Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576647 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #345 on: 28 May , 2012, 03:17 »
Simon
The idea of somebody on the same planet is just getting ready to work with the falling snow while for us mother nature is removing it quickly and put in flowers instead sounds crazy. I would rather be in a VIIC engineroom than the snow. The funny thing is I thougth I had forgotten everything, but it`s gradually coming back as I study the details.
Tore

What seen funny to me this...

The time "you" spend at sea would be equal to the time I have been forecasting avalanches & and the time "I" have been at sea equal to the time you have been chasing avalanche :-D

Number of days at sea: About 7 days.
Number of days in the snow: 22 years forecasting avalanche danger ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #346 on: 28 May , 2012, 03:44 »
Simon
The idea of somebody on the same planet is just getting ready to work with the falling snow while for us mother nature is removing it quickly and put in flowers instead sounds crazy. I would rather be in a VIIC engineroom than the snow. The funny thing is I thougth I had forgotten everything, but it`s gradually coming back as I study the details.
Tore

Here my engine room and some pictures of my at work ;D

This is the view from the top of the mountain that I work at.

We used a lot of explosives to control the avalanches. Here me (left) teaching a younger ski patroller what to do.

Here my outside, making sure that is safe to clear the road. There is already over 3m of avalanche debris on the road.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #347 on: 28 May , 2012, 05:01 »
Simon
Meaningful job you have. Even if we were running a submarine we were skiing a lot, the snow was rigth down to the sealevel as can be seen on the posted picture. We usually borrowed skis from a local armycamp and spent hours in the snow,  you could enjoy skiing till end june up north. Your mountains seems to be much like ours up north and northwest of our country. Our people doing the same job as yours had a busy time this winter as we had one of the worst avalance winter ever.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:35 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #348 on: 30 May , 2012, 12:07 »
Maciek
 I think I remember you mentioned earlier that you are planning to visit the Laboe U 995 this summer or autumn. I guess you are making a list of what details you shall be studying and I presume you take a camera along. I have never visited her in her present state allthough passing the Denkmal many times by ship. Before you go, may be you`d be interested in the story how she actually ended on concrete supports at Laboe. KNM Kaura  ex U-995 was in active service in the Royal Norwegian Navy from December 1952 till December 1965. The latter part of her lifetime she was a "schoolboat". The first years, when I was on board she was a" frontline boat" and the CO, No 1 and me became very good friends who met after our service onboard occasionally to memorize old days. The CO has now passed away, but he mention a few interesting things on our social meetings.
After his time onboard, he became in the 1960 years  in charge of a newbuilding programme for the Norwegian navys new subs in Germany. During these years he came in contact with a number of german ex Ubootofficers, himshelf beeing a navyofficer with war experience on the allied side, had a few problems in the beginning but in the end he became friends with quite a few german officiers. I think he was even in a party with admiral D
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:35 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #349 on: 30 May , 2012, 14:46 »
Hi Tore

Great story!!

I was wondering do you have any pictures of the piping under the flooring of the engine room?

I can not imagine there a lot of space under the flooring with all the different piping system, especially not like you see in the Das Boot movie!  I have workout the easy piping, but there still big sections missings :( So I have started mapping the paths of the other piping systems, to help me fall in the missing sections of piping. I can not believe the German

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #350 on: 30 May , 2012, 15:32 »
Plate 14:  (Left) Engine lubricating oil system, (Right) lubricating oil storage, sump and purifying system, for Krupp engines

Q: Do you remember where the two pumps for cleaning are?

Q: The system drawing show two 3-ways valve, is this a error? Why would you need a 3-ways valve; a check valve should be Ok here or am I missing something.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #351 on: 30 May , 2012, 22:46 »
Hi Tore

Great story!!

I was wondering do you have any pictures of the piping under the flooring of the engine room?

I can not imagine there a lot of space under the flooring with all the different piping system, especially not like you see in the Das Boot movie!  I have workout the easy piping, but there still big sections missings :( So I have started mapping the paths of the other piping systems, to help me fall in the missing sections of piping. I can not believe the German
« Last Edit: 30 May , 2012, 22:49 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #352 on: 30 May , 2012, 23:16 »
Luboil checkvalves.
The footvalves at the luboilsuction is a checkvalve, the symbol is round, a 3way cock is square. Se drawing below.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #353 on: 30 May , 2012, 23:44 »
Lub oil puryfier pumps.
As far as I remember the suction- (dirty oil) and deliverypumps( clean oil) were intergrated in the puryfier as was the case of the heater. Unfortunately I don`t have a picture of the purifier but I`ll look for it and revert.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #354 on: 30 May , 2012, 23:44 »
Luboil checkvalves.
The footvalves at the luboilsuction is a checkvalve, the symbol is round, a 3way cock is square. Se drawing below.

The valve icon has three lines on it, so does this mean OFF/HALF/FULL?

Also below if you look at the lines for the dirty lubricating oil from the manifold (M4) to the tanks there are check valves for each line. But there no check valve for the clean lubricating oil from the manifold (M3) to the tanks. Tore, do you think this is a error or are they not needed?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #355 on: 30 May , 2012, 23:56 »
Luboil checkvalves.

The valve icon has three lines on it, so does this mean OFF/HALF/FULL?

Also below if you look at the lines for the dirty lubricating oil from the manifold (M4) to the tanks there are check valves for each line. But there no check valve for the clean lubricating oil from the manifold (M3) to the tanks. Tore, do you think this is a error or are they not needed?

Simon
 I have the answer but my internet connection is shutting down I revert this afternoon.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #356 on: 31 May , 2012, 10:17 »
Back on the net again.
The separators dirtyoilpump sucks from the systemoil tanks, hence checkvalves and strainers, and the pressureside (black) of the pump deliver via the heater the dirty oil to the sentrifuge where it`s cleaned and the separator clean oil pump sucks the clean oil from the sentrifuge and delivers back to the systemtank, hence no checkvalves on the deliverypipes from the cleanoilpump. Remember the icon for the pumps has always blackcoloured pressureside. The systemsketch is OK.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:20 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #357 on: 31 May , 2012, 10:25 »
The valveicon having 3 crosstripes is a puzzle to me and I guess you shall find very few in the system, I think there are two in the emergency luboilpump suction, (when the fueltransferpump is used as a lubeoilpump)  for port and stb systemluboil tank where you want to be sure there are no contamination of fuel and lubeoil and then I guess one on  the big trimpump in the controlroom. Might be something pops up later.
Tore
« Last Edit: 31 May , 2012, 13:19 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #358 on: 31 May , 2012, 12:37 »
Luboilseparators
I have tried to look for a picture of the lubeoil separator (centrifuge) but sorry I didn`t find any. I think it was the Westfalia make.The only picture I got hold of was the present days Westfalia lubeoilseparators, allthough basically the same system it is not 100% the way it looked. Migth be somebody have a picture?
Tore
« Last Edit: 31 May , 2012, 12:44 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #359 on: 31 May , 2012, 13:35 »
Thanks!  :) :)

Tore, do you per-heat the dirty oil to help clean the oil?