Author Topic: Type VIIC Refrigeration Plant  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Type VIIC Refrigeration Plant
« on: 08 May , 2019, 10:06 »
Does anyone have any pics or info on the refrigeration plant and evaporator/provisions locker? I have the Krupp manual that gives a brief description but I can't figure out where the components are. The Compressor/Condenser is supposed to be in the Control Room and the Evap/Provisions Locker in the NCO compartment. Being in the HVAC trade (and being a total nerd for any old HVAC equipment), I'd really like to find any pics of the components or at least where they're located.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Type VIIC Refrigeration Plant
« Reply #1 on: 08 May , 2019, 14:07 »
Hi Katuna
Im modelling a 1/48 U552 and the only photo I've found to date is on of the Provisions fridge on U995.
As U995 was updated postwar by Norway, I'm not sure if its WW2.

The boat itself obviously had a lot of compression gear on board but for provision refrigeration it may have been self contained.
Also I read that in the Galley some sources state a small Fridge inside the outside wall but I've never seen it.

As for the compressors etc they may be in the fridge but troll around www.U-Historia.com
They have a huge amount of info but if you don't read Spanish convert it to English in Google when you search the site.
« Last Edit: 08 May , 2019, 14:19 by Raymic1 »

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 08 May , 2019, 15:41 »

Is that photo in the NCO quarters? I can just make out the edge of the wood frame work of the bunks and a bit of the orange bedding cover. I'm surprised it would be that small given the added amount of weight the refrigeration system would add to the boat. Hardly seems like it was worth the trouble for the small amount of fresh food you could fit in there.

Thanks so much for the pic. That's the only one I've ever seen.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 08 May , 2019, 16:08 »
Yes that's just aft of the control room.
If you leave the control room going aft into the NCO area it would be directly left if you are  facing aft.

And also I think another even smaller fridge was in the gallery area. On the wall by the sink. They called it a Provision locker with a fridge inside.
And I think refrigeration was in its practical infancy back then so a lot of meat etc was seasoned and salted so maybe the fridge requirements were small
But no pictures yet.

Also I'm sure I read in the U505 and U534 capture reports about refrigeration
« Last Edit: 08 May , 2019, 16:22 by Raymic1 »

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 08 May , 2019, 16:37 »

Just went through U-Historia. I had glanced at that site some time back but never dug into it. Wow! What a great site. Tons of info in there. Was working my Google Translate overtime.

As to refrigeration infancy, it is actually because of my grandfather that I am in the trade. He volunteered for refrigeration school during WWII and was a refrig. mechanic during the landings in Normandy. He went into the trade after he came home and latter my father went into the trade. I just marked 30 years of the same so you can see why I have a weird obsession on the subject.

I'm with you on the Provisions storage in the Galley. I don't think there was enough room in the Port cabinet.

I too am building the Trumpeter U-552 as U-371 in the Mediterranean. Quite the daunting challenge if you want it correct but I'm a superdetail nut so the kit is tailor made for it.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 08 May , 2019, 16:51 »
Yep I'm into my 2nd year completely rebuilding the Trumpeter kit because it so innacurate

Just completing the Tower. The Periscope tower is only sitting there and Uzo going in soon

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: 09 May , 2019, 03:46 »
 Hi Katuna, I am not sure the Type VII A, B and C's had a food refrigerator, at least early in the war. Type VII F were equipped w refrigerators as well as Type IX, type XIV and XXI. This is a Good topic indeed. Type VII C manual at http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual/Manual.htm (page 148) describes the refrigeration system of the boats. Anyway i havent found information about a fridge for food storage. Am sure you are already familiar with this page: https://uboat.net/men/foodstuffs.htm about food storage in a Type IX boat. Will do some more research as soon as am back home tonight and let you know if I find something interesting. Am sure Tore knows about it.
Cheers,
SG

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 09 May , 2019, 04:18 »
I just noticed in my photo the heater in a strange place behind the fridge
Obviously the heater was installed before the fridge.
And I read somewhere that Snakedoc Marciek (RIP) wrote that these heaters were post WW2 so it makes sense that the fridge wasn't WW2.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 09 May , 2019, 08:14 »

I noticed the heater too. Thought that was odd. I was led to believe that those were installed when the boat was converted into a museum but obviously they wouldn't mount that where they did if that was the case. If you look overhead, there is a piece of the wiring raceway common to the museum lighting retrofit. There are also brackets on the bulkhead so something else was in there originally.

The plot thickens...

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 09 May , 2019, 08:33 »

Ray - I've been following your build. I'm just getting started myself. Been doing tons of research (which I love doing, so that helps). There seems to be no one place to start that doesn't require a crapload of extra work so I jumped in armpit deep into the Engine room. Simon Morris' drawings led me here. It's someplace I can ask questions and actually get answers back! Hopefully I don't make a nuisance of myself over time.

Really like your conning tower/attack 'scope detail. The bridge is shaping up nicely too. Is that the Eduard MG15?

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 09 May , 2019, 23:07 »
Katuna
No the MG34 is a Tamiya kit on with an RB brass barrel

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 11 May , 2019, 00:02 »
Hi, did some research:
I found plenty of information and very good pics on the french publication "Los Hors-Serie 09: La vie a bord des U-boote".
http://u.cubeupload.com/SGm/image3.jpg
Also check your PM inbox
Cheers

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 11 May , 2019, 06:27 »
Cool SG.
Can you share this info??

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 11 May , 2019, 10:37 »
Info is not about the refrigeration am afraid but mostly about storage of provisions, cooking etc. (Raymic check PM).
The book tells only about a refrigerator located opposite to the electric stove, but am not so sure this is true on the type VII a,b,c's. Maybe U995 refrigerator is the source of a misinterpretation or there was indeed a refrigerator on board but only for a very limited use because of its small dimensions. Really interesting.
Anyway don't forget to store bread loafs in hammoks suspended in the electric engines' space and stuff one of the toilets with plenty of provisions ;D !
« Last Edit: 11 May , 2019, 11:37 by SG »

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #14 on: 11 May , 2019, 12:08 »

Yes, already found several sources for provision, both fresh and canned. Also, found a source for netting that looks close to the correct size and type. I'm modelling towards the end of a particular patrol so I don't need to stuff the aft WC! Can't forget the piss buckets anyway though.

Thanks again for the additional info. Any info is appreciated, even if I can't read it. Already started translating though.