Author Topic: conning tower interior / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 20532 times)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
Re: conning tower interior / 3D model / 1/72
« Reply #30 on: 17 May , 2012, 04:45 »
Oh, well i've added already some of those, though i made them quite simplified, since i cannot make connections with printing, however i could make separate gauges as cylinders and connect them with wire, so they would still "float", currently they are incorporated into the walls of the compartment (see the last attached rendering), feel free to suggest if i should leave it as solid wall incorporation for strength or connect them with wire.

Oh, no problem, feel free to take your time and post the reinforcement detail as time will allow you, there is no rush, i can still work on the other side detail interior bits, and make the roof of the compartment with reinforcements later on :)
« Last Edit: 17 May , 2012, 04:47 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #31 on: 17 May , 2012, 05:15 »
The cylinders shown on your rendering seems Ok to me. I don`t know how much details you want to put in, but the picture I show is the steering position of the tower,  and as such the equipment shown is directly connected to the maneuvering of the vessel. Another section contain the equipment (boxes) related to the torpedo firing all the boxes are connected to electrical wires. Anyhow it is a certain system in the grouping the boxes.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #32 on: 17 May , 2012, 20:15 »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #33 on: 18 May , 2012, 10:15 »
huuuh, this was tough job.

i had to trick the program since holes have already been made, and i could not trim without an edge...lots of mirroring and re-combining, anyways, here is the result :)
had to seriously remodify  the periscope top, though the interior looks much more "full" with addition of these ribs, maybe they are a bit too thick, but i made them bit larger so there will be some analogy among other parts in terms of dimensions.

what is done till now, with some transparency applied; note, when built, this will be "only" 52mm long (inluding the periscope casing), 42 without, wide  25mm and 31 mm high (all external dimensions):
« Last Edit: 18 May , 2012, 10:25 by Marko »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #34 on: 18 May , 2012, 10:51 »
That does not look too bad Marko! It is more spacious than say a 1:72 scale aircraft cockpit... but plenty to work from and add personal super-detailing!
Is there an extra girder between the periscope hole and the athwartship girder  compared to Simon's layout?
Christopher
« Last Edit: 18 May , 2012, 10:55 by TopherVIIC »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #35 on: 18 May , 2012, 10:56 »
not sure if you mean the diagonal one or the short connector between the two, but here is best close up i could make :)

TopherVIIC

« Reply #36 on: 18 May , 2012, 11:24 »
Marko
This one compared to SImon's sketch:

It also might work better and be easier to print if you used a PE ladder or a model railroad ladder to keep the scale of the ladder tubes proportionately slim... Just an idea
Christopher
« Last Edit: 18 May , 2012, 11:27 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #37 on: 18 May , 2012, 11:49 »
I`m afraid the construction is becoming even more complicated as the big hole for the attackperiscope has an elaborated stiffening including the packingbox and the foundation for the very sturdy periscopestand on the top of the cover as indicated on the crossectiondrawing below. But there is of course a limit to what you can incoporate.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #38 on: 18 May , 2012, 12:01 »

I`m afraid the construction is becoming even more complicated as the big hole for the attackperiscope has an elaborated stiffening including the packingbox and the foundation for the very sturdy periscopestand on the top of the cover as indicated on the crossectiondrawing below. But there is of course a limit to what you can incoporate.
Tore

The part I outlined in yellow could be changed into the stiffening and stuffing box for the periscope... I suppose.
Tore - Is the interior stiffening in the Type VIIC/41 anything like in Vesikko at this panorama?http://www.kolumbus.fi/mika.ajomaa/Panorama_2_files/1.swf ? I know Vesikko is a Type II but wondered if the overhead members were similar
Christopher
« Last Edit: 18 May , 2012, 12:04 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #39 on: 18 May , 2012, 12:37 »
I don`t think so Christopher. The stiffeners were much wider and went all the way connected to the rim around the periscopehole and hatchhole. I believe the periscopestand support on VIIC/41 was welded to the outer part of the towercower.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #40 on: 18 May , 2012, 12:46 »
i assume i could do with the PE ladder, if i manage to find one, and not to mention those valve wheels, need whole bunch of those in different sizes, though i am not sure where to start looking for them.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #41 on: 18 May , 2012, 13:12 »
Just a small detail on the ladder, it is fixed to the inside of the hatchhole. The steps were curved outwards but the last step inwards and there were handrails.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #42 on: 18 May , 2012, 18:44 »
In real life the 45

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #43 on: 19 May , 2012, 08:33 »
Simons detailed and high resolution drawings explain more than words of course, but I got hold of an inside photo of bad quality showing the towertop on U 995. May be it gives some help you can any how see the ladder and some of the strengtheningribs..
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #44 on: 19 May , 2012, 09:03 »
ladder modified, however i wont be able to incorporate it into the hatch due to small dimensions in 1/72 scale, i am also thinking of leaving the diagonal girder in place despite the thickness, since it adds a nice touch to the detail, and i real life there is a support there, just cant make it so thin. Ive added some more various boxes according to photos that i have, also a speaker? on the top near the top hatch.