Author Topic: Torpedo inerts  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
Torpedo inerts
« on: 07 Nov , 2015, 17:31 »
Hello all,
I was wondering how or what would be the most probable layout for the front torpedo inerts is for the u-564.
I have been looking at the beautiful u-552 built blog, where I noticed a type of double layers for the torpedo bays (the area behind the torpedo doors).
Does anyone know what would be the most probably layout of the strucure?
I have the WEM set for the cheeks and modifying the structure, but I am wondering what would be most accurate with open doors?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Regards,
Roel

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Torpedo inerts
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 01:56 »
Hello all,
I was wondering how or what would be the most probable layout for the front torpedo inerts is for the u-564.
I have been looking at the beautiful u-552 built blog, where I noticed a type of double layers for the torpedo bays (the area behind the torpedo doors).
Does anyone know what would be the most probably layout of the strucure?
I have the WEM set for the cheeks and modifying the structure, but I am wondering what would be most accurate with open doors?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Regards,
Roel

What time during the war are you look at?

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 02:32 »
Maybe dumb to ask, but would they differ in different periods?
I am building the same version that has been built by Frank Dargies, while that shows already great examples of how to do specific things. It is a beautiful built and so, I thought as a beginner it would be smarter to start from a great example.
Regards,
Roel

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 12:35 »
Hi Roel

I think I misunderstand your post :( I thought you were talking about the torpedo layout in the tubes.

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 13:33 »
The question is not too well formulated, the thing is that I do not really know how to describe this well:
http://u-552.blogspot.nl/2008/02/torpedo-bay-inerts.html
This shows a great way of how the insides of the sub look behind the torpedo doors. This is the structure I mean. I hope that clarifies it a bit.
I found one image of the hull that suggest what the u552 has is correct, but it is only one image. U-552 was I believe a viic/41, but I am looking at a viic.
Maybe there are differences, or would these inner structures be the same? There is one shot that I have seen of the u-boat in Chigago that suggest also that there are two plates between the two torpedo doors as an inner structure.
Looking at the book von U-boot zum modeltyp suggest according to plan 8 that there were two plates between the upper and lower torpedo door.
I hope this better explains what I am trying to figure out.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 14:57 »
I have not researched this area of the boat... but I will be very surprise if there any different in the internal framing in this area of the boat between any Type VIIC’s.

I imagine Siara, got it right... but Maciek or Dougie may know more.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov , 2015, 07:52 »
Bow torpedo hatches.
The operation of the bow torpedo hatches, I assume, works as follows referring to my image below. The bowhatches are operated from inside by rotating rods and linkages marked red. At the end of the operationrod is, as very VIIC commonly used, a threaded part having a traveling nut which transfer the rotational movement to push/pull movement to an arm connected to the fulcrum of the pressureproof bowhatch of the torpedo tube. The bow torpedotubes have angled muzzles towards the submarine centerline, a detail sometimes omitted by modelbuilders. I guess the reason for this design is to make accommodation for the fulcrums and fairingdoors well out of the torpedotrack. Indeed the cross section of the angled muzzle makes an oval hatch opening and the hatch is, due to the manufacturing process, circular, however as the angle is relatively small I guess the difference is compensated by the hatch face packing tolerances.
 Opposite the fulcrum of the hatch is a shaft attached to the hatch acting as a connection point for a double set of rods which ends in a sliding shoe in a slot on the inside of the fairing door. When the torpedohatch shuts, this linkage pull the fairingdoor in place making the bow fairing, when the hatch opens, the side moves in the fairingdoor slot and the links pushes the fairingdoor inwards and thus covers the bowhatch and fulcrum, hence the hatch, fulcrum and links are not visible.
Tore

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov , 2015, 09:47 »
Tore, thank you for the Information and the detailed description, this adds a lot of moddeling fun:)
I will certainly use this when I continue work on the torpedo area. I have the cmk set, but it is clear that there is a lot of detailing to add.
Thank you again,
Regards,
Roel

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov , 2015, 09:52 »
Something by the way that I never would have realised without these images is that the tubes are angled at the end. In most case you just see a pipe with a straight end!
I am already wondering how to adjust that in the kit!