Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78115 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #105 on: 09 Feb , 2012, 07:37 »
The man hole at Spt. 102 has a diameter of 650 mm.
Thanks for the info Simon! :-)
I will have the dock crew down at the slipways get out their cutting torches!!

TopherVIIC

« Reply #106 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 18:15 »
You can also see the grand layout for the torpedo lubrication lines for tubes I - IV. I am slightly worried that I made these lines a little too heavy, but it does not look bad to me.
I quote myself, and the more I thought about it, the more I did not like the former lube lines I laid in. In scale, they would have been over an Inch in diam. and that is wrong. So, i ripped them out and did them again, in a much closer to scale copper wire. As we sometimes say in the states... Mo better! :-)

I have started connecting the GHG lines and can get back to progress, instead of retrofitting!

Cheers!
Christopher

« Last Edit: 12 Feb , 2012, 18:17 by TopherVIIC »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #107 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 19:31 »
Hi Christopher

Looking good! I am also updating all my wiring in the bow section. I was update my high pressure air bottles today and relooked at the bow air bottle, and decide to rework the support.  I have added a cradle to hold the bottle, as my previous support I believe would not be strong enough. Below is a half drawing to show you what I am talking about.

Also noted that you are miss the T. tubes support below.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #108 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 20:27 »
[img]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3367/nedd.jpg[\img]
Wow! Good pic. I sure wish I had that photo way back when I restarted this build...

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #109 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 23:55 »
You can also see the grand layout for the torpedo lubrication lines for tubes I - IV. I am slightly worried that I made these lines a little too heavy, but it does not look bad to me.
I quote myself, and the more I thought about it, the more I did not like the former lube lines I laid in. In scale, they would have been over an Inch in diam. and that is wrong. So, i ripped them out and did them again, in a much closer to scale copper wire. As we sometimes say in the states... Mo better! :-)

I have started connecting the GHG lines and can get back to progress, instead of retrofitting!

Cheers!
Christopher

Christopher
 This look much better both the diameter and the bundling. I`m not sure if you would keep the coppercolour. The pipes as I remember them were dark grey almost black.
Tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #110 on: 14 Feb , 2012, 00:22 »
ya, they look nice
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #111 on: 21 Feb , 2012, 19:54 »
Hiya folks...
Starting to do some work on the Druckk

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #112 on: 22 Feb , 2012, 01:13 »
Christopher
I`m still amazed by the effort you put in making the details of your model. To refresh my memory I had a look into the Laboe  U 995 and apart from the modern ligthplants and fittings which are easy to track I think the original ligths which are enclosed in the glass- and metalcovers are pretty much the same as the originals. The wiring looks like the original and the wiringsystem was two independent ringmains.
All the vital ligths were protected the way it`s shown. The reason for the protection I presume, was that electrical bulbs were the first to burst at depthchargeattack, spraying brokenglass all over the place.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #113 on: 22 Feb , 2012, 01:53 »
Hi

The boat's lighting system is shortly described here (page 185, Power load for boat purposes.):
http://uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm
and illustrated here:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-575INTPlan8.htm
Similary as Tore, I also believe that electric lamps in U-995 are in theirs original locations - the number and designation
of distribution boxes overlap with these on the diagram.
In free time I can post how many lamps I have counted.

--
Regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2012, 01:56 by SnakeDoc »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #114 on: 22 Feb , 2012, 10:23 »
Tore and Maciek,
Thanks both for the info. I see in the "Manual" that:
For that reason there are 8 automatically switched on battery powered emergency lamps, 9 mountings for battery powered hand lamps and 8 battery powered hand lamps located as follows: Forward torpedo room 1 Battery Powered Emergency Lamp on bulkhead t D.Spt 63 and 1 Battery Powered Hand Lamp - Mounting between frames 69-70 on the port side.
also...Each boat is equipped with 8 battery powered hand lamps, whose location is shown in the preceding table.  To help with location, the power switch of each lamp is surrounded by a ring covered with luminous paint.
I can find the device between 69-70 with no problem, but am curious as to where on bulkhead 63 the device is...
on the kabelbild der licht I see 3 circuits on the Bbd side and 2 on the Stbd side of the bow compartment, but it does not show the actual location, nor does it show the colors of the lamps in place.
Will keep looking, but it seems to me that this compartment was not an overly well lit place...
Cheers!
« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2012, 10:30 by TopherVIIC »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #115 on: 22 Feb , 2012, 14:32 »
Hi Christopher
I can find the device between 69-70 with no problem, but am curious as to where on bulkhead 63 the device is...
Emergency lamp is on the port side of the hatch, labeled with "Notbeluchtung", but without the bulb (only the hole for it).
Here is complete lamp in the E-motor room.

Could you point me the mounting between frames 69-70?

on the kabelbild der licht I see 3 circuits on the Bbd side and 2 on the Stbd side of the bow compartment, but it does not show the actual location, nor does it show the colors of the lamps in place.

Will keep looking, but it seems to me that this compartment was not an overly well lit place...
Well, I'll post my thoughts about lamps locations soon.
I also think, it was not bright room. Also remember about one night lamp (lampshade on a cable).

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #116 on: 22 Feb , 2012, 16:08 »
Could you point me the mounting between frames 69-70?
Maciek,
I only meant that I knew where 69-70 were - The images I have of 69-70 Bb have a big old stupid improperly-painted torpedo in the way, but I suspect that the device would be mounted on the druckk

TopherVIIC

« Reply #117 on: 22 Feb , 2012, 20:16 »
So I believe I have found at least the port and starboard light groups mentioned on Kabelbild der licht, but I wonder if I am mistaken. The Kabelbild shows what looks like 3 lights on the port side and two on stbd, but if my photo is correct, it is the opposite.
U-575INTPlate8-C.jpg

What I believe to be true on U-995:
Bb side, overhead, between D.Spt 72-73 and between 73-74.
Stbd Side, overhead, between D.Spt 72-73 (see photo) 70-71 and 67-68.

Below is a close up zoomed-in shot from the http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=5380 image. If you look at the Stbd side, you see what looks like the location of a light socket that mirrors the remaining one on the Bb side. Am I wrong?

Surprisingly (to me) it seems that there would not be a whole lot of light thrown on the torpedo tube area - where one would think it would be prudent to have some light...

(this edit added an hour later) Or... perhaps the socket is visible in the top left of this picture engranajescabrestante.jpg from u-historia. It would put light between the tubes and where I thought there was a socket on the Stbd side of 74 was my imagination.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2012, 21:30 by TopherVIIC »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: 23 Feb , 2012, 02:16 »
Hi Christopher

On the Kabelbild the rectangles are not the lamps, but distributing boxes. The lamps are connected to these boxes.
I have counted 9 lamps in the forward torpedo room: 5 port and 4 stb. In the tubes area there are 3 lamps (one
you have located at the image from u-historia), there are 2 more lamps just forward the tubes.

I did see the notes on the "nightlight" at the end of the report, but do not know where this would be wired into the room either.

I believe this lamp is movable and connected by means of the plug to one of the sockets.

--
Regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 23 Feb , 2012, 02:33 by SnakeDoc »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #119 on: 23 Feb , 2012, 08:38 »
On the Kabelbild the rectangles are not the lamps, but distributing boxes. The lamps are connected to these boxes.
I have counted 9 lamps in the forward torpedo room: 5 port and 4 stb. In the tubes area there are 3 lamps (one
you have located at the image from u-historia), there are 2 more lamps just forward the tubes.

Thanks Maciek.
That makes more sense to me. I appreciate the input. Putting 9 lights into the model in this section will look nice. I may put hidden lights in to add "atmosphere" but will see what it looks like with the proper number at first. That is a ways off, though! :-)
Cheers!
Christopher