Author Topic: U-673  (Read 41954 times)

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
Re: U-673
« Reply #45 on: 02 Sep , 2011, 03:43 »
Hello Glenn, good to see that you are active again on the forum.
It was your build-log of the U-673 with all your tips and hints that helped me a lot during the build of my U-995.
The result was a first price with my U-995 during a modelling competition in Belgium last year, i think that was impossible without all the info i got from your webpage.

You`re build is looking really good and i will stay tuned on this topic  ;)

Karel

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #46 on: 05 Sep , 2011, 20:37 »
The wooden panels (PE pieces) inside the tower turned out REALLY well. After priming & painting the inside of the tower (see previous pics), I sanded down the wooden panels to remove the paint and expose the brass again.  The gray between the individual wooden slats remained as I intended. I then used a microbrush to apply JAX Pewter Black (metal blackening solution) to the bare-metal PE slats to turn them black... then drybrushed the slats with a bit of medium brown paint.  The results were excellent!

I added in the fold-down seats on the sides, and started with a bit of subtle weathering using the simplest method... a sharp pencil. A graphite pencil is great for simulating paint wearing off a metal surface, especially on edges.  If I got over-ambitious with that, it is easy to remove with a pencil eraser.  :)
« Last Edit: 06 Sep , 2011, 09:09 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #47 on: 06 Sep , 2011, 08:59 »
Hello Glenn, good to see that you are active again on the forum.
It was your build-log of the U-673 with all your tips and hints that helped me a lot during the build of my U-995.
The result was a first price with my U-995 during a modelling competition in Belgium last year, i think that was impossible without all the info i got from your webpage. You`re build is looking really good and i will stay tuned on this topic  ;)  Karel

NICE!!!  Congratulations, Karel.  I'm glad my build information was helpful to you.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #48 on: 06 Sep , 2011, 09:06 »
Next is the painting & weathering of the CT wooden floor, and a bit more weathering with some washes & rusting.  Then I can assemble the major tower pieces finally... and start on the forward AA gun platform!
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #49 on: 07 Sep , 2011, 07:49 »
Floor... painted & weathered
Wash... applied (ProModeller Dark Dirt wash)
Major pieces... assembled!
Putty... applied!

Now we wait for the putty to dry, and let the sanding & sculpting begin.

After the major construction & surgeries are done, will again use the Archer U-boat rivet set to replace the rows of lost rivets... booyahh!!
« Last Edit: 07 Sep , 2011, 07:53 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

bracco_n

« Reply #50 on: 07 Sep , 2011, 17:30 »
Great job! Darn I miss working on my boat... Think I'll have to do another in 1/72

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #51 on: 08 Sep , 2011, 11:05 »
Added the front ammo storage cabinet to the front of the tower.  The gun platform will go immediately below it.   :D

The "fun" part will be making the front platform railing from scratch... not sure yet how to tackle that one.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep , 2011, 11:11 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #52 on: 08 Sep , 2011, 11:29 »
I made the railing of the U-995 completely from brass 0.5mm wire and glued everything together with superglue.
Using superglue worked for me, but it is not really suitable for this job because the construction is not very strong...

Karel

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #53 on: 08 Sep , 2011, 14:33 »
Wowwwwwwww.... nice job!!!

Are ALL the rail parts made from 0.5mm brass wire?   The top rail looks thicker than the down stanchions.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #54 on: 08 Sep , 2011, 20:56 »
Progress was halted a bit today, as I was forced to do emergency repairs to the fine grillwork on the sides of the tower.
Originally I had thinned the plastic from behind, and then drilled the individual holes.

Well, with all the sanding I've been doing lately, it really weakened those areas until finally it started breaking apart between the holes.
There was nothing I could do to save it.  :(

Luckily, I still had leftovers from the U-Brass set that I could graft into the tower!!!    Kudos to Wink & Dougie for creating that set, you saved my bacon AGAIN!  

I carefully cut out the PE pieces, and filed the edges close to the holes.  Then VERY carefully I cut matching holes in the plastic tower, fitted the PE pieces, and used CA to glue them in place flush.  To seal & blend the edges with the plastic, I applied a bit of CA around the outside edges, then a squirt of CA Accelerator hardened the CA.  Some light sanding later and voila!   Nicely grafted pieces.   A quick brush of paint showed no edges... looks good!

« Last Edit: 08 Sep , 2011, 20:58 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #55 on: 08 Sep , 2011, 22:28 »
Wowwwwwwww.... nice job!!!

Are ALL the rail parts made from 0.5mm brass wire?   The top rail looks thicker than the down stanchions.

You are right Glenn, i forgot to tell that the top rail is 0.7mm..
More pics of the railing can be seen in my topic: http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=443.0

By the way, nice repair on the grillwork, looks very neat  ;)

Karel
« Last Edit: 08 Sep , 2011, 22:31 by FoxbaT »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #56 on: 09 Sep , 2011, 05:24 »
U-673 is sure going to be one "interesting" looking boat, with the front AA platform.
Here's a teaser.
And yes, ALL of the holes in the forward resin platform had to be drilled out.  Over 1000 I think?

« Last Edit: 09 Sep , 2011, 05:32 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #57 on: 09 Sep , 2011, 07:59 »
And with the Flak37 mounted.   ;D
« Last Edit: 09 Sep , 2011, 08:04 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 Front AA Platform Railings
« Reply #58 on: 09 Sep , 2011, 10:43 »
There is NOT a lot of information about the front AA platform on U-673... in fact there are only 2 blurry photos that I've been able to find!

From that I was able to "guestimate" the front AA platform railings, and created some rough drawings that I'll use to build it.  Due to the complexity of this railing, likely I'll use alu. rod (more bendable) for the curved railings, and brass rod for the straight parts.  I'll be using CA to put it all together.  Not as strong as a solder joint, but a lot easier to do.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #59 on: 09 Sep , 2011, 18:38 »
Added the stanchion bases to the front AA platform, using 1.5mm (0.060") plastic rod.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca