Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 593524 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2595 on: 07 Apr , 2015, 01:45 »
Hi Gentlemen,

Page 425 - added some info on KDB.

Some time ago, I have done a query (related with the KDB) on the reports published on the uboatarchive.net site. The results are here: http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,18432.msg204976.html#msg204976

Generally, it seems that KDB was abandoned since mid-1943.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2596 on: 07 Apr , 2015, 21:47 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I added 2 pages (434-435) to Skizzenbuch to cover RADAR briefly...  I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox for your approval.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2597 on: 08 Apr , 2015, 00:23 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I only count 14....

The formidable fleet of 15 U-Boats, U-294, -295, -312, -313, -363, -427, -481, -668, -716, -968, -997, -1165, -278, and -992 sailed on May 16th 1945 southwards bound.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2598 on: 08 Apr , 2015, 00:55 »
Don.
Right you are, I forgot the "trigger" for my memory U- 278. As she joined the convoy as well makes the total 15. ;D
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2599 on: 08 Apr , 2015, 10:07 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

But U-278 is in the list....

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2600 on: 08 Apr , 2015, 11:01 »
Don.
Indeed, so I had to check the list once more and found that U-318 is missing. In addition to this list the convoys included Grille, Hitlers former yacht, Huscarean a submarine depot ship,  Kamerun a minelayer, Stella Polaris an ex. Norwegian passengervessel and a naval tanker Kaernten. Only the Uboats continued to Loch Eriboll, the other ships continued to Trondheim. U315 CO. Zoller and U 318 CO. Will wanted to go on fighting instead of obeying order from Captain U/B northern waters, Reinhard Suhren. However upon a repeated order from Suhren they gave up.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 Apr , 2015, 14:38 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2601 on: 08 Apr , 2015, 23:44 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Mr. Tore - thanks for the additional information.  I have 2 paragraph on page 437 concerning 'After Germany's Surrender" I added stuff like full names and rank.  I hope I didn't get it messed up...

Maciek - thanks for the email and links to the RADAR information.  I read through everything and I believe I got it better,  I made some assumptions on my own as to the location of the receiver modules.  The RADAR pages are 434 - 435.  I hope I'm not way off base...

However, if I am wrong.  Will you all please let me know...  I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2602 on: 09 Apr , 2015, 01:48 »
Don.
Just a small correction to your last "Skizzenbuch". In addition to U 315 the U-318 CO. Josef Will was in for continue fighting in the beginning.
Tore.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2603 on: 09 Apr , 2015, 03:40 »
Hi Tore,

during some researches I have found information, that U663, before leaving Bergen for her first war patrol, had a collision with something called Felsen. I guess, that it was either ship or underwater rock or shoal. Do you know something having this name near Bergen?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2604 on: 09 Apr , 2015, 05:12 »
Maciek.
To my knowledge there are no area or place in Norway called Felsen, neither is it a Norwegian name. However in the Bergen area there are many places which the Germans would name Felsen, so I guess it could be any place on the Norwegian coast.
Today 9. April  we are commemorating 75 years since the German invasion of Norway. Prior to the invasion the famous Polish submarine Orzel operating  in the RN 2nd. submarine flotilla outside the Norwegian coast, sank  April 8. the German troop ship Rio de Janeiro disguised as a cargoship hiding the invasion equipment and troops in the cargohold. As the soldiers were rescued by the Norwegians they told their story but nobody would believed  what they told. That very night to April 9. the invasion came.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Apr , 2015, 05:15 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2605 on: 10 Apr , 2015, 12:21 »
Hello Mr.Tore,

U-318 was not in the list of 15 U-Boats...  Do I need to add another U-Boat to the lost or correct a name?

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2606 on: 10 Apr , 2015, 14:31 »
Don.
 U 318 was the missing 15 th. Uboat to be added to the list. See my post April 8th. the list is corrected by U 318. The fact is that on May 8th. it was 12 U boats in Narvik, 3 of the last Uboats came in May 9 th. namely U 278, U 318 and U-992. making a total of 15.
Tore

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2607 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 00:24 »
Hello Tore,

me again with another technical question   ;)

Please take a look at the attached pictures, showing the vents near by the kiel of the typeseven. Years ago I read somewhere that the vents were always open (as shown on the kit pictures) no matter if the boat was submerged or operating on the surface. I wonder if this information is correct? Many modelers of the typeseven kits are showing the vents closed, are they wrong?

Thanks in advance
falo

P.S.:
I caught the attached pictures a view years ago from this thread, started by member "Jan" in 2008:
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=68.0
Today sad to say the pictures of this thread are inactive.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2608 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 01:19 »
Falo.
The Kingstons,(Flutklappen) were shut when you  was alongside for some time f. inst refitting/ repairs. We kept the Kingstons shut when f.inst we expected unauthorised people on board, like a coctail party. It could happen somebody felt like removing the locking pin and pulled one of the ventlever of the main ballast tanks. On my model I made separate Kingston in an open position, see image below.
Tore

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2609 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 02:09 »
Hi Tore,

thank you very much for you fast reply and the attached picture (by the way great looking model).

So if I understand your answer right you operated with opened "Flutklappen"/Kingstons during operations (I mean far away from harbour or yard) no matter if dived or surfaced? Resp. the opened Kingstons were standard during patrols?

Sorry for asking again.

Regards
falo

P.S.: Hence the Eduard photo etchings (1/72 scale) for there Kingstons are not correct because they offer a grid solution (?)