Author Topic: New to the forum, working on deciding!  (Read 5380 times)

TRM

New to the forum, working on deciding!
« on: 17 Apr , 2010, 14:29 »
Hello All,

I am glad to be here.  I have lurked in and out for a while, mostly when photos popped up while using Google for other research.  Outstanding craftsmanship by all. I have always had a facination with U-boats.  I have been building for a little while, working my way around and picking things up as I go...when the Revell VIIC dropped onto my bench from a good friend, it just might be time.  

Not sure which build to do yet.  Compiling a multitude of research and narrowing it down.  I know I like the look of the net cutter and conning towers of the early and mid VIIC's, deck guns and a fair amount of detail that will have to be scratch built... but I am open for suggestions (hint, hint).  Certainly the history of the boat comes into play a little, I don't want to really build something that never made it out of the slipway. I would assume from the amount of U-69's & the 552 there is more information available than others. Alas I am just scratching the surface of the u-boat community.  I am sure I will have a few novice questions before I actually start.

Please chime in with any suggestions!!!!

Regards,
T

UrpoK

Re: New to the forum, working on deciding!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 15:10 »
Welcome aboard TRM!
You have found the right site!
Timo

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 15:17 »
Welcome aboard TRM!

Maybe the hardest thing about any build is choosing the boat ;D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 18:38 »
Welcome TRM! Glad to have you aboard.

We've been thru the stuff you're considering now. And as NZ says, it can be fun in itself.

Probably a good starting point if you are interested in accessories like cutters and such, is Dougie's 59 page article on VII mods at the AMP library: PDF,  http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml (last article, bott pg). It lists about all the mods ever done to any VII - you should be able to fin at least some potentials or ranges to further narrow down.

You're right about some handful of famous boat flooding the interloobs with info, and almost nothing on many boats. But you can get "implied" info on other less documented boats. eg., my boat U 557, was because of the book Iron Coffins. At the time, there were NO pix of 557. (Possibly one, but it could have been any VIIC - after finishing the model a handful of pix appeared...aaarrrrrgh!). So I went with some info on 556 and famous 558, because they were all laid down at the same time, and 557-558 were real sisters, 30 day difference. (Therefore what 558 had, it was likely 557 had). So if you find a boat with little known, there still might be a way around things.

Have you thought about a VIIB? a few folks have changed VIICs into Bs very successfully.

Hope this helps, keep us posted about your logic and choices. We'll find the right one for you!

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 19:05 »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! 

Rokket,

Thanks.  I actually printed the section out yesterday at work...I know I killed a tree (actually a 2' tree after having to do the math with my daughter when she saw the paper...FYI, she says a 4' stack of paper would take a 48' tree to make...I'll go with it for now).  It doesn't go to waist. Folders in the work area for future use when done.  If I could get a half way decent profile shot from each side by side a may be able to make a decision.  Oh yeah...thanks! lol.  thinking what you were saying about the VIIB????? now that is mixed in again.  This is fun and I have not even started.  Now I really have to brush up on the German and work with the "salting" technique...the results are pretty amazing.

Thanks again!

Regards,
T

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 20:14 »
Welcome!

If accuracy is important, you might want to select a boat that is well photographed.  Each boat seems to have been unique - sometimes major differences and sometimes minor, but different.  Be sure to review the work done by Dougie - it is excellent.

Cheers,

Bill

TRM

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr , 2010, 07:19 »
Thanks Billy.  I will check Dougie's work, still working my way around the site.   I agree, working with a boat that has photo would be a heck of a lot easier...Like Rokket mentioned, if there ends up being a sister ship I could "assume" their similarities.
Thanks Again,
T

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr , 2010, 10:45 »
I'm more of a Gato nut but these U-Boat guys here do know their stuff. My next sub will be a German boat....geuss I couldn't stay away forever.

TRM

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr , 2010, 13:55 »
Wildspear,

They certainly do...been just looking through old post and you get kind of lost but caught up in the tech.  I like the Gato class.  I have it on the things I need to do list.  I have  on the workbench already, VII (?U-#), 1/350 USS Missouri (Process of bashing kit), 1/44 XXI U-2540 (scratch interior hull underway), 1/600 RMS Titanic (3/4 done), 1/700 waterline series of VIIC & IXC (cute kit...real small but fits at work with my growing collection of 1/700 fleet), 1/700 USS Arizona (still in box...wanted the Dragon Model version but A friend gave it to me), 1/72 USS Constitution (Scratch built from Plans, real long project) Lastly a co-CAD Scratch build that will be years from completion of the Russian Frigate (http://www.mediafire.com/i/?iqnndzhtmmn  )  Seems like a lot but I will move around depending on paint and filler drying or waiting to buy and/or parts to come in.  I like some of the small stuff...this way I can complete something and feel OK while working on something big.

Miscellaneous others:
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?zd2mywbdkj5
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?2eimof3bznn
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?niijtntnzkj
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?rzxjhkzwodh
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?mmoyyinnynt
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?mdjy5jttijt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr , 2010, 02:20 »
Hi T,

yes, we all have a lot in the "on going/to do" pile. "Massachusetts" I see in your location, what part? I'm originally from Cape Cod (Osterville/Centerville/Hyannis).

Constitution looks awesome! Love the shots. When it's time for sails, let us know here at AMP, our flag fabric has special properties and is excellent for shaping and draping, as well as of course, flags. It would be fun to do a pre-WWII US flag.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr , 2010, 04:51 »
Just outside Worcester, in Boylston (small town).  Love the cape, Sister owns a place in Wellfleet.

As for the sails, I will have to take you up on that.  The wife hates to sew and I will not be looking forward to that.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr , 2010, 08:51 »
Just outside Worcester, in Boylston (small town).  Love the cape, Sister owns a place in Wellfleet.

As for the sails, I will have to take you up on that.  The wife hates to sew and I will not be looking forward to that.

Just my two cents worth about chosing a boat to build:

First off, the advice to consider a boat that is well documented in photographs makes a lot of sense. I'd second that idea.

That said, the artist in me suggests that one with a really great insigna on the CT is worth considering. You see, while there are a lot of variaibles within the Type VII design I.E. limber holes, splash shields, net cutters etc, these can often be subtle details whereas the boat emblem was a source of great pride and morale for the crew, and was often the most distinguishing difference to the casual observer. Sort of like a brightly colored tie with a conservative business suit. It's one sure way to give your boat a personality all its own.

Just one more consideration.

Happy modeling.

Don

TRM

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr , 2010, 10:49 »
Thanks for the advice Don.  The more I search, the more I....well, the more I dig my self in deeper.  I am enjoying the knowledge building, organizing pics of "documented" boats...actuall ofun myself taking measurements of the deck parts with the faint notion on constucting the wood section myself.  (have not found too many articles on that yet).

Thanks again!

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr , 2010, 10:59 »
Thanks for the advice Don.  The more I search, the more I....well, the more I dig my self in deeper.  I am enjoying the knowledge building, organizing pics of "documented" boats...actuall ofun myself taking measurements of the deck parts with the faint notion on constucting the wood section myself.  (have not found too many articles on that yet).

Thanks again!

Glad to have you aboard, and look forward to hearing about your build.

Two more thoughts; First, if you are having trouble deciding which boat to build it is possible to build more than one. I say that knowing that it can take as much as year to do just one (Depending on how anal you are.), but it is an option.

Secondly, keep reminding yourself that this is, after all is said and done, a hobby.  I have a sign over my work table that says: "This is supposed to be fun." I look at it a lot.

Don

TRM

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr , 2010, 18:52 »
Don,

Thanks, I will probably build another...but if I start another I might be moving to Cincinnati!  The wife reads, I make things.  It's all fun. 

Getting closer - - 67, 68, 69, 552, 96....I think.   But a least I have en enormous collection of photos.  Putting them into categories: Deck fore and aft, Conning, etc.  Getting close to 300 pics. I will undoubtedly narrow it down to 3 or 4 and have to poll or set up the dart board and close my eyes and shoot. LOL.