Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78068 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #90 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 10:22 »
Tore-
No, not too many details! It is good to have more learning and opportunities for learning than less!
To all of those who are continuing to chip in I thank you! You are all helping to make this build, which is my first ever ship model, quite enjoyable!
Cheers...
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #91 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 12:20 »
Internal floorplating.
Down below is a small picture of what I as far as I remember shows the pattern of the VIIC internal floorplating.
Tore

I am luckly to have several pictures of what was the original internal plate of U-995. I have seen it in the engine room, galley and CT. Now I am not sure if anything is left of this original internal plate in U-995 after last summer refit  :'( :'(

Were was a third style of plate used in the WC  ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #92 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 12:24 »
Purists may hate me, but one idea for the tiny bits in the guts is to be "representational" - ie the pushbar can be seen as a shape and a bar, obscured by much, so it only has to be "something" there. I found putting in my p-hull that so little was visible, the basic shape and a few details were all that was needed.

Fantastic work, this is quite a project.

anti-slip bumps - I'm certainly not only least qualified here, but additionally far from an expert, but I can easily see from the pic that they could be stamped as Tore says, or equally plausible big rivets. I'm leaning to rivets, as some of the heads look mighty "big" and "separate" to be stamped, altho hard to see with paint.
Rokkets.
Your two very good pictures of the bullnose is a bit bewildering to me as on KNM Kaura the bar framing the hole is not forming an oval(circle) but rather an U shape where the two "legs" are ending on both side of the bow as shown on the two photos below. ( May be we are going into to many details here?)
Tore

I think the different is the different between the Type VIIC's and the Type IX (Rokkets pictures) bows.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #93 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 15:08 »
Internal floorplating.
Down below is a small picture of what I as far as I remember shows the pattern of the VIIC internal floorplating.
Tore

I am luckly to have several pictures of what was the original internal plate of U-995. I have seen it in the engine room, galley and CT. Now I am not sure if anything is left of this original internal plate in U-995 after last summer refit  :'( :'(

Exellent pictures. If these pictures are of the originals U 995 then it is clear that the floorplates are aluminum and my memory fails. I remember the floor darker like the picture below. It seems to me that these pictures could be from the Laboe U 995 and they have done a lot of changes to her since the wartime. The colours of the engines was definitely grey and not green as on the picture.The pressuredoor to the controlroom did not have the fancy yellow stripes and dots. The tables were natural oakwood coloured framing, the tableplate was linoleum definitely not painted green as on the picture.See my picture of the  area from the same position in 1953 and ignore the young lieutenant. 
Tore
« Last Edit: 05 Feb , 2012, 00:07 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #94 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 15:11 »
Floorplating in WC
 I cannot remember anything as to the floorplating in the WC, sorry.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #95 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 15:20 »
Purists may hate me, but one idea for the tiny bits in the guts is to be "representational" - ie the pushbar can be seen as a shape and a bar, obscured by much, so it only has to be "something" there. I found putting in my p-hull that so little was visible, the basic shape and a few details were all that was needed.

Fantastic work, this is quite a project.

anti-slip bumps - I'm certainly not only least qualified here, but additionally far from an expert, but I can easily see from the pic that they could be stamped as Tore says, or equally plausible big rivets. I'm leaning to rivets, as some of the heads look mighty "big" and "separate" to be stamped, altho hard to see with paint.
Rokkets.
Your two very good pictures of the bullnose is a bit bewildering to me as on KNM Kaura the bar framing the hole is not forming an oval(circle) but rather an U shape where the two "legs" are ending on both side of the bow as shown on the two photos below. ( May be we are going into to many details here?)
Tore

I think the different is the different between the Type VIIC's and the Type IX (Rokkets pictures) bows.
Ah! That explains everything . I took it for a VIIC/41, I`m not familiar with the IX. Thanks.
Tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #96 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 16:19 »
well "my" bow is U505, so there would likely be differences...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #97 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 16:22 »
I'm pretty certain that U995 as she is now is wrongwrongrong...the yellow stripes are for safety (tours), and the aluminium plating is new. The pattern is modern and the old ones were steel and show rust. At least on U505 and in USN Gatos... aluminium was for aircraft back then! My 2 cents anyway...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #98 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 17:50 »
Internal floorplating.
Tore

Exellent pictures. If these pictures are of the originals U 995 then it is clear that the floorplates are aluminum and my memory fails. I remember the floor darker like the picture below. It seems to me that these pictures could be from the Laboe U 995 and they have done a lot of changes to her since the wartime. The colours of the engines was definitely grey and not green as on the picture.The pressuredoor to the controlroom did not have the fancy yellow stripes and dots. The tables were natural oakwood coloured legs and framing, the tableplate was linoleum definitely not painted blue as on the picture.See my picture of the  area from the same position in 1953 and ignore the young lieutenant. 
Tore

Tore you are not losing you mind! The aluminum floorplates are from last summer refit  :'( :'( Very sad!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #99 on: 05 Feb , 2012, 00:22 »
I'm pretty certain that U995 as she is now is wrongwrongrong...the yellow stripes are for safety (tours), and the aluminium plating is new. The pattern is modern and the old ones were steel and show rust. At least on U505 and in USN Gatos... aluminium was for aircraft back then! My 2 cents anyway...
I think you are rigth. I believe today U 995 is more a tourist thing rather than a correct restored U-995/41 . To my opinion it`s a pitty they have made all the incorrect changes, both to the casing as well as the interior colours. As have been mentioned before, modellers should be very careful in using her as a reference they way she look today.
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #100 on: 05 Feb , 2012, 00:29 »
NZSnowman. That was a relief I thougth for a moment it was Alzheimer ligth.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #101 on: 07 Feb , 2012, 15:56 »
Here is the progress I made last night, and today...

Below you can see I added an indication of the forward dive plane pushbar and mechanism gland,,, I also added a few more of the forward frames to complete the sealing end of the tauchzell. Now I can add in the remaining forward frames.

Below you can see that I have started on the undercasing parts for the atlantiksteven, and will soon lay in the plates forming the bow buoyancy tank, and will have to build in the tow hook and tow hook well after I do the tank plate..
Behind it I have built in my deck stowage locker on the Bb side.
I have added a mechanism for the vent, as well as a top grating for the same through the bow casing. I painted my vent mechanism bronze, since it seems to me it should not be a part that is prone to rust, but if there is anyone who knows what the vent was constructed from, I can change that.
You can also see the grand layout for the torpedo lubrication lines for tubes I - IV. I am slightly worried that I made these lines a little too heavy, but it does not look bad to me. Again, base coated them as bronze, but will probably tint them to be copper.

Below you can see the lube lines a little better, including the access boxes and nibs, and the anchor chain.
Now I can secure the ends of the GHG cables to their through-deck plugs. Just visible is the vent for the bow buoyancy tank on the topside of the deck.
I also made the bolts visible in the "E"Deck access hatch stainless steel, so the crew will not have to worry about rusted out bolts! :-)
Simon - Were you able to find a reference I could look at for the missing manhole you mentioned I should put in? I can find no reference in any of my material.

I will have to put in the mechanism for the main vent for the tauchzelle and the actuating universal joints, but that is still a ways down the line yet.
Well, I am off to build a few more frames till the Wife comes home.
Cheers!
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #102 on: 08 Feb , 2012, 01:01 »
Here is the progress I made last night, and today...

Below you can see I added an indication of the forward dive plane pushbar and mechanism gland,,, I also added a few more of the forward frames to complete the sealing end of the tauchzell. Now I can add in the remaining forward frames.

Below you can see that I have started on the undercasing parts for the atlantiksteven, and will soon lay in the plates forming the bow buoyancy tank, and will have to build in the tow hook and tow hook well after I do the tank plate..
Behind it I have built in my deck stowage locker on the Bb side.
I have added a mechanism for the vent, as well as a top grating for the same through the bow casing. I painted my vent mechanism bronze, since it seems to me it should not be a part that is prone to rust, but if there is anyone who knows what the vent was constructed from, I can change that.
You can also see the grand layout for the torpedo lubrication lines for tubes I - IV. I am slightly worried that I made these lines a little too heavy, but it does not look bad to me. Again, base coated them as bronze, but will probably tint them to be copper.

Below you can see the lube lines a little better, including the access boxes and nibs, and the anchor chain.
Now I can secure the ends of the GHG cables to their through-deck plugs. Just visible is the vent for the bow buoyancy tank on the topside of the deck.
I also made the bolts visible in the "E"Deck access hatch stainless steel, so the crew will not have to worry about rusted out bolts! :-)
Simon - Were you able to find a reference I could look at for the missing manhole you mentioned I should put in? I can find no reference in any of my material.

I will have to put in the mechanism for the main vent for the tauchzelle and the actuating universal joints, but that is still a ways down the line yet.
Well, I am off to build a few more frames till the Wife comes home.
Cheers!
Christopher

Christopher
You are really going into details.
Hydroplane pullrods and ventrods. I don`think they were of bronze, the germans didn`t use that so much. For important parts, bronze didn`t have the tensile strength I would suggest dark grey/ black painted steel. The grease pipes look to me a little on the big side to me.
Internal surfaces in closed area like ballasttanks were painted in my time with zincchromate, a brigth yellow colour, was never seen from outside.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #103 on: 08 Feb , 2012, 11:57 »
The man hole at Spt. 102 has a diameter of 650 mm.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #104 on: 09 Feb , 2012, 01:39 »
Simply one of the best scratch builds I have ever seen.  Your skill and attention to detail is outstanding.  Beautiful work!

Ernest