Author Topic: GLAD TO BE ABOARD  (Read 2789 times)

Kptlt. Wolfgang Ott

GLAD TO BE ABOARD
« on: 20 Apr , 2011, 10:53 »
Hello All,

New to the Forum, and thrilled to be here!! ;D  After watching my Revelll 1/72 VIIC model box lay on a shelf for seven years, I became motivated to start the build last August after seeing Wink's incredible U-557.  Viewing his work, as well as the work of all of you, is a very humbling experience, but it has me excited to see what I am capable of doing, with all of your help of course!!

Having spent quite a bit of time reading Posts and Replys at AMP, I know all of you, my Shipmates, will be there for me when I need you for answers for my questions, or there for moral support (I am oil canning now ...help!! ;D)  Wink, thank you for all your assistance to me thus far!!

Glad to be Aboard!!

Romain

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re: GLAD TO BE ABOARD
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr , 2011, 13:32 »
Good to have you aboard Romain. ;D I too have not long ago joined after an extremely long hiatus from making models. I have always been fascinated by U boats. I am also at the oil canning stage of my 1.72 kit, hoping for the imminent release of AMP`s PE flood hole kits. :P This is definately the best place for you to come for tips as its a very helpful friendly lot on here. Happy modelling, Leth

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr , 2011, 14:09 »
Welcome aboard, Romain.

Kptlt. Wolfgang Ott

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr , 2011, 19:40 »
Thank you Shipmates Leth, and NZSnowman.  Leth good luck with your oil canning efforts, it will be worth every minute you invested in doing so, in the final product.   After being undecided if I should go ahead and do oil canning on my Boote because the extra work seemed "intimidating," I have found it to be rather relaxing, and I like the look especially once realizing that this Boote deserves to be done correctly, and not rushed.  I appreciate the fact that I can come here to this forum, and get answers and tips to guide me through each step. 
                                                                                              Take Care Mates
                                                                                                    Romain

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr , 2011, 00:15 »
Welcome!

Put on a good submarine/WWII action movie, and oil can / build away!

Looking forward to the project, post pix when you can

Best,
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr , 2011, 09:55 »
I found it quite daunting at first as I seemed to be getting nowhere with the larger panels. As I gradually found the dish appearing, I also felt my anguish disappearing. ;D Light was at the end of the tunnel. Still a long way to go but I could see that it would be worth it. I was given some advice to use womens nail files to sand away at the panels as sandpaper was proving too awkward for me and I was destroying welds. ( If someone could tell me what you use to replace welds, I would be chuffed) I think, the secret is to take your time and dont rush it. I found that having a few 1.144 kits to practise on gave me a release from oil canning all the time. Post pics as you go along Romain. I will as soon as I can get them to load. I keep getting a message that the file is too big ???

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 06 May , 2011, 19:53 »
We have limited space so need to keep files small. You can get free programs that will batch shrink copies of the pix. There are heaps, one I use is PIXresizer, but any will do: http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

For replacing welds, I used masking tape and putty. It SOUNDS crazy, but it works GREAT!!!  I cut ragged edges in the tape, masked thin, smeared Squadron Green  putty, peeled tape. When dry, sand down in bumpy ups/downs, and you can also lightly file/attack with knife. Then do a final light file to really minimize. They are surprisingly durable, and fast and easy, way faster and cleaner than gluing stretched sprue or thin bits of plastic. (Remember, the welds should be pretty small in 1:72, even the big thick wide ones).

I tried a harder putty like Tamiya grey, but it hardens too much for my liking.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 06 May , 2011, 23:27 »
Thanks Wink, I`ll try that ;D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!