Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576297 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #195 on: 18 Mar , 2012, 04:58 »
Further to the question of the holes in the boxkeel center plate. I found a description as to the way VIICs were built at Blohm & Voss shipyard. If you go to http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-93INT.htm (an interrogation report) you will find a description of the stages of the VIIC construction on page 19 and 20 which pretty much support our theory.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #196 on: 31 Mar , 2012, 14:56 »
Q: Engine Room - Flooring

Tore, did the original flooring in the engine room have draining holes like the conning tower floor (Right) or was it solid (Left)?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #197 on: 31 Mar , 2012, 15:13 »
Q: Engine Room - Photograph

Tore, in the original wartime photograph below, someone is checking diesel level in the engine room (I am sure a job you did a few 100

TopherVIIC

« Reply #198 on: 31 Mar , 2012, 16:00 »
Simon,
It looks like a linked rubber matte, possibly anti-slip, fatigue reduction, or for sound reduction. It might be for all of the above! We had similar mattes in our machine shop.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar , 2012, 16:14 by TopherVIIC »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #199 on: 31 Mar , 2012, 16:36 »
Simon,
It looks like a linked rubber matte, possibly anti-slip, fatigue reduction, or for sound reduction. It might be for all of the above! We had similar mattes in our machine shop.

I see what you are talking about  :)

I have spend two years looking at this picture try to workout that it is  :D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #200 on: 31 Mar , 2012, 23:48 »
Q: Engine Room - Flooring

Tore, did the original flooring in the engine room have draining holes like the conning tower floor (Right) or was it solid (Left)?

Thanks, Simon.
Simon
There were no drainholes, your left picture is correct.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #201 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 00:07 »
Q: Engine Room - Photograph

Tore, in the original wartime photograph below, someone is checking diesel level in the engine room (I am sure a job you did a few 100

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #202 on: 02 Apr , 2012, 13:19 »
Well
In this country easter has already started and people are moving up to the mountains for the last skiingoportunity. So I`m sending you my greetings below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 Mar , 2014, 01:30 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #203 on: 02 Apr , 2012, 14:00 »
Well
In this country easter has already started and people are moving up to the mountains for the last skiingoportunity. So I`m sending you my greetings below.
Tore

Thanks for the nice seasonal greetings! It funny to hear you talk about people moving to the mountains for there last opportunity to go skiing. As I am getting ready for my 23rd winter as a avalanche forecaster down here in New Zealand  :D

Tore, thanks for all your time and help over the last few months.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #204 on: 02 Apr , 2012, 14:36 »
Thanks Simon.
Good luck with your coming winterseason, we had one of our worst avalanche winters, I`m happy it`s over. Central european skiers having very little knowledge of avalanches are going off pisteskiing and creating a lot of problems. Quite a few have been killed this season in spite of all the avalanchegadges they have.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #205 on: 02 Apr , 2012, 16:12 »
Hi Tore

I have got question about diving planes angle indicators. I know, that each diving planes control station has its own angle indicators - one pure electrical (resistance bridge principle) and one pure mechanical (called Teleflex system). Could you explain how this latter works? I can not find any appropriate references to the Teleflex system.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #206 on: 03 Apr , 2012, 01:26 »
Hi Tore

I have got question about diving planes angle indicators. I know, that each diving planes control station has its own angle indicators - one pure electrical (resistance bridge principle) and one pure mechanical (called Teleflex system). Could you explain how this latter works? I can not find any appropriate references to the Teleflex system.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek
Maciek
I have been trying to figure out about a 2nd mechanical indicator system for the hydroplanes operators in the CR and I simply cannot remember to have seen them. Teleflex is a well known make even today and exsisted in the wartime. At that time the system was basically a flexible cable in an armed hose for transmitting mechanical power. We had once a failure on the fwd hydroplaneindicator on the ex. U 995 and I remember crawling in the fwd torpedoroomarea discovering that the mechanical transmissionlink from the hyroplanerod to the electro transmitter was broken. It could have been a teleflex. But I am sorry I cannot remember a mechanical (Teleflex) connection to the hydroplaneindicators in the controlroom, it should be possible to see the teleflexcable on one of the photos.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #207 on: 03 Apr , 2012, 01:51 »
Marko
I have been looking on the photos I have and think I found the mechanical hydroplane indicator. See my bad photo below. It is a rather crude (aluminum?) disc below and sligthly to the left of the electrical indicator. I guess you migth be able to see it better on one of the panaorama photos on the net.
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 Mar , 2014, 01:31 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #208 on: 03 Apr , 2012, 03:07 »
Tore
I have been trying to figure out about a 2nd mechanical indicator system for the hydroplanes operators in the CR and I simply cannot remember to have seen them. Teleflex is a well known make even today and exsisted in the wartime. At that time the system was basically a flexible cable in an armed hose for transmitting mechanical power.

Well, I have found following description (Type IXC Design Study, http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm):
f.  Mechanical Bow Plane Angle Indicator System     
This system is identical with the Teleflex systems installed in USN surface vessels in various applications and is so called by the Germans.  Details of the system may be obtained from any Teleflex instruction book.

When I wonder about this a bit longer, I guess, even name "Teleflex" indicates the flexible cable, as you have written, so I pretty sure, you are right.
But I am sorry I cannot remember a mechanical (Teleflex) connection to the hydroplaneindicators in the controlroom, it should be possible to see the teleflexcable on one of the photos.
I have attached some photos (one from U505, other from U995), but I also cannot see flexible cable.
And one more photo from U570:

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 03 Apr , 2012, 03:10 by SnakeDoc »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #209 on: 03 Apr , 2012, 06:16 »
Maciek
On your picture of the hydroplanecontrols on U 995 I think there is a cable going through the fwd pressurebulkhead which migth be the teleflexcable for the fwd hydroplanes, it has the proper curvature, size and a possible correct position.
Tore