Author Topic: Iceonaboys type VIIC build 1.72  (Read 18280 times)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re: Iceonaboys type VIIC build 1.72
« Reply #30 on: 09 May , 2011, 15:36 »
Nice pics mate, now wheres the ex? :D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #31 on: 10 May , 2011, 08:05 »
Nice pics mate, now wheres the ex? :D
She

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 10 May , 2011, 08:53 »
I suppose its all part of the learning curve, but I  had finished the 1.144 boat and wanted to give it a gloss coat for decal fixing and washes. This is what happened,

This is the offending tin of varnish
[img][http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x421/iceonaboy/IMG_0369.jpg/img]

The varnish caused paint to run and melted some of the  paint .Has anyone else come across this problem?

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #33 on: 10 May , 2011, 08:55 »

Sorry, dont know why the varnish pic didnt load

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #34 on: 10 May , 2011, 09:06 »
Has anyone else come across this problem?

Sorry to see that... I have been using Vallejo acrylics and Johnson plastic floor wax for varnish and no problems...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #35 on: 11 May , 2011, 01:30 »
Real varnish has yellowing and eating problems, tho I must say i'm surprised a Humbrol spray went bad. I agree with Anakin, use Vallejo or Future Floor Wax. I've never used any Vallejo, but only hear really, really good things about their paints. I've used a little Future (Aus equiv by Johnson & Johnson) and it was cool. My bottle had a slight tint but did not tint when applied. It can also be taken off with window cleaner or ammonia, so it's very safe! In this 1:144 case, the effect is actually pretty cool weathering! (at least in the pix...)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #36 on: 11 May , 2011, 02:03 »
Sorry my pics didnt come out that clear. To be honest , its not that cool when you see it up close. Some of the paint has rippled and its made the light grey run into the darker grey. I have come to the conclusion that I overdone the varnish :-[, cos the other side of the hull is not as bad. I think also, I should have left the  paint longer to dry. I had touched up some parts  just a few hours before. I am going to experiment again with spraying with  a lot more care. I will try out the floor wax. Do you thin that down and use your airbrush to apply it?
Hey, at the very least, this build might help some other novice modeller to learn from my mistakes :D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #37 on: 11 May , 2011, 08:09 »
You must thin that with ammonia containing window cleaner (Windex, Windus or Ajax) to get it through. And you can clean the airbrush with that cleaner too... Add some Tamiya Flat Base to get matte finish.
1 part Flat Base + 3 parts Jonhson = really matte
1 part Flat Base + 10 parts Jonhson = matte
1 part Flat Base + 15 parts Jonhson = half shiny / half matte

-Anakin-

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #38 on: 12 May , 2011, 01:04 »
thanks Anakin, I've saved those formulas for "future" use (HA!)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #39 on: 12 May , 2011, 03:13 »
Forgive me a question Anakin. You say add flat base for a matt effect? I thought the whole idea of varnishing the kit was for washes and decal fixing. I want to understand when and where to add effects, so that I can get it right. ???
I forgot to add the decals on the tank and when I did , I got the dulling of the border which apparently comes from the backing not being able to adhere to a matt background. I was also told that washes flow better on a gloss coat.

I have begun trying to rescue my 1.144 boat, though it might be too far gone and destined for the final dive into the depths of my wheelie bin >:(

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #40 on: 12 May , 2011, 07:01 »
Yes. You use varnish / clear coat for applying decals and for base to weathering. After that you can apply a matte layer. You

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #41 on: 12 May , 2011, 07:58 »
Yeah, I hate gloss finishes on kits. Nothing is gloss apart from, as you say new cars and Im sure wartime boats would have been matt, although maybe I will be corrected. ::)

I just wanted to gloss the boat for washes and decals, then I was going to weather it and finally seal it with a matt varnish. I tried a small jar of Humbrol gloss coat and thinned it and applied with my airbrush with no problems. I think maybe a lighter hand with the spray can might give better results.

I have been using Rustall blackwash and it seems very thin. I applied it over the whole boat and then wiped off, and to be honest , more or less the whole lot came off, leaving a not very convincing look. :-\ I am going to try a few coats of this blackwash, plus I have ordered some MIG darkwash. Certainly the MIG brownwash is a lot thicker, but for the hull of the boat , maybe not the best, as it stains everything brown. I am still a bit unsure as to the best way to apply washes, and filters are an even bigger enigma to me. I mean what is the point of filters? Why not just use a different colour in the first place?

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #42 on: 12 May , 2011, 08:44 »
I had another go at the VIIC/41 after repainting . Its quite difficult to scale down rusting effects with out overdoing it, but as I keep saying, these boats are all dispensable, as its practise for the big un ;)

Any feedback good or bad is very welcome as I have to learn from my mistakes.

a wee bit wobbly with the camera, sorry

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

bracco_n

« Reply #43 on: 12 May , 2011, 13:32 »
Looks pretty decent to me, it's just a matter of keep practising, keep learning. Keep it up

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #44 on: 13 May , 2011, 14:11 »
I have been practising again with a military vehicle model and tried the Rustall black wash and I can honestly say. I think its  absolute rubbish. I have gloss coated the subject, applied numerous coats of the blackwash, and all it does is pool, even on flat surfaces. I had a problem before with one of the 1.144 boats where I left the blackwash to dry on its own. The result was a horrible staining effect. I then tried mopping up the excess but found no blackwash remaining in the crevices.
I read a review of Rustall and the guy said it did appear thin, but apply a few coats  and magical results will follow. I can tell you. They wont! I have applied coat after coat and still sod all.
I am awaiting the delivery of some Mig darkwash, and am sure that this will deliver, as all their other products are really good.
Im sure some of you will want to make up your own mind, but I gotta say, in my opinion, stay away from Rustall. Its a waste of money!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!