Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78018 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #75 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 01:05 »
nice pic tore!

Topher, cabling is excellent, one of those details that 'sells" it.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #76 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 04:58 »
I see you are busy with the forward atlantic bow details. Many people have been discussing how the surface of the forward steeldeckpart looked like as several kits shows all kinds of surfacepatterns.
I`m posting a photo below showing the details of the original VIIC/41 as on Kaura.
Tore
Thanks for the detail pic Tore! Very useful. I assume those surface bumps were something like raised weld beads and not rivits. I will have to place them on my deck. That is the best pic I have seen of the actual surface of an atlantic deck.
Cheers!
Christopher

TopherVIIC

« Reply #77 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 05:22 »
Rokket - Thanks -
It is slowly starting to build up to the cramped environment that we are trying to replicate.
I am constantly working on my pre-model drawings so that I can fit in details as the build progresses, so I don't get stuck later.
For instance, I have the forward dive planes and their mounts in, and I have the drive motors, but it seems that the push bar between the two will be viewable from my planned cut-aways, so now I have to figure out how to squeeze one in place.
Fortunately, I do not have the skin for the chin floodholes in place yet, as that would make putting the push rod actuator impossible!

Among many challenges are making the decisions of what to include so enough is represented, getting them to look enough like the actual parts, and making it all look believable.
I am constantly raising my own bar as far as modeling skill goes with this project, but it is interesting in that each bit i get work done on makes me re-evaluate if it could be done better. Some things I leave that for "the next one" and some things bug me enough that I rip it out and do it differently right here and now.

I intend to finish the framing and casing sections in the near future, so then I can begin to work on the area of the actual torpedo room. That will have many challenges as well - like the curved torpedo compensation tanks and the below-deck torp stowage racks.
I am working on the drawings for them already.
I guess I do not pick "easy" projects! :-)
Cheers
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #78 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 05:25 »
I see you are busy with the forward atlantic bow details. Many people have been discussing how the surface of the forward steeldeckpart looked like as several kits shows all kinds of surfacepatterns.
I`m posting a photo below showing the details of the original VIIC/41 as on Kaura.
Tore
Thanks for the detail pic Tore! Very useful. I assume those surface bumps were something like raised weld beads and not rivits. I will have to place them on my deck. That is the best pic I have seen of the actual surface of an atlantic deck.
Cheers!
Christopher
Christopher
I think they were more like pressed out knobs (intergrated) in the plate rather than weldbeads, definitely not rivets.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #79 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 05:44 »
Tore
Cheers!
Christopher
Christopher
I think they were more like pressed out knobs (intergrated) in the plate rather than weldbeads, definitely not rivets.
Tore
May be this illustrate what I`m trying to convey
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #80 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 06:10 »
Thank you so much! I will test to see if it would be more useful on my model to actually dimple some thin sheet metal from behind to get the effect, or to use putty or some such to apply the detail to the existing plastic casing I have!
These kinds of little detail you are providing us with are outstanding! Thanks!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 03 Feb , 2012, 06:17 by TopherVIIC »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #81 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 07:41 »
Christopher, here the picture I used for my drawing, to working the spacing and size of the knobs. I workout they are about 50 mm spacings and about 10 mm in size. Rivets about 20 mm in size and spacing about 60 mm.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #82 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 09:10 »
Rokket - Thanks -
It is slowly starting to build up to the cramped environment that we are trying to replicate.
I am constantly working on my pre-model drawings so that I can fit in details as the build progresses, so I don't get stuck later.
For instance, I have the forward dive planes and their mounts in, and I have the drive motors, but it seems that the push bar between the two will be viewable from my planned cut-aways, so now I have to figure out how to squeeze one in place.
Fortunately, I do not have the skin for the chin floodholes in place yet, as that would make putting the push rod actuator impossible!

Among many challenges are making the decisions of what to include so enough is represented, getting them to look enough like the actual parts, and making it all look believable.
I am constantly raising my own bar as far as modeling skill goes with this project, but it is interesting in that each bit i get work done on makes me re-evaluate if it could be done better. Some things I leave that for "the next one" and some things bug me enough that I rip it out and do it differently right here and now.

I intend to finish the framing and casing sections in the near future, so then I can begin to work on the area of the actual torpedo room. That will have many challenges as well - like the curved torpedo compensation tanks and the below-deck torp stowage racks.
I am working on the drawings for them already.
I guess I do not pick "easy" projects! :-)
Cheers
Christopher
Christpopher
When making your unbelievable model I am sure you are doing lot of reseach. As you now are busy with forward hydroplanes details I would like to mention most likely superfluous to you, a small detail. I have no drawings, pictures or documentation but in my memory is this: On port side was, as far as my memory goes, a transmission from the hydroplanes to an electric servomotor connectionbox ( black) in the fw torpedocompartment close to the fw pressurehullbulkhead,  for transmission of positionsignals to a repeater for the hydroplane operator. I remember this because the connection broke and the indicator in the controlroom froze.The hydroplaneoperater didn`t get it and was  sending the sub down. I spent hours crawling in the cramped space between the torpedotubes in the fwd torpedo room before I figured out what happened. Just a small but important detail which I presume you knew about and in that case I`m sorry for again to interfere.
Tore
« Last Edit: 03 Feb , 2012, 11:56 by tore »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #83 on: 03 Feb , 2012, 16:48 »
Purists may hate me, but one idea for the tiny bits in the guts is to be "representational" - ie the pushbar can be seen as a shape and a bar, obscured by much, so it only has to be "something" there. I found putting in my p-hull that so little was visible, the basic shape and a few details were all that was needed.

Fantastic work, this is quite a project.

anti-slip bumps - I'm certainly not only least qualified here, but additionally far from an expert, but I can easily see from the pic that they could be stamped as Tore says, or equally plausible big rivets. I'm leaning to rivets, as some of the heads look mighty "big" and "separate" to be stamped, altho hard to see with paint.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #84 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 00:36 »
Memories are not always reliable, and looking at NZSnowmans picture I have to revise my theory. You are able to see that the plates are riveted to the structure underneath (the flat rivetheads) however adjacent to the these rivets and even partly on the stringerrivets you see the antislip knobs. This eliminates that the knobs are rivets, and the theory of pressing out the knobs. The knobs must have been placed (welded?) after the plating was fitted, but they look very smooth to me.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #85 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 01:08 »
Size of the antislip knobs
It seems to me that may be 20 mm dia of the knobs could be a little on the high side. If you look at the picture below and compare the knobs with the boots of the men I guess they would be possibly more like 10 mm.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #86 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 02:51 »
Yes that right, 10 mm for the knobs & 20 mm for the steel plate rivets, was what I workout. I believe this style of plating was used only on the decking. The German

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #87 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 04:27 »
Yes that right, 10 mm for the knobs & 20 mm for the steel plate rivets, was what I workout. I believe this style of plating was used only on the decking. The German’s used a different style of plating inside the boat.

Yes you are rigth.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #88 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 07:01 »
Internal floorplating.
Down below is a small picture of what I as far as I remember shows the pattern of the VIIC internal floorplating.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #89 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 08:23 »
Purists may hate me, but one idea for the tiny bits in the guts is to be "representational" - ie the pushbar can be seen as a shape and a bar, obscured by much, so it only has to be "something" there. I found putting in my p-hull that so little was visible, the basic shape and a few details were all that was needed.

Fantastic work, this is quite a project.

anti-slip bumps - I'm certainly not only least qualified here, but additionally far from an expert, but I can easily see from the pic that they could be stamped as Tore says, or equally plausible big rivets. I'm leaning to rivets, as some of the heads look mighty "big" and "separate" to be stamped, altho hard to see with paint.
Rokkets.
Your two very good pictures of the bullnose is a bit bewildering to me as on KNM Kaura the bar framing the hole is not forming an oval(circle) but rather an U shape where the two "legs" are ending on both side of the bow as shown on the two photos below. ( May be we are going into to many details here?)
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Feb , 2012, 08:25 by tore »