Author Topic: Andrea Deck Gun  (Read 13423 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Andrea Deck Gun
« Reply #30 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 11:52 »
Thanks Pepper!  I will make a photo from underneath the model and post it tomorrow.

Ernest

I love this unconventional subject ! Enjoying a lot
Greif i'm just wondering how is the deck looking from under... Would you take a pic for me please ?

There should be a law against models smaller than 1/32  ;D  (don't kill me guys it's a joke...i think...).

cheers Mate,
Pepper.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #31 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 11:57 »
Good suggestions Pat, unfortunately it is too late to put them into practice.  I would have to cut through the metal ends of the model with damaging or destroying it, and doing so would be quite a trick to pull off.  I will have to do the best I can as is.

Ernest   

Ernest, not sure if it's too late now or if you really do want to open up the slits in the side of the casing, but I've done similar projects before and found them to be quite solid.

Since you already have the location of the ribs marked by the rivets, you could just cut out the area where the slits are.

Then I'd use an appropriate metal 'rod' and drill or glue it in place between the saddletank and the upper casing at each row of rivets.  You should be able to find small brass angles or T's to fit.  Although it looks like the edge of a plate, the rivets actually have to go into a flat spot so those ribs have to be either 'L' or 'T' shaped to give a landing for the rivets and the casing and still have a projection inside to give strength to holding the casing in place.

Using several brass or aluminum 'ribs' on each side of the model should be strong enough, especially if they're well drilled and sunk into the saddletank.

Of course, then you might also want to drill out the flooding spaces in the deck too, and complete a section of pressure hull underneath since it would be VERY visible with this method and would make it much easier to show and explain how real U-boats were built.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #32 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 12:04 »
I've finished general construction and painting of the hull and gun.  Everything is sealed with Future and I am about 2/3 done with weathering.  The decals do not come with the kit.  They are some old one I had lying around and I decided to do a bit of "kit bashing" in the hope they would add a bit of realism.  The rust is from both Tamiya's weathering kit and ground pastel chalk.  SO far things are looking ok.

I have also finished general and detail painting of the figures.  The faces, hair and shading/highlighting remains to be done.

Enjoy the pictures!
Ernest

« Last Edit: 05 Feb , 2011, 12:07 by Greif »

TRM

« Reply #33 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 13:22 »
Looking great Ernest!  Love the weathering so far.  Those are some nice figures they produce.  Really fun seeing it all come together! ;D

Cheers!

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #34 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 17:21 »
Wow! it`s looking really good Ernest, can`t wait to see the end result.

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #35 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 23:43 »
very good indeed
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #36 on: 06 Feb , 2011, 11:52 »
Looks great!
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #37 on: 06 Feb , 2011, 13:49 »
Thanks for the comments guys!  I have finished the weathering on the gun, hull and deck; sealing everything with a dull coat, which had a nice blending effect.  I am now working on the figure's faces, always a tense time for me!  Pepper, I forgot to take a picture of the bottom of the kit.  I promise I will take one tomorrow. ;)

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #38 on: 09 Feb , 2011, 01:40 »
Beautiful paint/weather...open the breech and load up a shell!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #39 on: 09 Feb , 2011, 11:04 »
Greif,

What i see is very clean as always... don't worry about the pic, the day after tomorrow is also good  ;D

Wunsche dir viel spass !

Pepper
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #40 on: 17 Feb , 2011, 00:17 »
Hi Pepper, sorry for the delay in sending the picture, but I was sidetracked by work the last several days.  Below is a picture of the bottom of the kit after the sides and ends have been installed.

Ernest

Greif,

What i see is very clean as always... don't worry about the pic, the day after tomorrow is also good  ;D

Wunsche dir viel spass !

Pepper

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #41 on: 17 Feb , 2011, 00:24 »
The deck gun is finished except for the name plate which I am waiting on from the engravers.  The artist's gel that I use to simulate depth and sheen for water is still drying.  Attached are some close up shots of the scene.  Once the gel is dry I will shoot some overall photos.  I almost hate to say this but.....  The kit turned out ok; however, considering the price I paid for it and the quality of the components - with the exception of the figures - this was not good value for the money.  For me at least.

Ernest

« Last Edit: 17 Feb , 2011, 00:25 by Greif »

TRM

« Reply #42 on: 17 Feb , 2011, 04:19 »
From here, everything turned out great!  Looking forward to the over all shots as well! ;D

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #43 on: 17 Feb , 2011, 04:39 »
Ernest,

It may have been an expensive model, but the end result is beautiful, it is a joy to look at  ;)

Karel

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 17 Feb , 2011, 05:41 »
Wonderful and nice job!!!!