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:47 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #470 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
A big thanks, Tore. Help a lot!  :) :) 

I have a few questions.
  • Why would you want to heat the dirty and clean oil for?
  • How often would you run this system? Every time the main engines are running or only a few times while the main engines are running?
  • Do you need both the pumps (clear and dirty LO) running at the same time for the system to work?
  • As the clear and dirty LO pumps are

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #471 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 15:29 »
Tore, I spend the morning searching and studying the photo's I have. I have located a 2nd smaller funnel section next to the one I found in Reply #466. I have yet to found any funnel section on the port side of the boat. Because I found no funnel section on the port side, and two on the starboard side this adds more weight that the luboilseparatorunit is located on the starboard side of the boat.

Siomon
Your suggestion seems to be a possibility, howewer I cannot see the the access to the separatorbowl, it looks awfully cramped bearing in mind that it had to be dismantled and cleaned quite frequently ( I never did the job so my memory is blanked ).

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #472 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 16:09 »
Simon.
Dirty oil stored in the dirty oiltank gets cooled hence a higher viscosity and makes it more difficult to separate impurities. Lube oil in the enginesystem (tanks) when the engines are running gets warm and mostly don`t have to be heated. If the engine stops the lubeoil in the system tanks get cooled and needs to be heated to have the rigth purifying viscosity. You might want to clean the lube oil if the engines are not running.
The condition of the lubeoil ( impurities) might vary according to the engineservice, combustion, waterleakages etc. and the frequencies of the purifying, but you run the purifier quite often some times continuously.
The purifierpumps are always running simultaneously when the purifier is in operation, you need both in order to get dirty oil to the purifier and clean oil out of the purifier.
The pumps of the purifier has nothing to do with the attached lubeoil pumps for the engines , I believe they are normally driven by the purifier (intergrated).
The construction of the pumps are normally gear or IMO pumps.
Your last question is probably answered above, I believe non of the pumps are driven by the engines, you want to be able operate the purifier even when the engines are stopped.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 23:46 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #473 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 00:03 »
Hi Simon

Q: About the lubeoil separator (centrifuge) - Reply #355 to 358. http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=921.msg11874#msg11874

Tore, do you know where the two lube oil separator are found? Are there under the decking?

I'm attaching the drawing, where I had marked the location of the oil purifier. I think, that it is located in the middle, just
behind the hatch to the engine room, under deck plating.

Here a idea. I was looking the piping layout, and I noted a funnel section next to the luboilseparatorunit. In the photo below you can see a funnel section (Red arrow) and maybe the luboilseparatorunit is the blue arrow?

(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)

Well, according to my guesses, on this photo you have marked the auxiliary cooling water pump.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #474 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 01:53 »
Maciek
 I believe you are rigth. On your very detailed drawing I cannot figure out anything which looks like a purifier. According to the RN report on U-570 the lubeoil purifier installed was no 149 Type 2LHD 2/20 capacity 300 l/h Ramesohl & Schmidt, Westfalia, Oelde. The motor manufacturer was Werdohler Pumpenfabrik, Werdohl I/W Paul Hillebrand GMBH. A picture of that separator/purifier would help a lot.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #475 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 01:56 »
Does anyone know where the LP piping enter the engine room? Above or below/Port or starboard side?

I would think below deck and on the port side as the manifold in the Control Room was on the port side ???

LP airpipeline.
I`m not 100% sure, but I believe the main LP air supplypipe is going on the top center (midship) into the engineroom. I`ll check and see if I have a better idea later

I also think, that low pressure air line is led under the ceiling, midship (that is general pattern in german design :). I will try figure out which one is it.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #476 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 02:18 »
I think quite a few items, including the flowmeter is intergrated in the luboilseparatorunit. Below within the black framing is my idea what`s in the separatorunit. I don`t believe the flowmeter is identical to the torpedocompensatingtank.

I agree with Tore, that oil purifier could be integrated with such elements as flow meter, heaters, and so on.

Simon, on this photo, I'm wondering about the spring, which is located above the funnel. Together it does not look like part of oil purifier.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #477 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
Hi Maciek & Tore

Thanks for the updated information :)

I think you are correct about the oil purifier being central line, it makes more sense to keep all this system together.

You are also correct about the photo in the last post below. I think I workout it out last night it part of the Fuel oil compensating system (circulating water under pressure) (Plate 10). In the photo you can see:
  • The two funnel section.
  • The thread connection after c1.
  • The safey or relief valve f (the "spring, which is located above the funnel").
  • And the three way valve d.

(source: http://uboatarchive.net)

« Last Edit: 21 Oct , 2012, 12:31 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #478 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 14:20 »
Simon
I guess you have pretty much an idea of the inboard pressure water fuelcompensating system forward portside of the engineroom, anyhow below is a picture of the first valves after entering the pressurehull.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #479 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 14:55 »

I agree with Tore, that oil purifier could be integrated with such elements as flow meter, heaters, and so on.

Simon, on this photo, I'm wondering about the spring, which is located above the funnel. Together it does not look like part of oil purifier.

--
Regards
Maciek

Maciek.
I believe the spring you are wondering about is the spring for the reliefvalve for the enginedriven pistoncooling-waterpump of the starboard engine. You can see the   reliefvalve for the port engine under the horizontal freshwaterpump on port side.  Simon I don`t think this has anything to do with a purifier.
Tore
« Last Edit: 22 Oct , 2012, 14:58 by tore »