Author Topic: rail pic  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
rail pic
« on: 07 Feb , 2010, 01:28 »
Just stumbled onto this pic, you guys have probably seen it, but it is new to me - good rail and antenna connection detail

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: rail pic
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 07:31 »
No, I for one hadn't seen that one before rokket.  Thanks for posting it.  there's a LOT of info there.

It looks like the stabilizing cables for the shortwave wires loops over the top of the railing and then down to a cleat behind the socket for the flagstaff.  Probably the same cleat that would be used for holding the ensign in place.

It shows the cables going to the "horns" as being strapped on the outside.  I'd thought of them going up inside but now another detail I have to make.

The different size of the railing tubing is evident.  The more I see that the more I think I can scratchbuild a railing by drilling instead of soldering.  (I'm not very good at soldering but have a lot of experience drilling brass and aluminum).

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 23:37 »
Hi Pat,
Yeah, my "horns" don't have all that good stuff either!

If you do drill, please impart your wisdom! Love to see a step-by-step.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 00:44 »

If you do drill, please impart your wisdom! Love to see a step-by-step.

Me too.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 07:10 »
I'd be happy to send pix, but the best I can do is from my cell phone as I don't have a digital camera.  Not sure how much detail the cell captures.

I'm still having computer problems too, this morning, it took 1/2 hour just to open one of my email accounts.  At this point, I've spent enough $ (that I can't afford) trying to fix this computer that I should have just bought a new one instead.

I still have to post the pix my wife scanned of those fittings on the bow I was talking about that might be something to do with torpedo loading, but I want to get this $%&* box working right before I attempt anything more difficult.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 09 Feb , 2010, 03:54 »
Computers. I bought my house mate's old one some years ago, and put a lot of money in to fixing it up. Moved down to Florida for a job, With my compuyer, "good as new".  My new room-mate, a coworker, bought us a new game to try. Loaded the game and error msg. Nothing worked.

I felt that the computer was pure evil, having sucked up the last of my money and refusing to work.

I had a survival knife I was using as a rigging knife (overkill, but fun). The blade was just a tad thicker than a 3.5" floppy disk. It inserted silently into the disk drive,  but for a faint "shhhhhlllkkk". I used the knife blade as a lever and did some damege. I then removed the case and hacked at the main CPU chip with the knife.

Surprisingly, the silcon combo is very, very tough, and it was difficult to scratch the chip. I took some gouges out, not really chips in the chip.

I then took the carcass outside to the dumpster and threw it in. It felt good.  Real good.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb , 2010, 11:56 »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 00:25 »
LOL

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 06:32 »
LOL, that cartoon is SO true.

I've been waiting 1/2 hour for my email to open up.  And about 5 minutes for MS Word to open so that I can type something.  If I could afford a new computer, I'd go out to the garage and get the 20 lb sledge.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 00:58 »
Ahh, the ole steam powered machines, had a few over the years myself.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 11:59 »
LOL, that cartoon is SO true.

I've been waiting 1/2 hour for my email to open up.  And about 5 minutes for MS Word to open so that I can type something.  If I could afford a new computer, I'd go out to the garage and get the 20 lb sledge.

Pat:

Most computer problems can be solved with a suitable charge of high explosive.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 15:20 »
Oh, I've been tempted Don.  I've been tempted.

The biggest problem is how to pay for a replacement computer when I can't even afford a PE set for my U-boat.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr , 2010, 06:18 »
What boat did that picture come from? Would that pic work for most railing on type VII?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr , 2010, 18:25 »
I wish I could tell you. When I say I stumbled, it was pretty web-literal. No ref info.