Author Topic: revell 1/144 type VIIc  (Read 4303 times)

Offline kurt

• Ensign
revell 1/144 type VIIc
« on: 01 May , 2012, 14:48 »
Has anyone here went all out on the Revell 1/144 version of the VIIc to the extent of the big (1/72) guys?  I would like that to be my next project.  I don't have the space at this time to do the larger one.  I've downloaded Dougie and Wink's Wolf Pack Articles and will wade through those.  I have the Griffon PE on the way (supposedly). Has anyone successfully downsized and duplicated the PE inserts for vents, etc from thin plastic sheeting or brass  successfully. I've Google translated the Spanish VIId article.  I have been away from modelling a couple of years and was in the middle of the Academy Warspite, when I stumbled on this site and was blown away.  I'm halfway throught the obligatory Iron Coffins and can't wait to start.  Any thoughts or suggestions, would be more than welcome.  I had been in contact with Wink a number of years ago when he was envolved with his Gato. Figured there aren't to many American transplant Aussies named Wink.\
Kurt

Offline kurt

• Ensign
Re: revell 1/144 type VIIc
« Reply #1 on: 02 May , 2012, 06:25 »
In getting ready to start my project, I have downloaded and printed out Dougie and Wink's, The Wolf Pack. I must say that it is an amazing piece of work. I don't think I've ever come across anything like it.  It is really well written. Thanks for taking the time to put something like this together. Double thanks for sharing it!!!!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 02 May , 2012, 06:28 »
Hi Kurt, thanks for the kind words. Wolf Pack is all Dougie. he has done amazing work.

here are at least one or two folks who have done some great things in 1:144, but some of the detail is just not there, so it is a torture.  I'll see what I can dig up!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: 02 May , 2012, 07:53 »
Hi Wink,
You and I were in contact about 5 years ago when you were building your Gato.  I drifted away from modeling and recently got back in.  I stumbled by accident on Siara's build and got hooked. I know there will have to be concessions made in downsizing, but I think I'll like the challange. I think I'd be better off omitting things than doing them wrong or overscale, but what is there should be as accurate as I can do it.  I'm looking forward to this. Right now I'm in the research part.
Kurt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 03 May , 2012, 01:37 »
Hi Kurt,

That's a great model attitude and philosophy!

This is a link to a great 1:144 build, you may have seen it (link is in a thread here)

http://www.u-modelismo.com/foromodelismonaval/index.php?topic=1340.0

It might help.

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: 03 May , 2012, 03:17 »
Thanks Wink,
I saw that the other day and Google translated it, I hope that he goes further with the tread, I did get some ideas. 
Kurt

TopherVIIC

« Reply #6 on: 03 May , 2012, 07:10 »
Kurt,
The research part is the most fun! There is a LOT of stuff to research! Happy Model Making!
Christopher

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: 04 May , 2012, 20:09 »
I broke down today and ordered the 1/72 scale boat.  I just have to do this right!  This is going to be a no rush project, and all out (I hope).  I'm sure I will be looking for a lot of help here.

Kurt

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: 05 May , 2012, 08:54 »
Well, I decided to make this project a personal challange.  I have had many unfinished projects over the years because I didn't like the way things were going.  This time I will see this to the end.  While I'm waiting for my boot to come, I'm half way through the Wolf Pack articles for the first time read.  Then I'll go through Siara's build in detail. That's what got me here in the first place. I'm glad I found this forum, I'm sure I will make much use of it and be a pain in the but with my questions.

Kurt

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: 05 May , 2012, 12:02 »
ready to help you (as far as i can) and, as you said, no rush and dont give up on a project you believe in
SG
« Last Edit: 05 May , 2012, 12:06 by SG »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #10 on: 05 May , 2012, 14:58 »
Kurt,
I am no stranger to putzing with a thing till it is right. I don't know how many times I have built and rebuilt parts on my cut-away scratch buildonly to hav it nag me to do it a different way. I will publish a photo of my "scrap yard" sometime. If I put it on a diorama seabed floor and filled it with resin water, it would look like a legitimate U-boat wreck.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the people here. Many people know quite a lot here, and they are good, pleasant company.
Christoper

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: 06 May , 2012, 06:09 »
Kurt, this is fantastic news! You would have put sooo much effort into the smaller scale, and not got the payoffs. I am confident you will make this boat shine! Start a thread on your build and we'll follow!
Topher has wise words, and Sg an kind offer.

We standby for the shipyard to open...

Offline kurt

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: 07 May , 2012, 08:45 »
Well, I'm done with Dougie's tome.  That was the most complete documentation related to a model that I've ever seen.  How long did that take to compile?  Just started going through Siara's build on Subsim, I know parts are here, but that seems to be the place to see it all in one piece.  I read Glenn Cauley's builds at work yesterday (quiet day). Any advice from the gurus here would be more than appreciated. Later.

Kurt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: 14 May , 2012, 05:32 »
Dougie did a lot of research. Siara is an amazing modeler.

Advice - pick your boat and roll up your sleeves!