Author Topic: Question about U-255  (Read 1573 times)

cola

Question about U-255
« on: 07 Nov , 2011, 13:04 »
First off Hello everyone...new here  ;D

I am planning on building the Revell VIIC, and wanted to make it an arctic scene (hopefully).  I was thinking the 4th or 5th patrol while in the 11th flottilla (between Jan & Mar 43) under Reinhard Reche's command.  My question is what emblem would it be?  On uboat.net it has the sub & polar bear for the 11th (it was my belief that after 1941 sometime that they did away with personal emblems and just used their flottilla emblem....but it also has the emblem of the grinning fox (personal emblem) and some white animal for the 11th.  Kind of confusing myself.

thanks for any help you can offer.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Question about U-255
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov , 2011, 23:34 »
Welcome aboard! I'm not the expert, but Dougie has found that while emblems were discouraged, no real effort was made to stop them. U 201 altered theirs through the years, and I'm sure were using in 1944. Download Dougie's Wolfpack from the AMP website "BOOKS" section, but I think you are plenty safe with the uboat.net suggestion. The emblem would be separate to the flotilla, and probably changed a lot.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #2 on: 09 Nov , 2011, 02:25 »
Hi Cola, first welcome aboard!  Wink's answer was spot on.  The lack of uniformity in emblems and paint schemes actually works out well for us modellers as we can use some "artistic license" and still be pretty accurate in representing a uboot.  As an aside, you may want to also consider U307 for your build.  One of the Uboot in Focus magazines has a really good photo feature that provides a wealth of information.

Ernest

First off Hello everyone...new here  ;D

I am planning on building the Revell VIIC, and wanted to make it an arctic scene (hopefully).  I was thinking the 4th or 5th patrol while in the 11th flottilla (between Jan & Mar 43) under Reinhard Reche's command.  My question is what emblem would it be?  On uboat.net it has the sub & polar bear for the 11th (it was my belief that after 1941 sometime that they did away with personal emblems and just used their flottilla emblem....but it also has the emblem of the grinning fox (personal emblem) and some white animal for the 11th.  Kind of confusing myself.

thanks for any help you can offer.

cola

« Reply #3 on: 09 Nov , 2011, 04:50 »
Thanks so much for the info...think I'm just over-thinking it.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov , 2011, 00:59 »
better to over than under!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz