Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 595130 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2130 on: 26 Aug , 2014, 21:08 »
Great news Mr. Tore about scanning the document...  That is definitely one item I would like to place in the Wallet folder in the back of my personal Skizzenbuch.

I believe scanning the High Voltage General Schematic will save something that is most-likely a one of a kind document; something like preserving a Rembrandt, or a Picasso (I may be exaggerating some what), but I'm glad to see that happen...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2131 on: 26 Aug , 2014, 23:59 »
Don-
Well, comparing a shabby 2nd. copy of a bad blueprint with an original Rembrandt is may be a bit far fetched. Anyhow it can`t be better than my bad drawing. But seriously these were the kind of drawings we had to use to keep the boat running at that time. If worst come to the worst we might use the good old mail, however it is my intention to donate same to the Naval Museum where the rest of my books,notes and drawings are. ;)
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2132 on: 01 Sep , 2014, 07:04 »
Museum U 995 schnorchel.
We have many times mentioned the differences between the original U 995 and the museumexecution. The schnorchel is one of the differences. In fact U 995 did never operated as a schnorchel boat during WW2. She was still at the yard in Trondheim , Norway installing the schnorchel May 1945. The original schnorcheltype had the ringfloat type of air intakevalve and operated with this type of schnorchel all the time under Norwegian flag. For some reasons the museum U-995 has got an incomplete execution of the hinged type float mast.
Tore
« Last Edit: 01 Sep , 2014, 07:06 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2133 on: 06 Sep , 2014, 18:06 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

a few questions about Schnorcheling...  (ah snorkeling)?

U-995...
Q1.  What was the top speed while schnorcheling?
Q2.  Could the attach periscope be up at that speed?
Q3.  Were they not completely blind at top speed?  (I would not believe they could listen for enemy or targets while the Diesel Engine/s were running submerged).
Q4.  Could they run both diesel engines while Schnorcheling?
Q5.  If schnorcheling and attached by aircraft, did the schnorcheling mast up present any problems while diving for safety;  depth limitations or maneuvering issues with the mast up?
Q6.  Could they lower the mast while diving or while submerged?

We need some more activity on this thread... I may update my Skizzenbuch with more great information from Mr. Tore...

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2134 on: 07 Sep , 2014, 01:09 »
Don-
Snorting.
Schnorcheling is the German word for a Dutch system allthough known for many years before the dutch invention. In RN English the word used was snorting.
Q 1. The theoretical construction strength of a VIIC snort mast could take max. 6,5 knots I believe.
Q 2. We used the periscope while snorting.
Q 3. We were not completely blind, but one of the big disadvantages while snorting, regardless the speed,  was the diesel engine noise and you could not use the passive sonar.
Q 4. You could run both diesels while snorting but limiting factors like underpressure, backpressure and speed would not give you much advantages of doing so.
Q 5. You could could go deeper while snorting shutting down the diesel immediately. and you would lower the mast while doing so.
Q 6. We mostly raised and lowered the mast while submerged, but you could do this surfaced as well.

A remark concerning my personal experience. We had an event before my submarine training course in UK, may be you recall the disaster of HMS Affray a British A class submarine. The training class 2 years ahead of mine was on board on a final snorting training in the English channel when she disappeared with all hands lost including the whole trainingclass, totalling 75 men. She was eventually found with the snortmast raised but broken. The discussion of the reason for the disaster was at my time still going on and in spite of the German snorting instructions I was a bit cautious as to pushing limits while snorting. One of the alternative snort propulsion, direct dieseldrive, we found a bit difficult to practise as the boat was no easy to handle, so we preferred electric propulsion running one diesel and generator as battery charger.
 However as to HMS Affray I guess the conclusion was battery explosion and the broken snortmast was a secondary  damage. 
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Sep , 2014, 14:23 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2136 on: 08 Sep , 2014, 22:18 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Thank you all for the information on the Schnorchel (I learned how to spell in right this time)...  I'll have to go back and correct the spelling in my Schizzenbuch!

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2137 on: 09 Sep , 2014, 00:53 »
Hi Gentlemen,

regarding to Schnorchel, I have attached the Schnorchel Befehlsprache - list of commands used when Schnorcheling.
Some time ago, I have written article about Schnorchel in Ubootwaffe:
http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/okrety/wyposazenie/chrapy
It is in Polish (I do not have time to translate it), but maybe you will find interesting drawings or photos, and if you will get
interested in some part, I will be happy to translate or explain it.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2138 on: 09 Sep , 2014, 13:34 »
Hi Maciek,

Great articale...  Not a problem with the translation; Google Chrome asks if you want this page translated and does so...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2139 on: 12 Sep , 2014, 20:18 »
Gentlemen,

Does this photo look like the BOLD decoy launcher which is located in the Aft Torpedo room...  I believe the long red handle is to unlock the inner door and it swings open on the hinge.  The bolt decoy in loaded into the tube and the inner door is closed and locked.  Then the red hand-wheel opens the outer door and the bolt decoy is launched with HP air.  The only thing I don't see is the triggering device.  Am I close to correct?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 13 Sep , 2014, 11:25 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2140 on: 13 Sep , 2014, 00:38 »
Don.
It is indeed a decoylauncher which the Germans called a Pillenwerfer. The device did not have much of a trigger but rather a handwheel, the blue coloured wheel on your photo, admitting air behind a launchingpiston inside the tube. It is an interlock preventing the outer cover to be opened unless the inner cover is shut. The pipeconnection on the top is the launch airconnection, while the lower small pipe is the drain. Otherwise you are pretty much correct in your assumptions. The Pillenwerfer was used for many purposes like launching canisters filled with magnesium pellets which, when in contact with the seawater produced bubbles giving a sonar echo resembling a submarine. In peacetime we very often used small rockets indicating a torpedo launch during exercises. It could of course be used for launching distres-signals as well.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2141 on: 15 Sep , 2014, 01:26 »
Hi Gentlemen,

my small addition to Tore's info:

external photos of the Bold ejector: http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=1150.msg14860#msg14860
drawings: http://u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/visitaguiada/lanzasenyuelos/lanzasenyuelos.htm

Many pieces of info you can find on the uboatarchive.net website, searching the term "S.B.T." (Submarine
Bubble Target).

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2142 on: 19 Sep , 2014, 01:19 »
Don.
Trimming pump/trimcontroller.
I just happen to check you explanation of the system on page 30 in your Skizzenbook and believe you should include the trim flowmeter in your explanation. The reason is that when the pumpman operated the pump and the trimcontroller his eyes were fixed on the flowmeter in order to compensate the correct amount which some time could be within narrow limits. F.inst. as I have mentioned before, prior to the order "Diving station" the pumpman got the order from the officer on watch: pump 400 liters from aft to forward as this was by experience the exact amount needed to compensate the movement of the crew for such an order.
The trim flowmeter is correctly marked on the sketch by the green arrow.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2143 on: 19 Sep , 2014, 11:54 »
Thank you again Mr. Tore,

I have added the information to page 30.  Usually over the weekend, I update the main Skizzenbuch PDF file and copy it to dropbox and you have access to any updates. 

I just got a response to an email to the U-Boote Museum in Cuxhaven, Germany, and they have a manual that is a treasure trove of information on the switchboards and e-motors.  With a great deal of help from Maciek, I will most likely have to re-write much of the switchboard and e-motor section.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2144 on: 20 Sep , 2014, 01:26 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch fueloil supply pipe.
On page 67 you show a fuelsupply scheme of the fuelsupply from the daytank/ settlingtank to the engine driven fuel supplypump. This might be a bit confusing for an ordinary VIIC as the system shows a MAN engine configuration having the enginedriven supply pump in the aft end of the engine. The most common system is that of the GW engine having the fuel supply pump and filters up front of the engine. The picture below shows the GW system with cocks, filters and pump. After the double filters the supply pipe goes to a knifefilter (with drain to the dirty fueltank) behind the HP fuelpumps ( on top of the camshaft casing) and then to the common supply pipe to the HP fuelpumps.
Tore