Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 48123 times)

TRM

Re: My U-69
« Reply #120 on: 24 Nov , 2010, 14:16 »
Simon,

Thank you again including the last technical drawing.  Between your drawing and the scan from U-boat Achieve, it all make a lot more sense now.  I assumed the bank of square vents near the keel, along with the ones located at the base of the saddle tanks were to control flooding during a dive. 

Once it was pointed out to me about the missing vent, it stands out like a sore thumb.  I found another good shot (below) as well as after examination of the stern part of the ModelBrass section (which I am replacing with the Eduard PE) there is a small indentation pretty much exactly where this "lost vent" is located.  Anyone using the Modelbrass deck with this section could easily open the 4mm hole and use some 1/700 PE railing for the grating.

Missing vent...

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #121 on: 24 Nov , 2010, 18:33 »
Went to work to rectify the "missing vent"

Thanks to all the information from Simon I plotted the vent and drill a small pilot hole:

Then using a larger bit and finishing off with a round file:

I cut a small ring using aluminum rod and sanded it as fine as I could.  This will be the escutcheon plate that (from what I can see) caps the vent on the deck"

Using some left over 1/700 railing stock, I cut the grates for the deck vent:

With the escutcheon ring in place, I wanted to add a section of tubing below deck.  Probably not seen, but in the right light???

A small cap from sheet stock for good measure:

I am thinking it came out, not half bad.

I notice a little CA residue on the edge of the vent....then thought it will work out nicely with the "gunk" that can get caught up in the vents, algae and stuff.

Thanks Again for all the help! ;)

Cheers!

« Last Edit: 24 Nov , 2010, 19:39 by TRM »

bracco_n

« Reply #122 on: 24 Nov , 2010, 18:38 »
I say it looks great!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #123 on: 24 Nov , 2010, 21:32 »
I think it great also!!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #124 on: 25 Nov , 2010, 02:26 »
Excellent metal working there TRM, it looks great!

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #125 on: 25 Nov , 2010, 16:15 »
Thanks Guys!  And thank you again Simon, for the heads up on the "missing vent". It's these small things that will hopefully make the project much better when done. ;)

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #126 on: 28 Nov , 2010, 09:22 »
Not an update yet.  Felt like mentioning....

Yesterday we laid our puppy, Shiloh, to rest. Kidney failure due to Lime disease, She was 3.  Good friend, great dog and one of the best parts of the family. Been trying to keep busy to fill the void.  The tedious framing above the saddle tanks seems to be working. We are dealing pretty well due to this unexpectedness and felt like posting a couple of pics.  Thanks.

Thanks Shiloh, you will be missed!

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #127 on: 28 Nov , 2010, 09:46 »
..... Worth the mention, TRM. A sad day indeed. Truly a mans best friend. My sympathies.
                                                                                Bill

TRM

« Reply #128 on: 28 Nov , 2010, 18:20 »
Thank you Bill, much appreciated.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 29 Nov , 2010, 22:17 »
Sorry to hear that TRM.  They really become part of the family, and it's hard to see them go.  Especially when so very young.

TRM

« Reply #130 on: 30 Nov , 2010, 03:56 »
Thank you Pat.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: 30 Nov , 2010, 21:05 »
TRM, I have a Revell "Constitution" at close to the same stage of construction.  It's been in my closet like that for 40 years now.  I'd built it while at university, and when I figured I only had a couple of hours left to finish it, it fell and was smashed beyond repair.

So I bought another kit and canibbalized all the parts I could from the first one to use to add more detail, like interior walls, furniture, pillars, crew members, etc.  Built it to the stage you have and then started wooden models and never went back to it.

Perhaps I should dig it out and finish it?

TRM

« Reply #132 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 04:11 »
Why not Pat?  I started mine almost 3 years ago (thought I felt guilty about that.....40?).  It's all wood POB scratch off a full set of plans.  I think when I started her I bit a little more off than I could chew at that time, or I just got burnt out from the over 1200 3/8" x 5/8" copper plates I cut and individually glued on.  Changed direction, started and completed a scratch Sultana 1:64 and then.....well projects seem to magically appear on the bench! ;D  Luckly, I have not gone too far on the project.  I have noticed things that I want to change and things I know I have improved with, so it will be easy to change and move forward instead of scrapping the hole thing.  Being 52" when complete and almost 36" tall I still need to find a place to put her too! ???

Cheers!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: 01 Dec , 2010, 20:49 »
Perhaps a bit of exaggeration.  Now that I stopped to add it up, it's been more like only 35 years LOL.

I think part of it was that Ihad to pack it up to move a couple of times, and going over the same things that I'd done before was a bit discouraging.  And also that when I started into wooden models, it was such a new and challenging experience, I lost interest in plastic.

However, now that I've built so many wooden and scratch-built models, I find I've learned enough that styrene is again a challenge, but only because I toss out most of the kit and modify so much of it, or rebuild it better out of scratch-built parts, that they've again become much more interesting.  A challenge to see just how far I can take all the skills I've gained over that time to make everything work and move like the real thing.

I really shold finish off the Constitution model.  I've got the plans for where each of the deckhead beams went and my intention was to use 'grain-of-wheat' lightbulbs, wired inside the beams and with an antique lantern framed around them to light up the interior.  But since those old days, now there are LED lights that might be even smaller.  I've also thought about replacing the cannons with steel ones, drilled out and with electric sparkers in the end so I can make it really fire.  Saw the real ship fire off a broadside once and it was REALLY impressive.

I'd love to see HMS Victory let loose like that.

All those copper plates would be quite the chore.  Wait until you get to the ratlines!

I got used to that sort of thing by doing the decks with individual planks which is why building a complete deck with opening hatches and and an underlying framework for my U-711 didn't seem very intimidating. 

TRM

« Reply #134 on: 02 Dec , 2010, 05:01 »
Rat llines do suck, but had fun on the Sultana.  Most likely because it was a hell of a lot smaller to start with.  I have a started POF hull section started as well, ran into some tool issues.  I have 2 garages and a 14' trailer full of tools....you think I would have a scroll saw!!! ::)  I have a full set of plans for 66 gun Treh Hierarhov (below).  Started some light cad stuff to get keel joints with it and set it aside.  POF would be great with this one, show the futtocks, tree nailing and such.  Need the scroll saw and a micro lathe for this one. ;D

Outstanding build!  Worth the look.  Everything, down to casting his own cannon!  Some day!

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6850&highlight=

Cheers!