Author Topic: conning tower interior / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 20528 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: conning tower interior / 3D model / 1/72
« Reply #15 on: 14 May , 2012, 23:08 »
That is the fwd periscope and the guy actually the CO operating it takes the bearing of a ligthhouse which we torpedoed for the honour of a journalist beeing onboard for a short trip.
The attack periscope could only be operated from the conningtower.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #16 on: 14 May , 2012, 23:41 »
Oh, well this was already done by CMK on their lower compartment, so there is no issue regarding that. However, on your photo, someone is at the periscope. Is that periscope the forward periscope - sea-to air periscope? Or could be main persicope also used in the command section?

I also noticed, that tower interior stretches all the way to command section, so i extruded it roughly 6 mm below main deck (on the render marked as gray). I've also cut the mating surfaces to the exterior, so i will be doing the whole tower interior (all the plumbing)

I am afraid a don`t fully understand your notice that the tower interior is going all the way into the controlroom, the part going into the controlroom and main ballasttank 3 is only the closed "tube" to accommodate the lowering of the attackperiscope. In the controlroom it just look like a circular bulkhead almost dividing the controlroom in fwd and aft section.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 15 May , 2012, 01:56 »
well, what i ment was, that the joint between the conning tower interior and the pressure hull interior is made below main deck. Conning interior extends little bit below main deck, or is between main pressure hull interior and conning tower interior a solid piece of material, so that conning tower interior starts at the main deck line?

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #18 on: 15 May , 2012, 09:28 »
Here is the rendering which might explain precisely what i mean "below main deck":
i also started on the surface-to air housing of the periscope, and there you see the beginnings of the main periscope design (main body done, now to the details)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #19 on: 15 May , 2012, 11:04 »
Marko
I believe the conningtower steelshell is welded to the outside surface of the pessurehullplate and the "deck" in the tower is only a ligth floor which make a flat flooring to avoid the curvature of the pressurehull, thus the structure of the conningtower ( apart from the hatch) does not protrude into the controlroom.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 15 May , 2012, 11:35 »
Okay, so its Okay that i have lengthen it since otherwise it would just sit on the main deck, not seated to the main pressure hull skin.

here is a little bit of progress, i am worried how will the periscope body fall out in printing, since the dimensions are really really small.

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #21 on: 15 May , 2012, 17:40 »
well, i decided to enlarge the periscope, since i was not comfortable with the thin segments, also made some of the interior, this is what i came up with so far, with photos found online and in previous threads. This is another compartment which will be crammed up with wiring, so a lot of detail will come later on:

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #22 on: 15 May , 2012, 23:40 »
Marko
 One element hasn`t been mentioned as to the upper part of the conningtower, the collisionstrengthening. The submarine hunting involved ramming as a weapon and the upper part of the tower was  susceptible. quite a few submarines were rammed and survived. The top of the tower and even the periscopestand was constructed in order to (within limits) withstand collision. A visible element are the girders under the strong topcover as indicated on the picture below.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 16 May , 2012, 03:28 »
are those girders placed in the internal position in the conning tower, or on the outside?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #24 on: 16 May , 2012, 09:57 »
Marko.
The whole top of the conningtower is a cast steel piece and the ribs are intergrated in the casting and the ribs are protruding inwards. The one piece casting is welded to the towershell.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #25 on: 16 May , 2012, 11:26 »
Marko, some additional info on the ribs. I believe the pattern of the ribs was like my hastely rough  sketch where I have attempted to mark the ribs red. I`m not sure about possible ribs at the periscopehole, may be Simon knows.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #26 on: 16 May , 2012, 14:12 »
Marko, some additional info on the ribs. I believe the pattern of the ribs was like my hastely rough  sketch where I have attempted to mark the ribs red. I`m not sure about possible ribs at the periscopehole, may be Simon knows.
Tore

This is very near to it true layout. I will post the layout after I come back from work today.

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #27 on: 16 May , 2012, 23:31 »
Okay, will wait with modifications till then, i noticed on photos that there are numerous small boxes connected with cables, so i will add also those, will help guiding at assembly where to put the wiring in.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #28 on: 17 May , 2012, 03:29 »
Okay, will wait with modifications till then, i noticed on photos that there are numerous small boxes connected with cables, so i will add also those, will help guiding at assembly where to put the wiring in.

Marko, I was to tried when I got home tonight, so will post it tomorrow for you.  Also if you are after some of the piping and openings in the top of the conning tower casting, check out my PDF drawing I have started to add them. The three on the port side are opening for Order Telegraph and the one on the starboard side is for the Voice Tube.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #29 on: 17 May , 2012, 04:35 »
Marko.
I have marked a few items in the conningtower on the posted picture below in addition there are numerous instruments and boxes related to the torpedofiring.
Tore