Author Topic: Newbie here…1/72 Type VIIC - U96  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Machinehand

• Midshipman Cadet
Newbie here…1/72 Type VIIC - U96
« on: 17 Sep , 2014, 09:59 »
Hello, I’m new here. I was always fascinated by submarines as a kid. A few years ago I saw a 1/72 Type VIIC on EBay and I had to have it. I figured I would build it after I retired…in about 10 years.

I haven't built a model since I was a kid. I will say this...things have changed a bit. Back then we had testers glue in a tube, enamel in rattle cans, and the little glass bottles of Testers paint for brushing...that was about it. I had never heard of weathering, filtering, pigments, putty…etc. I had never used acrylic model paints or an airbrush for models. It was clear I would have a lot of catching up to do.

As a youngster my goal was to build models that looked pristine, shiny, and as perfect as possible. Of course, they never really turned out that way…finger prints, pain drips…etc. I wanted to do the opposite with this U-boat model. I wanted it to look as if it has been on patrol in the Atlantic for months...filthy, weathered, and rusty.

Because it was my first model in decades, I decided to build it out of the box...no upgrades. The only thing I chose not to use from the kit was the string supplied for tension cables (too fuzzy and didn't look like steel cable) and the decals. Since I wanted to build it as the U96 I ordered the AMP decal set along with the waterline markers. I recently ordered the German war ensign but it hasn’t arrived yet. I have seen some extraordinary examples of finished models using wood decks and brass detail sets to add more realism to the finished model. Perhaps some of them were done by members of this very forum. As a beginner, I didn't think I was ready for all that…one step at a time. It was going to be challenging enough to work with what was in the box and learn how to best use all of the new available products.

I did some online research and read the articles that Dougie and Wink put together…outstanding work and thank you! They were very helpful. Now that it’s pretty much complete I see many things I would have done differently…one being the color of the U96 Laughing Sawfish. After reading The Wolf Pack, reviewing period photos, de-saturating images of possible colors and comparing them to the value of the old photos I realize that Dark Green was probably the correct color for the U96. I have also made a proper base for it since the photos were taken.

It took about 3 months of spare time to complete. I live in Michigan. The winters can be pretty nasty. It's good to have an indoor hobby between November and March. I really enjoyed this build…especially the weathering phase. I already have my next project waiting…the Revell 1/72 Type IXC. I think I’ll wait for the snow to fly before I start that one.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep , 2014, 10:01 by Machinehand »

Offline falo

• Admiral
Re: Newbie here…1/72 Type VIIC - U96
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep , 2014, 11:14 »
Hi Machinehand,

first of all welcome aboard!

Very good paint job and a clean built

Regards
Falo

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep , 2014, 14:40 »
Hi Machinehand,

A excellent first attempt, some interesting photo angles as well, rather than the usual.
What did you use for the cables? multi strand copper wire?
3 months, I've had my Type IXC for 9 months and the hull still isn't joined together

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Machinehand

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep , 2014, 17:59 »
Thank you. I just used my Iphone. I couldn't get all of it in the frame so I had to get creative.

The tread I used is some type of Dacron thread. It's used for stitching together leather seats in the automotive industry... Real tough stuff. I liked it because it's wound like tiny cable. It was medium gray to start with. I washed and wiped it with black wash several times to get the cable look. It seems to have a wax like coating so it doesn't want to absorb the wash immediately. In retrospect the gauge I used is probably too heavy. The other options seemed either much heavier or too light. The heavy stuff was for stitching leather wrapped steering wheels. I made tiny cable crimps by splitting tiny tubing in half and re-rolling to make it half the original diameter. 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep , 2014, 15:18 »
Hi Machinehand!
Welcome to the forum and I am impressed by you first VIIC model. I particularly appreciate your resistance to overdo the weathering and canning. To make an accurate model is very challenging as the commercials kits are not always up to the original submarine which often require some research to get correct. The floodgates are one of the items which might be different for the various U boats. You might almost consider the gates as the fingerprints of the boats. One floodgate patterns however seems to be the same for all the VIICs, the foremost bowgates in the waterline. There are three on the port side and two on the starboard. The kits usually have a symmetric three flowgates on both sides. I have put up a picture showing the details of the starboard side of U 70 and U 995. Allthough U70 a VIIC  put in service 1940 and the U995 a VIIC/41 put in service 1943 they both have these floodgates alike as would the later versions of the VIIC. The strange thing for the U 995 is that when she came to Germany end 1960 she had three floodgates on both sides whereas in my time on board she had the original pattern. I guess the kitmakers have studied the museum U995 rather than consulted the original drawings. Today the museum U995 has no floodgates at all.
A final remarks concerns the casingrivets which on some kits are too big almost like boiler rivets which makes them very visible which is becoming worse when exposed to weathering.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Sep , 2014, 00:03 by tore »

Offline Machinehand

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep , 2014, 19:08 »
Thanks Tore.

I wanted to make it look like it just returned from an average tour in the Atlantic. I didnt want it to look like it's been bombed and sunk. I did come across a few executions online that were just too much in my opinion but that's one of the nice thinks about this hobby...

Yes, the flood gates...finger prints of the boat, I like that. The kit makers are using a generic configuration...enough to satisfy the average modeler. I saw some diagrams and photos (like yours) that showed the proper number and configuration of the flood gates for some of the different boats. I will be keeping all that in mind when I start the Type IX. I will also, when opening the flood gates, thin the material around the gates for a more realistic look. the plastic is just too thick in scale.

Good point about the rivets too. In the photos of the real boats, they're barely visible. Its ironic because when I was building this kit I was careful not to disturb or sand off the rivets. I should have knocked them down to a realistic size.

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep , 2014, 17:11 »
First of all welcome to the forum and the addiction!  Thanks for showing your fine build, it looks great especially with the short amout of time it took you. As for the rivets, Archer has a replacement kit that is basically water slide transfers.  A bit tedious to use but I think they are more to scale. Something to think about for your next boat.
Regards,
Brian

Offline Machinehand

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep , 2014, 07:40 »
Thank you VonStigler. I saw those Archer rivet transfers online. I honestly don't think I have the patience to use those things...or the eyesight! I haven't seen any images of models where someone has used those rivet transfers. I would like to see how convincing they are.

I just realized I haven't seen many images of completed models in this forum. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep , 2014, 19:42 »
So far I have built 4 boats and all have been posted here.  I am currently working on a Type VIIC U-480 with Alberich tiles and Flakvierling 38 Quad that I hope to be posting sometime soon!  As for the Archer rivets, here is a shot of my U-552.  The replacement rivets are from about the dive plane pivot forward. It may be hard to see from the pic but they are definitley more subtle than the molded in rivets.

Offline Machinehand

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep , 2014, 06:52 »
Those look pretty good VonStigler...Thanks.  I think I'm convinced now I just need to get some stronger glasses. Hey...nice job on your model. I like the paint layered effect. It look like its been repainted each time, after many patrols

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep , 2014, 04:36 »
Thanks!  All of my boats have been posted here, I think you can search my user name to see the threads.  Get yourself a good clamp-type magnifier and a opti-visor and you should be good to go

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #11 on: 01 Oct , 2014, 09:30 »
Thank you VonStigler. I saw those Archer rivet transfers online. I honestly don't think I have the patience to use those things...or the eyesight! I haven't seen any images of models where someone has used those rivet transfers. I would like to see how convincing they are. I just realized I haven't seen many images of completed models in this forum. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Look here:  www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U673/
and go to page "Rivets"
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: 09 Dec , 2014, 04:04 »
beautiful! so clean