Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 592613 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2895 on: 24 Aug , 2015, 02:41 »
Don.
I guess you got the idea. I am not sure of your guidebar though, it could be the threaded bar has a sleeve with slots as shown on the image below. This system is used in the VIICs quite frequently on vents and flapvalves. The distance of the threaded bar from the centre bulkhead can be adjusted by putting shims between the bearing pedestal and the centre bulkhead.
I have tried to make a sketch showing the protecting pocket in the keel, my photo of the system does not show the Kingstons as it is an image of the museum U-995 where they have welded plates covering the kingston gate. I guess they don`t want have people trying to enter the tank.
Tore
« Last Edit: 24 Aug , 2015, 08:34 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2896 on: 24 Aug , 2015, 14:07 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I agree; there may not be a guide rod, they could have had a guide track welded to the longitudinal bulkhead, or a multitude of ways to keep the carriers from turning; especially since the threaded shaft is exposed to sea water and the threads could have rusted. Making the carriier drive shaft difficult to turn.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2897 on: 24 Aug , 2015, 20:14 »
Hello Mr. Tore, Maciek, Mark, and Simon,

I have uploaded the latest version of "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M" to dropbox.  I still have to update the Contributors section with additional info when available with photos.  I have done another English Grammar and Spelling check up to page 122. After I get the German text corrections from Mark, I will be updating the German text as well.

I sent Simon a PM through this web site, and I'm hoping it works.  I would like to assure that Simon gets the proper credit for his excellent drawings.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2898 on: 25 Aug , 2015, 22:40 »
Hello Mr. Tore, Maciek, Simon, and Mark,

so far I have reviewed up to page 211 in Skizzenbuch and added the info about Simon. 

Simon, I sent you a link to Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M, and please let me know if you have any issues with dropbox. Also, let me know if I need to make any changes to your Contributors entry...

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2899 on: 25 Aug , 2015, 23:22 »
Don.
I am right now in a remote area of the country having limited access to the net and not being able to download your latest version of your Skizzenbook, hope to be able to get back by coming weekend.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2900 on: 27 Aug , 2015, 18:37 »
Hi Tore

I found a little amount of free time yesterday so I took a look at my engine room drawing of the Cooling-water system & anti-corrosion oil-circulating system.

Would the valve ‘e’ be access but a small deck plate hatch or access by removing the whole deck plate?

Fig. 1. Red circle is the location of valve ‘e’ below deck.

Fig. 2. Red circle is the location of valve ‘e’ above deck.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2901 on: 27 Aug , 2015, 18:48 »

I have Grammar and Spell checked Skizzenbuck up to page 275 and posted the latest version "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M" into dropbox.

Maciek, I added the web site as per your request, Please let me know if it is OK?

Simon, I replaced the images I had with the new Hi-Res images you sent me = Thank you!

If anybody sees and documentation errors or errors of any kind, then please let me know so that I may correct them...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2902 on: 27 Aug , 2015, 23:50 »
Simon.
Good to have you back. The valve (e) is the coolingwater connection valve to the aft torpedo room. The elements there like E motors, compressors, thrustbearings and sterntubes have their own systems including pumps and back ups, thus this e valve is very seldom used. As I don't`t think this valve needs to be frequently operated,  I guess it would suffice to have access by a simple floorhatch or plate, possibly only floorplate.
I guess somehow your system drawing placed the (e) at the discharge pipe from stb main engine cooling waterpump and not to the connection pipe to the aft torpedoroom.The latter connection is a central pipe going directly aft. Kindly note the coolingwater digram plate 13 has a mistake, the suction connection to the stb enginedriven cooling waterpump as well as the electric driven reserve coolingwater pump are hooked up to the main coolingwater crossover line, on plate 13 it is marked as no connection.
Tore
« Last Edit: 30 Aug , 2015, 00:37 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2903 on: 28 Aug , 2015, 23:36 »
Don
Your latest Skizzenbuch. In your prologue, middle dawing diving sequence page VIII, you still have a wrong wording on the venting of MBT3.
.........there is a ventvalve lever on both sides of the control room to blow the ballast for MBT3...... As you know and mentioned before you don`t blow the ballast by these venting levers. ;D
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2904 on: 31 Aug , 2015, 14:14 »

Mr. Tore - I corrected the dumb mistake in the prologue, thanks for keeping me correct!

Maciek - I added the info you provides about the Fwd Torpedo Room Gyro Angle Receiver and thanks for the info.

Mark - Thanks for the info on the German text, I updated Skizzenbuch with what you provided and I went through the rest of the indexes.  I corrected the miss spelled that I could find (there were several) and checked them with a web German translator to verify my changes.  It would be probably best to use the latest version of Skizzenbuch in dropbox.

I updated Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M with the latest changes, and I have about 50 pages to verify the text for Grammar and spelling...

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2905 on: 02 Sep , 2015, 01:22 »

I have finished my grammar and text review and placed the latest version of "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M" in dropbox.

If no issues are raised, then I will most likely print this version to take with me to Schiffer Publishing next week.  Wish me luck...

Kind Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2906 on: 06 Sep , 2015, 21:40 »

I have uploaded the latest version of "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M" into dropbox.  This version has all the German text corrections.

Mark has done a fantastic job in helping me with the spelling and symbols in the German text in the indexes.  For over a week, Mark has worked with me on a time intensive job.  I have worked on an average about 16 hours per day, and one all-night-er, and I know Mark has done the same.  I can't thank Mark enough for his tireless effort.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2907 on: 25 Sep , 2015, 08:36 »
Hi Tore,

some time ago we had a short discussion on the naval uniforms. I have a request to you: could you please identify the uniform visible on the attached photo?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2908 on: 25 Sep , 2015, 10:54 »
Maciek.
I am not at all very  conversant with the different naval uniforms so this is just guesswork. I guess it is a German oberleutenant zur zee looking at the cap. after WW2. If it is an east German naval uniform it must be later than 1990 as the shoulderboards are removed. As you cannot see how many buttons the are on the jacket it is hard to tell whether there is a Bundesmarine or a late east German uniform, the early east German jacket had 10 buttons whereas the Bundesmarine I guess had 8 as the later east German naval uniform. I am sure there are other people having a better founded opinion.
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Sep , 2015, 10:56 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2909 on: 28 Sep , 2015, 02:16 »
Hi Tore,

thank you for your answer.

Best regards
Maciek