Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78052 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #165 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 06:54 »

I believe, it is not original, but maybe Tore will confirm this.
Maciek,
Do you have any pictures of this area on a Type VII? I have never seen one, and only got my picture from http://www.deutschland-panorama.de/museen/laboe_technisches_museum/ps/10_1051_06.php

Thanks for the info on the angled dive plane drive - That is what I thought it was, but did not realize it was incomplete. I have seen that on other photos. Did the shaft look like the currently red painted valve control shafts, with universal joints at the ends? It looks as if it ran above the HP banks, against the frames?
Is this the angled bar I see running down toward Rohr III on Sbd side above the trimzelle in this pic
tuboslanzatorpedosdepro.jpg

Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #166 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 07:19 »
I have an earlier very bad picture of the floorplating fwd torpedoroom which is posted below, plus a cut off of the original plating pattern below as well, based on those photoes it shold be possible to figure out how it looked like because I cannot remember for 100% sure. As you see the centerfloor (hatches) is quite different from present U-995.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #167 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 09:04 »
Do you have any pictures of this area on a Type VII? I have never seen one, and only got my picture from http://www.deutschland-panorama.de/museen/laboe_technisches_museum/ps/10_1051_06.php
Well, maybe these photos help - they are from Lothar-G

TopherVIIC

« Reply #168 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 09:18 »
Great! I need more detail here on my model!! Thanks!
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #169 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 10:01 »
Christopher
I tried to make a better view of the floorplates as below.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #170 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 10:15 »
That helps also Tore! Thanks
This is a highly visible part of my model from the cut-away section, and can use the detail. I will have stuff on the deck, and crew and of course the bunks (which I am still working on) but the basic decking needs to be represented.
Do you remember if the ends of the angled plates, near the torp tubes frames 73 - 74 were the original German sort of polyhedral construction as shown in the pic below or were they added when U995 became the Kaura (or after she became a museum ship?
AngleFloorPlateEnds.jpg
Christopher
« Last Edit: 20 Mar , 2012, 10:21 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #171 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 11:18 »
I cannot remember for 100% sure and it is a bit hard to see the pattern on your picture, but if you can figure out if it match the pattern on the floorplate cutout on my previous posted photo then I would go for it.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #172 on: 20 Mar , 2012, 11:29 »
Maciek and Christopher
I`m posting a photo of U 995s fwd torpedoroom stb side where the gauge is mounted on the empty space you noticed. To me it doesn`t look like a gyrorepeater, it could be a pressuregauge (depthgauge).
Tore

vonbulowfla

« Reply #173 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 20:54 »
if this is your first shipbuild god man cant wait to see your next !fine work my friend love the scale of 1/35 also i think it is a great scale to really go all out . 1/25 is also what i call builders scale !great work ladd cant wait to see more from you ! all the best ! :)

TopherVIIC

« Reply #174 on: 18 Apr , 2012, 22:33 »
if this is your first shipbuild god man cant wait to see your next !fine work my friend love the scale of 1/35 also i think it is a great scale to really go all out . 1/25 is also what i call builders scale !great work ladd cant wait to see more from you ! all the best !

Vonbulowfla -
Thank you sir! :-)
It is indeed my first ever ship build (other than helping a friend with rigging on a tall ship). I normally do 1:35 scale armor, and 1:16 scale figures. I have never done a 100% scratch-build like this.

For this build, I never set a particular real boat - she is sort of a generic VIIC/41.
I am going to finish this bow section, but I admit I am thinking about the U-35 I plan to do.

I have a growing list of items, methods, and techniques I am going to upgrade on U-35, but I will learn as much as I can from this one. (I also have to locate good VIIA drawings, as I plan to render U-35 from stem to stern.)

Das ist meine "Schule-Boot!"

Take care...
Christopher

vonbulowfla

« Reply #175 on: 19 Apr , 2012, 07:44 »
christopher ' again i say outstanding work and you answered a question i forgot to ask if you are going to build the whole type 7 . cannot wait to see more till then god bless and happy building ! :)

TopherVIIC

« Reply #176 on: 19 Apr , 2012, 20:43 »
Gentlemen...
I have read on various ship structure reports that square cut holes in hulls were a bad thing. I have worked enough steel in industrial settings to believe this to be true.
This leads me to question if these rather rectilinear holes and what looks like rain channels were cut into and welded on  U-995, possibly when she became a museum ship.They look like added on rain gutters.
Tore's lovely portside photo of the Kaura  with crew on deck and Fjords in the background does not look (to me) that it has the channels, but the waterline may be obscuring them if they are there. Do you remember, Tore?
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #177 on: 19 Apr , 2012, 23:15 »
Christopher
You are quite rigth in your assumption. The VIICs didn`t have these  gutters and square drainholes. I guess this is made by the museumspeople in order to prevent rusty bleeding down the hullside. I have seen modellers go to painstaking efforts to get these gutters copied. Again don`t copy the Laboe U 995 if you want acorrect VIIC/41 model.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #178 on: 19 Apr , 2012, 23:33 »
Tore -
That is what I thought. I am working on the Bb side of the upper casing, and the frames and flood holes there and I wanted to make sure I did not put in holes where there should be none! I am quite leery of the current U-995, and am looking out for traps!

Tusen takk, Tore

Christopher
« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2012, 23:36 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #179 on: 20 Apr , 2012, 10:26 »
Christopher
While beeing on the floodholesubject, have you noticed the following: The floodholes rigth in the bow waterline is a very significant " trademark" of the VIICs, they are two on the stb and three on the port as seen on the pictures below. This was the case on U- 995  in 1945 and KNM Kaura up to approximately 1960 as well. However sometime in 1960 she all of a sudden got three floodholes on stb side, se picture below. This was also the case of Laboe U 995 in 1972. Then at last the germans did away with all the floodholes and not only that, they did away with the rivets as well and got welded  closed up casing leaving a very few original upper floodholes.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2012, 10:28 by tore »