Author Topic: Modelbrass contact details  (Read 5979 times)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Modelbrass contact details
« on: 29 May , 2011, 14:00 »
I am wondering if anyone can help with the contact details for Modelbrass? I ordered an upgrade set from them months ago, have heard nothing, and everytime I go onto their site , all I can do is order. There is no contact details. I tried e mailing sales@modelbrass.com  and got a failure notice.  :( 

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
Re: Modelbrass contact details
« Reply #1 on: 30 May , 2011, 01:06 »
Heya Leth,

i ordered mine, and got it within 2 months after order. The issue is, that Jay (or Jason if you prefer) has more or less "cottage" industry so to speak in the small scale, and frets are done in batches.
what i did, was googled his adress and telephone number that is located on modelbrass page, 23300 Broadwood Dr. Elkhart, IN 46514, USA (574) 361-9868, and got this:
http://www.3rdgendecals.com/

i used the contact form and email provided there (Email tab) , and luckily the guy is the same, which can i confirm. Simply write him to jay@3rdgendecals.com or use the contact form, and he should get back to you in a day. The longest what i waited was 3 days, shortest 5 hours. Just make sure you do contact him once or twice a week to check up the status, otherwise it just might get forgotten (we all do forget about things if not reminded) :D

and yes, modelbrass.com email domains are down, so only way to get him is the telephone (not confirmed), or the 3rdgendecals email

Hope this helps,
regards,
Marko

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 30 May , 2011, 11:40 »
Cheers Marko, I`ll try that  ;D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun , 2011, 04:10 »
Nice one Marko!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jun , 2011, 06:27 »
thanks, i just hope that everyone who is on waiting list for the set will get his own. Far as i know, he gives refunds too, just in case someone gets impatient :)

probably it would be best to do a group order, and someone would take 10 or more sets, so the batch could be done pretty much in the moment, and even prices would be lower per piece (which would cover at least 70% mail forwarding costs)

Though i missed one very important note, which happened in my case. Jay accidentally deleted my first email, and luckily i just felt that something will go wrong, i sent him first email doubled, one with regular email, and one through email form on his page.  ;)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun , 2011, 14:05 »
Yeah Marko, that address is de one! ;) I got in touch with Jay and he was very friendly and helpfull and told me he hadnt forgotten my order. In fact, I  ordered three more sets, cos I am so desperate for the lower flood hole parts. He did mention that there had been a  surge in orders, since everyone found out he had got a new stock in, but also said he should get another stock in a quicker time. ;D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jun , 2011, 14:10 »
hmmm,

well, if you manage to get three sets, and in case you wont need them, i might take one of those :D The idea of building VIIC/41 keeps getting louder (so as one of the uss gato family) 8)
« Last Edit: 05 Jun , 2011, 14:11 by Marko »

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul , 2011, 11:37 »
The Modelbrass sets were waiting for me when I got home today and I am well impressed by the robust-ness of the parts :). Before I start chopping up my boats and the brass, I was wondering if anyone can suggest what to use to cut the pieces out of the master sheet? Its pretty tough , but also pretty fine, so I dont want to dive in all heavy handed and risk destroying a much sought after, and long awaited, flood hole :o The sheets laugh in the face of knives and snips are too large :-\

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jul , 2011, 18:44 »
Here's some great info (I'm biased, he's my mate) from Paragrafix. He's got sheet and videos with heaps of really good PE info:

http://www.paragrafix.biz/video-instructions-1.asp

He sells a heap of cool aftermarket PE for sci-fi too. (He's not paying me for the plug).

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jul , 2011, 01:31 »
Thanks Wink, thats really helpful ;) Nice videos!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jul , 2011, 14:20 »
I was trying it with a scalpel but a Stanley knife does the job of cutting parts from the fret easy enough

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jul , 2011, 04:54 »
Yes, I use the "fat/wide" version of a #11. 18? I also now use sprue cutters for plastic sprue - AWESOME!!! For some PE I use good scissors (sharp) which will eventually become "bad", but anyway, you can get very close to the rest of the flat/side, and snip nice leaving no chunky choppy tab bits.

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jul , 2011, 06:25 »
cheers guys,

i used heavy duty blade for the job too. I think Tamiya sells special PE scissors for removing them from the fret.

Wink, when your scissors will go dull, try this trick which i picked up when i was building card models.
you will need:
- dull scissors
- aluminum foil (nick some in the kitchen) You can use the thinner or thicker Alu-foil, doesn't matter

1) bend the foil estimately 6-8 to 10 times (depends of thickness)
2) cut the hell out of the foil with the scissors, as many cuts longitudinally as you can, along the whole shear surfaces

equally well should work medium grit sandpaper, or steel wool. I think there should be some tutorial videos on youtube and similar sites.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jul , 2011, 04:31 »
Hmmmm, will give it a try, thanks!

Nevermind4712

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct , 2011, 03:39 »
Hi,

Im new in this great Forum and first...sorry about my English.

I buy 2 Weeks ago the Set from Modelbrass.
But i didnt get any Contact, no response of 3 Mails.

Some Guys tell me now "He is out of Business",..some tell me "Its normal,..needs Time".

I know that it can takes some Weeks/Months to get the Set but i dont know if HE know that im buy one!.

I tried the Mail jay@3rd......,..but no response, you know maybe whats happen?.

Holiday?, busy?.

With no response im really a little bit afraid about the Vents and Floodholes:\

P.S. I want to build the U-1023

Edit:

Now is everything okay,..i got a few Minutes ago a Mail from Modelbrass, my Set goes next Week to Berlin:)

« Last Edit: 12 Oct , 2011, 07:34 by Nevermind4712 »