Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 595205 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2970 on: 20 Mar , 2016, 23:12 »
Hello Mr. Tore, Maciek, and All,

Maciek, I really like the photos of the BBC unit; a great find...

Skizzenbuch, seems to be going along OK with the publisher.  I have not had any return emails or notices for issues with my original text file, or the printed Metal Leather Covered Post Binder Book (11 x 17).

During the past 30 days, I have gone through eye operations for cataracts in both eyes.  I didn't realize my eyesight was that bad.  However, while writing Skizzenbuch, it became more difficult to focus on my computer screen.  When I first went to the eye doctor, they attempted to measure the thickness of the cataracts running down the center of both eyes with a light reflecting instrument.  However, on one eye they had to use a device with water and sound (i.e., ASDIC/SONAR) to measure the thickness; it was that bad.

After the first eye lens replacement, it was amazing - I could see clearly and the colors, they were so bright and vivid.  I could cover the now good eye and the other normal eye still had the wide cataract streak down the middle, but the other areas of sight was like looking through a glass of iced tea.  I didn't realize my eyesight was so deteriorated over the years.  Three weeks later, the other eye lens was replaced in the Laser Assisted cataract surgery.  I was far sighted so I had the astigmatism corrective lenses installed which cost me $3330.00 total and worth every penny.

I will keep everybody updated on the Schiffer Publishing progress with Skizzenbuch...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2971 on: 21 Mar , 2016, 01:26 »
Hi Don
Sorry to hear you had eyetroubles. I have been through the same thing and experienced no further troubles afterwards. I have been using the skizzenbook a few times and I miss an easy way to find what I am looking for. Would it be an idea to have a register?
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2972 on: 21 Mar , 2016, 17:22 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I thought about an INDEX in the back of the book, but never got around to it.  The CONTENTS on pages 4 and 5 generally get you into the ball park.  If I need to search for something, I generally use the PDF edit tab and then use FIND to locate a specific word... Although, this is not an option for the printed book.

I just looked at the Skizzenbuch PDF with my new implanted lenses and it is really bright and colorful; I didn't notice that aspect before...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2973 on: 21 Mar , 2016, 23:58 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I found a piece of free software which allowed me to build an index from Skizzenbuch... The file name is Skizzenbuch Index.pdf and I uploaded it to dropbox at the Skizzenbuch folder.  Please let me know what you think and feel free to make any suggestions.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2974 on: 22 Mar , 2016, 01:52 »
Don.
I just downloaded your index software and it seems to me it is exactly what I am looking for. Let me test it for a few days and I`ll give my comments if any. May you have a colourful Easter with your new lenses.
Regards
Tore
« Last Edit: 22 Mar , 2016, 01:56 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2975 on: 22 Mar , 2016, 10:24 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Glad to be of assistance...  You certainly have an eye for the outstanding Easter image with the chocolate eggs and Kaura S309 in the magnifying glass...

Happy Easter to you and All,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2976 on: 23 Mar , 2016, 00:50 »
Don.
I have tested your index system a few times and have a few remarks. The idea is very good and very handy for f.inst. modelbuilders who can look up whatever item they require to get detailed information. However somehow the system does not pick up several important items as tanks , regulating tanks , ballasttanks, Q tank, negative buoyancytanks etc.  Further fuel,trim,tower,vent, exhaust, pressurehull, rudder and several other important items are not picked up. The idea of an index would definitely be an asset if it is possible to improve same.

Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2977 on: 23 Mar , 2016, 18:42 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I created a new index file and uploaded it to dropbox... I have some limitation parameters when I search for words to index; no double words, and I set the word length to 3 letters or  more.  Q Tank may be found by just searching for tank.  However, I added most of the words you suggested.  What do you think of the latest index?

Skizzenbucvh 11 x 17 M1.Index

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2978 on: 24 Mar , 2016, 00:42 »
Don.
It is indeed better, however I guess somehow you have to get around the problem with double words as you get in excess of 100 pages containing, hull, tank, tanks etc. I have no idea how to overcome that problem, but I bet with your expertise you`ll find a way. I still think it is worth while, there are many out there looking for such a manual.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2979 on: 24 Mar , 2016, 19:16 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I spent more time with the index generator and I have created a much better index with linked words.  The only thing I can't get around is the "Q Tank"...  I would need to use a 1 letter search and every word in the book would appear as a index optional entry.  However, I did get Negative Buoyancy Tank as an entry...

The latest file uploaded is INDEX.pdf...  How does this one look?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2980 on: 25 Mar , 2016, 00:54 »
Don.
Again an improvement, however f.inst. if you are looking at the word bow you get almost 50 pages with the word bow, of which more than 2/3 are containing   "unimportant" words like bow vents, bow tanks  etc not really the bow itself. I guess more than 10-15 pages containing the relevant word makes it a bit cumbersome to use,  it would be an advantage to get rid of this problem f. inst. by making a search instruction like if you want an info on the bow design like Atlantic bow, bow flare, bow hawser etc you use linked words to limit the pages. I guess by checking all the words giving a search result of more than 10-15 pages it might be possible to find a system to overcome this problem. It exists probably a solution made by others somewhere out there as it ought to be a common problem I guess.
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Mar , 2016, 00:58 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2981 on: 25 Mar , 2016, 12:56 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

It looks like I can get around most of the issues you have brought up by refining the word list to multiple words instead of one word.  I have incorporated many of your suggestions in the latest uploaded INDEX.pdf to dropbox.  I even did a separate index project with 1 letter and created a two word index for Q Tank/Q Tanks, then I copied it into the final Word/PDF files...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 25 Mar , 2016, 16:27 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2982 on: 25 Mar , 2016, 23:47 »
Don.
Much better and very usable. Somehow a few items like Papenberg, IMO, Roots (blower), galley,MAN, Krupp Germaniawerft are missing whereaes you got f. inst. Telefunken. It could be many more of course, may be you are able to fix this and you`ll have an approved handy system.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2983 on: 26 Mar , 2016, 18:31 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I spent several hours going through the index and eliminated most of the long page entries with further word extensions.  However, I did leave a few of the long page entries because this was pertinent data.  I believe the latest INDEX.pdf in dropbox looks fairly usable with all your help.  Thank you sir for your expert assistance...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2984 on: 27 Mar , 2016, 00:07 »
Don.
I guess you got the index solution. The Skizzenbook has become an unique hand book for everybody who wants to dive into details of the VIIC`s. Most of the questions raised over several years in my mailbox would be answered by your book I look forward to seeing the final printed result.
Tore