Author Topic: 1/72 Revell Type VIIC/41  (Read 41088 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: 1/72 Revell Type VIIC/41
« Reply #60 on: 19 Oct , 2015, 11:30 »
Excellent progress TristanR! 
Have you ever considered using Gator's grip glue? I'm using it successfully on my small scale project (1/400) where I just need a few diluted drops spread on the parts with a brush, but i don't have experience on the much bigger scale (1/72 ;D ). Theoretically it should have the right bonding qualities also for gluing bigger parts. It's a very versatile glue and a valid alternative to CA and soldering; most of all is non toxic. Worth a try. For more information: http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html
Keep up the outstanding work!

« Last Edit: 19 Oct , 2015, 11:33 by SG »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #61 on: 19 Oct , 2015, 17:15 »
That glue sounds promising, i do wonder what the shelf life is of it though.

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #62 on: 19 Oct , 2015, 17:58 »
Thanks for the Glue tip, I will try that, anything that makes working with PE is worth a try!

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #63 on: 04 Nov , 2015, 15:35 »
I have been busily avoiding the proper work of making the model in favour of playing with the laser cutter again. [/size]The top piece is a 'buck' to help me make brass railings, and the bottom is the wintergarten deck.

Here I have filled in a lot of holes for the watertight hatches, and a cut a slot to receive the faring on the conning tower.

And here is the assembled bucks for the lower wintergarten, whereever you see a wooded edge I will tape a brass rod to, holding the railing in place while I solder it, at least I hope that's what will happen!

close up of the upper railing buck

The bottom part of the buck is the exact same shape as the deck park.

Cheers!

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #64 on: 05 Nov , 2015, 12:01 »
Massive, Outstanding work, the Ultra-jig!  8)

Well done!

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #65 on: 10 Nov , 2015, 11:53 »
This really is a fascinating build you have going on, we are watching it with interest!
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #66 on: 16 Nov , 2015, 23:59 »

Hey, Thanks guys,  Glenn I enjoy leaning all sorts of thing reading through your builds, thanks!

I am going to try 3D printing some parts out, specifically the pressure hull plumbing. My plan is to print the blue bits, which are sized to Evergreen tubes of varying sizes (white), to cut down on printing costs.  At least that's the plan!  Here are some shots of the 3D model. 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #67 on: 17 Nov , 2015, 01:40 »
3 D prints.
Nothing beats the 3D prints, but  it requires a substantial research to get the details correct. The main hullexhaust valves are  intricate peaces of equipment. If you just look at the outboard pipings you should bear in mind this arrangement incorporate both the main engine exhaust- and coolingwater overboard system, including the compensating water supply. The cooling water goes through the pressurehull via the coolingwater chamber of the inner exhaustvalve housing. However right outside the pressurehull is a flange for the outer main exhaustvalve, blocking the free flow of the coolingwater so this flange has to be bypassed by a pipebend.  Your excellent 3D image misses this pipe. If you really want to go into details you have in addition a number of drive rods for the valveoperation and pneumatic grinding of the valves as well as compensatingwater branch off and drain pipes. But I guess you cannot have it all.
I discussed the details of the system with Simon back in 2013 in my thread ending up with Simons excellent drawings of the system.
Tore
« Last Edit: 17 Nov , 2015, 13:39 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #68 on: 17 Nov , 2015, 11:44 »
The main air inlet pipe has a diameter of 550 mm and was not able to be bent into a nice curve. So the Germans cut the pipe to 30° sections.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #69 on: 17 Nov , 2015, 11:46 »
Air Inlet Mast

« Last Edit: 17 Nov , 2015, 11:56 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #70 on: 17 Nov , 2015, 11:56 »
Diesel Exhaust Output Exchange Valve

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #71 on: 19 Nov , 2015, 03:05 »
Thank you Tore and NZsnowman for taking the time to respond with such great information.  I've not found much in the way of reference for the exhaust section, so it is appreciated.  I would like to get them fairly accurate including drive rods etc,  but I am probably not going to able to be super accurate, I am limited by what I have already built for the pressure hull, and I would like to use off the shelf styrene tubes for as many pipe sections as possible since 3d printing via shapeways is priced on material volume.

I got the first test print back from shapeways, just to see what the detail level and size was like.  I will make some changes based on your feedback and get another print done.  Should look good with some primer on.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #72 on: 19 Nov , 2015, 04:02 »
Hi TristanR,
Have you considered using brass tubing, if you are sneaky are look round at both metric and imperial you can find very close matches. My type IX upper hull has a combination of plastic and brass tubing.
Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #73 on: 19 Nov , 2015, 04:24 »
This is simply brilliant:) what a fantastic idea to print these!

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #74 on: 19 Nov , 2015, 07:51 »
Have you considered marketing these as a set?   :)
« Last Edit: 19 Nov , 2015, 10:58 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca