Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78030 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #135 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 07:10 »
Thanks Gents! I will remake the beds! I used a reference pic from Bavaria Studios that showed blue and white stripes. It will be no problem to come up with a new pattern. The image in Tore's pic have a larger pattern than the other pics. That will make for a more visually compelling image I think. I will make the blankets a little darker, as these dried a little close in color to the sheets, and I want a tad more contrast. I used a historical replicas website ref for the blankets, but do not know if it is "period". Any objections?
Christopher

Ps: the larger torpedoroom pics are just about how crowded I want to have my boat looking. :-) I"ll need to junk it up after I get the regular details in!
The blankets with the german eagle and swastika was never used by us of course, but we had dark gray blankets (I guess german) which were put in a blue and white checked cover (bag). There were indeed two different sizes on the checkpattern of which the larger checks were in majority. The beds in the center were more like a canvas stretcher and not like hammock as on UK subs.They were mostly stowed away during daytime (poor junior sailors.)
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #136 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 07:32 »
SG -
Is this a Type IX? The lockers are different from the type VIICs I have seen?

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #137 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 09:42 »
Hi Christopher
Is this a Type IX? The lockers are different from the type VIICs I have seen?
This is type VII - in the background, between the torpedo tubes, there are visible control shaft for the anchor/capstan motor and motor driving shaft. Such arrangement - with the motor in the bilge, between the tubes - was on the type VII boat's. Type IX had motor under the ceiling - just like U-995 today.

--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #138 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 09:53 »
Maciek -
I saw the motor and capstan drive, but was thrown off a little by the lockers. I suppose there were different versions of the lockers depending on which shipyard built the boat. Do you know what boat it is by any chance?
Christopher

TopherVIIC

« Reply #139 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 10:41 »
How does this look? Better? There are trim lines so the colors will go to the edge of the blankets and sheets.
I figure I should get thumbs-ups before I remake the beds.
Christopher

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #140 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 11:11 »
Yep, Maciek's right, type VII! the picture's caption also states that, but the boat number is not stated. Locker's closing system looks different from the ones inspiring you, but i found it to be the same as the one in U-995 officer's quarters. By the way, excellent work w the checkered motive!
officer quarters

boatswain's quarter bunks
« Last Edit: 16 Mar , 2012, 11:35 by SG »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #141 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 11:19 »
SG -
Caption on the Type VII?? I must have missed that one. Thanks - and thanks again for the thumbs up on the checkered sheets! It took like two seconds. I tell you it is nice in this case to be able to make my own graphics and print them when I need them! :-)
I have to find a bunch of torps, and at least some scale figures in lounging positions, but that should not be too hard.
Any ideas on semi-clad or modifiable 1:35 scale lounging about figures and or torps? G7a's or e's - I am not picky!

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #142 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 11:28 »
sorry Christopher, I was adding the 2 pictures but you were faster in replying! I meant the picture caption on the book i took the photo from, it just states that the boat is a type VII but doesn't tell which number is.
I'm more than happy to help, keep up the excellent work!!!
« Last Edit: 16 Mar , 2012, 11:42 by SG »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #143 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 12:33 »
How does this look? Better? There are trim lines so the colors will go to the edge of the blankets and sheets.
I figure I should get thumbs-ups before I remake the beds.
Christopher

Christopher I believe a fraction more white would do it.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #144 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 12:46 »
Thanks Tore -
I will space the stripe a bit. I bet you never planned on doing so much work when you joined this forum, did you? :-) Now we have you evaluating laundry!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 16 Mar , 2012, 12:47 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #145 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 12:49 »
Thanks Tore -
I will space the stripe a bit. I bet you never planned on doing so much work when you joined this forum, did you? :-)
Christopher
I`ll tell you it`s just like seeing an old friend again, just pleasant.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #146 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 13:29 »
Oh my.... Now this is real deal build! I love the details. Looks like i really have to buy that set of plans as soon as possible :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #147 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 13:36 »
Oh my.... Now this is real deal build! I love the details. Looks like i really have to buy that set of plans as soon as possible :)
Marko you`ll get the best VIIC model interior ever I bet. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #148 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 14:31 »
Wider is better...

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #149 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 14:37 »
Wider is better...

Yes Christopher that`s it!
Tore