Author Topic: Aftermarket list for 1/72 U-boot ?  (Read 15056 times)

Cezar

Aftermarket list for 1/72 U-boot ?
« on: 24 Jan , 2009, 14:28 »
Gentleman.
I

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: Aftermarket list for 1/72 U-boot ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 14:47 »
Cezar- all you asked for can be found here-  http://www.modelsbymickster.com/cgi-bin/hobbyshop/hobbyshop.pl?inv=Uboote

Everything under one roof.
Apart from the inner pressure hull it is all good, and worth getting. ;D

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 14:57 »
Hi Cezar, I copied the list from Wink's website covering his U-557 build, and have edited it a bit to bring it up to the present.  My comments on the aftermarket accessories that I have experience with are in red. By the way, the list is all 1/72nd scale.  Undoubtably I have missed a few.  However we can add to the list!  ;D

Brass Gun Barrels and Periscopes: MxM, Steve Nuttal, Schatton Modelbarrels
NOTE: Steve Nuttal passed away August 2006, his barrels and scopes will be unavailable in future unless his family continues.
The schatton barrels and his periscopes are first class.  I order them direct from him as I live about 80 kms from him.  MxM carries his work, and it can also be found at several different German online model stores as well as the German Ebay.

Brass Props - 20mm A-type Left & Right: Ships & Things, Raboesch

Wood Deck - Nautilus
Excellent quailty products. They have alot of different configurations for sell.  They also have a couple of very nice conning tower conversions.  You can buy direct from Nautilus.  Sprue Brothers (SB), Great Models Web Store(GMW) and Squadron all carry the decks (IMHO Sprue Brothers has the best service.)

Pressure Hull (Yankee Models) - in Wink

Cezar

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 15:22 »
Gentleman.
You just made my life a lot easier, thanks a million.
Now, if anyone reading this has more to offer, please jump in and share your knowledge.
My 1/144 VII D build is so pleasant I decided to try 1/72 scale as well so I

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 15:36 »
May i add the Archer transfers link. Excellent decals of rivets, and weld lines, if you dont wonna make your own. Superb quality, various scales.
http://www.archertransfers.com/catSurfaceDetails.html

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 16:40 »
Rigging stuff:

Cotton threads:
http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/4604/25027.html
Superb coton thread, needs bees wax to smooth the fuzzing.

EZ line:
http://www.bobeshobbyhouse.com/ezl.html
Stretchy line of thin diameter, widely used by aircraft medellers accross the world. Good choice

WEM Lycra rigging:
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody
Really thin, stretchy thread. Brilliant.

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan , 2009, 06:15 »
       ..Lets not forget ULAD decals...But if you can find "Set #1" your lucky...
« Last Edit: 25 Jan , 2009, 06:23 by billp51d »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan , 2009, 13:34 »
You know, reading through the list made me realize just how popular the two Type VII kits are.  There is a alot of fantastic aftermarket stuff out there.

Gives me hope that someday ROG will do a 1/72 scale Type IX.

Mr.Mox

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 01:07 »
Theres a bunch of figures out there, and in my view a crew is a must to make your boat look lived-in and ad a sense of scale - even if I hate painting figures in that scale  ;D

When I turned my attention at subs I bought a bunch of figures consisting of CMK, Preiser, Warrior, Andrea and Heckler and Goros - my opinions are (mini review in progress ...  ;) )

Warriors - Resin - my favorites, good scale representation, nice poses, qualitycast and good fit and level of details.

CMK - Resin - wide variaty, allmost as good as Warrior. an little more unevenly cast, but generally high quality.

Preiser - plastic - nothing beats the price, I use the luftwaffe sets - fair quality but softer than Resin kits. You can mix the parts and create a unique crew for your boat. Some figures is un usable due to the uniforms and equipment - give them to somebody who does 1:72 planestuff.

Andrea - white metal - good selection of poses, but overscale and my sample showed sloppy casting - somewhat pricy compared to the quality.

Heckler and Goros - white metal - again good selection of poses and a better casting quality than Andrea, personally I find the figures a bit "beefy" - crew would not be that fat in the 4.th. war year  ;D

Revell - soft plastic - better not spoken about ....

Cheers/Jan

« Last Edit: 26 Jan , 2009, 01:21 by Mr.Mox »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 05:05 »
Agree 100% with your review of the figures and that they are needed to complete a model.

I also build 1/35th scale armor and 1/48th scale aircraft.  Figures are essential, in my view, to add life and scale to a diorama.

I also agree with your comment on painting 1/72nd scale, the faces are very tough to bring off well!

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 04 Feb , 2009, 08:55 »
Cezar- all you asked for can be found here-  http://www.modelsbymickster.com/cgi-bin/hobbyshop/hobbyshop.pl?inv=Uboote

Everything under one roof.
Apart from the inner pressure hull it is all good, and worth getting. ;D
         GOOD LUCK IF YOU CAN HAVE ANY KIND OF COMMUNICATION WITH THIS GUY..!
                                                                                              BILL...

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #11 on: 04 Feb , 2009, 13:09 »
                                                                                              BILL...

?
Sincerely

Ralf

Mr.Mox

« Reply #12 on: 04 Feb , 2009, 13:50 »
                                                                                              BILL...

?

Well, i have bought from him once before without any problems, but I wrote him 2 weeks ago asking if He had a CMK kit in stock, and since I got no reply I placed

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 04 Feb , 2009, 16:21 »
                                                                                              BILL...

?
  ???? !
« Last Edit: 04 Feb , 2009, 16:23 by billp51d »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #14 on: 05 Feb , 2009, 07:10 »
sorry bill, I just didn't understand Your posting.

maybe because I had the same experiance than jan: mails and orders without any problem.
but.......... since his homepage changed I too have problems to find the u-boot stuff
Sincerely

Ralf