Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576597 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #240 on: 12 Apr , 2012, 14:58 »
Seems to be fine to me. If you really want details your could put in fuelrack positionmarks 1mm apart as indicated in red below.
Tore

Yes, love is kind of detail!!  :) :)

I added this level of detail already; added marks for the dip stick for the oil tank between the two engines  ;D ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #241 on: 12 Apr , 2012, 15:05 »
Q: Engine Room - Fuel filters

Tore, perhaps can help me with a discussion I had several years back. There are two different types of fuel filters on the engines. I was wondering if you know if one is an original German fuel filters.

Many thanks again, Simon.

Fig. 1. Port side fuel filters.

Fig. 2. Starboard side fuel filters.
Simon.
There is something odd with the pictures of the filters none of them look like the originals, do you happen to have a complete picture of the port filter?
Tore

Tore, here a better view of the port filters

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #242 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 01:15 »
Simon
Fuelfilters. I have been trying to figure out the filterquestion but cannot remember the details, so I`m back to guessing. The stb. filters does not give me a clue whereas on the port I remember the logo on the filtercasing. I`ll go for 60% chance port filter could be the original. Sorry not a very good answer I`m afraid.
Tore
« Last Edit: 13 Apr , 2012, 02:01 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #243 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 08:22 »
Hi

Maybe you'll find it useful.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #244 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 10:10 »
Yes Maciek, you see the plunger with the helic, the gearrim turning the outer sleeve and hence the plunger. You even see the fuelrack markings, the guidescrew in the rack slot and the lockingscrew for the lapped plungerbarrel. You`ll get everything correct to tiniest detail Simon.

Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #245 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 10:56 »
Simon.   I have marked the details of Macieks drawings transfered to the outside of your pumpcasing as below. I guess your drawing is pretty much correct.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:10 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #246 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 12:11 »
Hi

Maybe you'll find it useful.

--
Regards
Maciek

Hi Maciek

What book are these drawing from?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #247 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 13:06 »

Fig. 1. This was my old layout of the fuel pumps.

Fig. 2. This is the corrent layout for the fuel pumps for the port engine.

Fig. 3. Close-up view of one fuel pump.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #248 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 14:40 »
Very good ! And the fuelrack transmission studs are placed correctly in contact with the end of the oval slots in the fuelrack link. As far as I can see you have incorporated a flexible link in the fuelracklinkage. For some reason stb engine of the U 995 has two flexible links, one is actually double. I have indicated the two linkpositions on the posted picture below.The linkage is as you see, pretty rough and in order to have a smooth transmission it could possibly have been necessary to have an extra flexible link. I didn`t put it in. My suggestion would be to have only one flexible link per engine.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #249 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 15:24 »
A small remark on the fuelpumps. The arrangement for the fuelpumps is of course for the stb engine, for the port engine the fuelpumps shall be the opposite e.g. the fuelrack positionmarks are pointing forward and the movement of the fuelracklink is opposite the stb link. The reason is that the fuelpumps are not in "mirror execution".
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #250 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 15:36 »
Tore -
I have noticed in my study of the forward torpedo room that there were many fixtures that were as you say "in mirror execution" - pieces that seem to have been designed for a given function on the port side, but could not be switched to the stb side. That indicates the there were a left and a right to many pieces of equipment. But other pieces are designed to have one model that works either way. That could be a supply nightmare I would think!
Was there a lot on the U-995/KNM Kaura that showed "mirror" design, if you can recall?
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #251 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 18:14 »
Hi Tore

What is this? And why are there three pipings leading to it?

Thanks, Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #252 on: 13 Apr , 2012, 23:45 »
Tore -
I have noticed in my study of the forward torpedo room that there were many fixtures that were as you say "in mirror execution" - pieces that seem to have been designed for a given function on the port side, but could not be switched to the stb side. That indicates the there were a left and a right to many pieces of equipment. But other pieces are designed to have one model that works either way. That could be a supply nightmare I would think!
Was there a lot on the U-995/KNM Kaura that showed "mirror" design, if you can recall?
Christopher
Christopher
You are rigth. The logistic would be a nigthmare with mirror executions and particulary on a sub. Fulepumps is a good example, fuelinjectionparts are sensitve, important parts which need to be exchanged comparatively frequent. If f.i. the fuelpumps were in mirror execution you had to store twice as much onboard  in restricted space. It was easier to adapt the movement of the fuelrack. There were not many mirrorexecutions on KNM Kaura ex U 995.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #253 on: 14 Apr , 2012, 00:39 »
Hi Tore

What is this? And why are there three pipings leading to it?

Thanks, Simon

Simon
I cannot see all the details, but I believe it is a hydraulic amplifyer on the fuellink. The centrifugal governor should be fitted in the aft end, I believe geardriven from the camshaft, I don`t remember the details but the system works like this: the springloaded sentrifugal weigths of the governor are forced in and out by the engine revs. pulling an oilslide up and down feeding oil under pressure from the luboilsystem to a piston in the amplifyer which then is moving the fuellinkage and HP fuelpumpracks maintaining the revs of the engine. I believe you can see an  adjustingscrew on the anglelever for adjusting the linkage in relation to the amplifyer (governor). The pipes should the be luboilpipes coming from the governor/luboilpump and returning to luboiltank. The system could be overruled from the maneuvringstand
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #254 on: 14 Apr , 2012, 00:44 »
Simon
The little red knob on top of the amplifyer is a bleedingcock for deaerating the oilsystem. It shouldn`t be red.
Tore
« Last Edit: 14 Apr , 2012, 05:38 by tore »