Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 47942 times)

TRM

Re: My U-69
« Reply #105 on: 17 Nov , 2010, 17:50 »
Thanks for the kind words guys! 

As for the "Smell"       The smell of the putty is ok for the first 5 minutes....funny, used pay good money for that kind of buzz! :D  Key word is VENTILATION!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #106 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 00:49 »
Thanks for the kind words guys!  

As for the "Smell"       The smell of the putty is ok for the first 5 minutes....funny, used pay good money for that kind of buzz! :D  Key word is VENTILATION!

Squadrons Green Puty is especially effective- if messes with your kidneys if you indulge in that kind of activities often. :-\

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #107 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 02:23 »
Boat looks great!

Outer doors and shutters: they worked very much like the US Navy counterparts (details different) - the outer door, the round hatch part, was connected to the "shutter", so opening the outer door slide the shutter:

USN Gato style - but similar in principle

The major diff for the Kriegsmarine is that the shutter was attached differently and COVERED the outer door - you can't see the outer door when the shutter is open, just the shutter (attached at same point, but a sliding lever instead of a hinge in USN). So your beautiful outer doors will be...HIDDEN!!! (except or the hinge)

USN version:

Just imagine the shutter extending to block that round "hatch" outer door

« Last Edit: 18 Nov , 2010, 02:28 by rokket »
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #108 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 04:15 »
Thanks Siara.  Glad not to use this amount that often.  Every once and a while, but plenty of ventalation if not adding a small fan to draw to solvent based fumes away.  At work I do a bunch of commercially based products testing (Fire, Explosions and wind uplift).  With the wind uplift the primary adhesive is solvents.  Saftey is always paramount!

Wink,  thank you for the additional information on the shutters and inner doors.  Certainly makes sence to me now that I see it.
Cheers!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #109 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 10:37 »
U-69 is coming along nicely TRM.  You have done a great job with the PE torpedo doors. 

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #110 on: 20 Nov , 2010, 18:56 »
Thank you Ernest! 

Small Update and question (becoming a habit  :P)

Before I add the stern section of PE, I have seen  below deck piping added (mainly in Siara's 552) and wish to add myself.  Direction to a schematic I guess, is what I am looking for that kind of shows piping just below the deck.  I though I read somewhere either the bow and/or the stern opening threw the deck could be intake or exhaust for something.  I don't wish to simulate piping if it doesn't actually belong there.

Bow section:

Stern opening ???

Cheers!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #111 on: 20 Nov , 2010, 19:40 »
There very little piping in the stern section, nothing around the vents. You could add the top of outlets vents for MB Tank 1 (Red - in my drawing). Or you could add the deck vent for Stern Driving Tank (blue - in my drawing). This vent is almost missing off ever set of plans and models. You can see it in real life below (red arrow).

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #112 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 14:31 »
Hi TRM, your build is looking very, very good.  I think Simon answered you question quite well - and his drawings are a top reference!

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #113 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 15:18 »
Thanks Ernest, much appreciated. 

Simon, thanks for the info, section from your drawing (cannot say enough about technical knowledge gained from it!) and the photo of the "lost vent".  This vent would most likely have the same straight wire grating as the others I would assume?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Cheers!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #114 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 15:38 »
I not to sure, about the style of grating. I have not look into it yet. But from the photography above it look the same style and spacing as the outlets vents for MB Tank 1.

The distance from the very end of the stern decking to the central of the vent is 2,578 mm (36 mm at 1:72 scale) the size of the grate is 280 mm (4 mm).

How does that mark out on the stern section of PE? Does it look acceptable?

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 15:47 »
In TRM's post of Nov 20, the 4th picture down shows what I think is the intake grating for water into the saddle tanks.  (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

Lower and to the left of that is a round hole, which I couldn't identify on Revell's kit because it was just a circle, but now with the PE brass, it looks like a through-hull for either a drain or an intake that would probably go right through the saddle tank and into the hull.

Does anybody have any information on what this opening is for?

While I'm at it, I might as well ask about the rectangular areas forward and aft of the grill.  What are they and is there better information on what they look like?  Again, the kit isn't that helpful.

And finally, right inside the angle formed by the keel and the hull, in an indentation, there are several square ridges in the kit which I think might be water inlets for diving, but again I'm not sure.  What do they look like and how do they work?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #116 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 23:32 »
Lower and to the left of that is a round hole, which I couldn't identify on Revell's kit because it was just a circle, but now with the PE brass, it looks like a through-hull for either a drain or an intake that would probably go right through the saddle tank and into the hull.

Does anybody have any information on what this opening is for?

Pat, have not started my research for these vents yet, but I think you right that this goes in to the pressures. Below is a picture of the pressure hull, you can clearly see a similar size hole. If this is correct. I would say this would be the OUTLET vent for the Main driving Tank that is found under the control room.

I believe this picture is from www.u-historia.com

Edit: mean to say 'outlet vent'

« Last Edit: 23 Nov , 2010, 23:41 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #117 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 23:35 »
In TRM's post of Nov 20, the 4th picture down shows what I think is the intake grating for water into the saddle tanks.  (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes, they would be the inlet vents for the tanks within the saddle tank.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #118 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 23:38 »
While I'm at it, I might as well ask about the rectangular areas forward and aft of the grill.  What are they and is there better information on what they look like?  Again, the kit isn't that helpful.

Pat, I not a 100% sure where you are talking about?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #119 on: 23 Nov , 2010, 23:47 »
And finally, right inside the angle formed by the keel and the hull, in an indentation, there are several square ridges in the kit which I think might be water inlets for diving, but again I'm not sure.  What do they look like and how do they work?

Also finally here a link to the valve that you can talking http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate28.htm (Bottom right) They are the inlet vents for the MB 3 tank (or the main driving Tank). You can also see the valves for the inlet for MB 3 and the valves for the saddle tank.

Simon