Author Topic: For detail nuts  (Read 5076 times)

Mike K

For detail nuts
« on: 18 May , 2008, 13:12 »
   This is for anybody planning to do under-deck detailing.
   I'm assuming you already know about the external ribs, and the induction and exhaust piping, so this is for the hydraulic and air lines.
   PeriscopeFilm has two more books, in the pipeline. Hydraulic and Air Systems. Now, you'll be able to go nuts on detailing.
   Just remember:
1) All piping and wiring run over the ribs, not thru them.
2) all main ballast and fuel ballast tanks had two vent pipes (P/S) and shared a common vent valve, normally (but not always) located amidships.
3) The vent pipes for Numbers 1 and 7 main ballast tanks run up thru the torpedo rooms, then thru the hull. All others were external. That is, straight out of the tank top, to the vent valve.
4) Somewhere, a while back, I saw a drawing of the relative layout, for the vent pipes and valves, and flood ports. If I can find it, I'll let everybody know, and will email it to any one who wants it.
Mike K.

whaynesmd

Re: For detail nuts
« Reply #1 on: 18 May , 2008, 16:49 »
Mike, I'd be very interested in any drawings of the vent pipes, ports and any other details.  Thanks for the offer.
                                                               Walt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 19 May , 2008, 05:54 »
I think this spells "psycho time"  ;D- but I love it1 Would be a great dio with deck grates open and a repair...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Mike K

« Reply #3 on: 19 May , 2008, 20:49 »
   I found it. And a whole lot more! The trouble is, the files are huge, averaging around 20meg. So I won't be sending much. You'll have to go get them yourself, right here: http://www.maritime.org/drawings/index.htm

If this ain't enough, you're insatiable.

DBF,
Mike K

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 20 May , 2008, 05:01 »
Just got the Time Life book on subs in WWII, excellent book, many interesting pix you don't see elsewhere. Including some construction ones of sections and ribs. I highly recommend it. I found it as part of a set for a $1 million, but bought it by itself 2nd hand thru Amazon.

Time-Life WWII - War Under the Pacific

whaynesmd

« Reply #5 on: 20 May , 2008, 15:45 »
Mike, I've tried and tried but cannot get anything to show.  All I get is a blank screen with the dredded "red X".  Any suggestions?
                                                            Waly

Mike K

« Reply #6 on: 21 May , 2008, 10:46 »
  Hi Waly. I don't know what the problem is. It worked OK for me. Maybe your site filtering is stopping it. The red "x" is, usually for pictures it can't display (for whatever reason).

If you get the page OK, but this is happening when you try to view the drawing, it's because your explorer can't read a GIF formatted picture. I get the same thing. Just download the drawing, and read them straight from your computer.
   As I said before, these are huge files, they will still take a little while to load and display.
   The first drawing (Ships plans) is a PDF file, all the others are GIF. If you can't read the PDF file, download the Adobe Reader, it's free.

A final thought. If you want to use these drawings, for working on the model, copy the ones you want to a CD, take them to your local print shop and have them printed out, full size. Or whatever size you're comfortable with.
   Lastly, most of these drawings are not to scale. They're reference drawings. They were intended for use by crew members and work force. They show relative position, not actual. They'll get you in the ball park, you'll have to work backwards, to pin point things.

Mike K.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 23 May , 2008, 19:00 »
I must rant on about the Time Life book - there are great pix you usually don't see. One of them has 5 boats lined up at pearl, one is to the dock and the others are alongside each other, accessible from the dock with gangways - 1 to first boat, one from that boat to next, etc. They are all measure 9 black, with so much chipping at bow around gangway and lines. Much more on Port than Stbd, the almost white lighter peacetime gray poking out. Great stuff, will try to post a few pix.

Mike K

« Reply #8 on: 25 May , 2008, 12:53 »
   A little bit more info on the drawings. They're BIG. the smallest is the Radar Foundation drawing , 73 by 44 inches, The largest is the Salvage Air drawing, which is 193 by 44 (16' X 3.6').
   The height of the drawings is fairly consistent, running between a little over 43 inches to 48 inches (except TDS).
   The Target Designation System is one drawing that will be of little use to a modeler. Unless you plan a fully operational model, with a working TDS, you won't be using this one.
   There are six, "must have's", for exterior detail. Especially the under deck area. 600-10 Lb Blow, Compartment Access, Flood and Vent Valves, Fuel Oil, Hydraulics, and Salvage Air.
   Tank vent pipes are always located at the after end of the tanks, and blow lines feed into the vent pipes. The location of the vent valves was fairly consistent throughout the three classes (Gato/Balao/Tench). That's because they wanted to make it as simple as possible for salvage divers to find key items, in the event of a sub down, whatever the boat. Same thing for the Savage Air and Blow systems.

Mike K.

Mike K

« Reply #9 on: 28 May , 2008, 11:50 »
   OPPS!!! I missed an important one, Ventilation. This diagrams the layout of the main induction piping.
   That bring the "must have" list to, seven, of those drawings.

Mike K.