Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78034 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #210 on: 26 Apr , 2012, 12:52 »
Christopher
I got a detail picture (bad) of this area where you hopefully can see how it normally looked like. The tables were easy to remove but as rule fitted as shown.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #211 on: 26 Apr , 2012, 14:47 »
Hi Christopher

Really, really awesome work!

I think, you should remove two elements from the bulkhead: at port side AGOS box (discussed here:
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=921.msg10979#msg10979) and at stb side - electric heater.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #212 on: 26 Apr , 2012, 23:22 »
You are rigth Markos, I overlooked these elements.
tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #213 on: 27 Apr , 2012, 05:40 »
I figured the AGOS box would have to go. I put that in before the AGOS discussion happened - but I did not know the electric heater was post-period for a german VIIC/41. Damn...and I even put in a photoetched grill in it... Oh well, I will remove them! :-) Thanks
Christopher

TopherVIIC

« Reply #214 on: 01 May , 2012, 19:10 »
Gentlemen -
I have two sets of questions.

1) I have questions about the emergency life raft containers fitted in the decks of late period boats. Were they all the same vertical size? Were they a standard unit, or were they different sizes? Also, did they sit dead vertical or did they fit the angle of the exterior deck? I am guessing the diameter of the container where it pierces the deck is about 700mm. Does that sound right? Lastly, about the containers - does anyone know if they were just fitted to the deck or was there other supporting framework belowdeck?

2) The bollard mounts - were they a closed box with the two extendible bollards set in them, or were they open frames that held the bollards?
I ask because with my cut-away you will be seeing parts people do not normally see. Thanks.

Christopher.
« Last Edit: 01 May , 2012, 19:17 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #215 on: 01 May , 2012, 23:58 »
Raftcontainers
The raft container were  very easy fit ( I`ll probably find some details which i`ll mail later). Allthough most of the latest VIICs had four containers there were different numbers.  1945 U 995 had no container (see picture below), we put in two, and our other VIICs had different numbers. I don`t know about the details of the rafts but are mailing a picture of the type we had. We used it primarely for putting commandoes ashore.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2012, 10:00 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #216 on: 02 May , 2012, 10:20 »
Christopher
I`m sorry for some mistakes in the last post, I realized there were two pictures of the same kind the very moment I mailed it, but I`m rigth now at my farm very remote in the deep forrests of Norway had have very limited access to internet. The connection was shut the minute after I mailed it. Here is correction and more pictures. First the photo of the raft we used. Then the photo of the photo of KNM Kya having 3 containers and KNM Kinn having 4 containers. As you know most of the VIICs have four containers, they were exellent storage for potatoes.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #217 on: 02 May , 2012, 10:34 »
Tore-
Excellent information Sir! Thank you. I am putting three containers into my boat - perhaps I will build one cut-away and loaded with potatoes!
Were the rafts you used Norwegian or were they German Surplus? Also, were they inflated from cartridge, or did you hook up a low pressure airline to them once they were deployed out of their containers?
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #218 on: 02 May , 2012, 10:39 »
Christopher
The raft containers were 90 degrees to the wooden deck and you migth be able to figure out how on the bad photo below. They were all of the same size.
Your 700 mm diameter above deck seems reasonable to me.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2012, 13:09 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #219 on: 02 May , 2012, 10:50 »
I really don`t know, but would presume they were German surplus. I don`t think we had cartridges, I seem to remember I pumped it up from a hose ( when I was on a fishingtrip in the fjords.) Otherwise, as I said they were officially for use of our Navy Seals. Liferafts nobody ever mentioned.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #220 on: 02 May , 2012, 11:31 »
I have seen the Kaura containers norwegian version restauration Kiel..jpg pic. I wish I had a copy of it in higher resolution - that one looks like it could be full of details I could use in my build. If anyone has pics of type VIIC's or VIIC41's that have the decks ripped of, I would be greatly obliged... :-) Especially looking for details of the capstan and anchor winch mechanisms below the working casing...
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #221 on: 02 May , 2012, 13:08 »
I got hold of another photocopy of the German mounting of 4 containers instead of two on U 995 in Kiel. I`m not sure the resolution is any better but I`ll go for 2nd. try.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 May , 2012, 13:12 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #222 on: 03 May , 2012, 10:25 »
I`m mailing a  picture showing the containers. As far as I can establish the containers were mounted to a steelplate supported by girders rigth underneath the wooden deck, they were not in contact with the pressurehull. A british report on interogation of survivors from U 413, U 1209, U 877 and U 1199, conclude end 1944:
"VIIC U boats are now fitted with 4 pressuretigth containers on deck, three forward and one aft, each containing a 13 ft. dinghy. These containers project about 6 in. above the deck". I believe there were a great variation of the numbers  from 2 to 4. I guess they were hanging with the bottom about 100-150 mm above the pressurehull
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #223 on: 03 May , 2012, 11:07 »
Tore
Good Pic! Thank you! I am working on this section a bit, trying to get the casing built. I have found it useful to move to different sections of the model so my brain does not grow numb looking at the same parts.
I am going to try my hand at casting to make the containers. I will make sculpey clay masters for the closed bins, and am still debating making one cut-away bin, (so I may add the fourth container after all).
Then I will do RTR rubber molds, and finally resin castings. I am looking forward to this new challenge.

When I do U-35, I will not need these containers, but learning to do casting will be useful. Like I said, this is my training boat!

(Side note - I removed the electric heater and the AGOS Box, and added a bit more plumbing and electrical work on the bulkhead @ D.Spt 63., and am working on the deck extensions and angular plates near the torpedorohr inside caps)
Thanks again!
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #224 on: 03 May , 2012, 12:05 »
Christopher
This is the only drawing I have of the pressurecontainer. It looks to me that the uppr part of the cylinder has a sligthly larger diameter.
Tore