Author Topic: Revell IXc 1/72  (Read 53965 times)

schemelschelm

Re: Revell IXc 1/72
« Reply #60 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 08:42 »
Thanks Dan!

@Glen: Have you checked the book from "Köhl/Niestle: Vom Original zum Modell: U-Boot Typ IXC"? I ordered it on Amazon a few days ago: Amazon

ISBN-10: 3763760059
ISBN-13: 978-3763760053

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 13:18 »
Hi Glenn,

Regarding the "steps" cut out above the main drainage holes, two of which can be seen in the photo of U 505 that you posted, you may have noticed that the position of the steps are different on the current U 505 to the positions on the Revell kit. There are also vent holes that are different between the modern U 505 and the Revell kit. It is actually the Revell kit which is correct for a wartime boat (I'm impressed Revell got this right).

U 505 had been outdoors for nearly 60 years and has had a lot of restoration work done which makes it different from wartime standard (a bit like U 995). The deck is also completely different. When captured it had the slotted pattern. The boat currently has the planked style. So the Revell kit is unsuitable for making the modern U 505.

Just as we have to be wary of using U 995 as a reference guide, we also have to be careful of using the modern U 505.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #62 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 13:36 »
Any insights you can offer, Dougie, are MOST appreciated!   :D

I wanted to post that pic primarily to show how the main drainage cutouts in the hull looked, compared to how Revell molded them in plastic.  The way they do them in plastic makes sense given the limitations of injection molding.  It will sure be interesting trying to correct or improve upon this!
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #63 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 16:45 »
Hi Again!
The Type IX was different internally from the Type VII. As you will note the Flood or "Saddle Tanks" of the Type IX are internal.  The postioning of the Engine Room on the Type IX is just back of the Control Room. This made the postioning of major componets of the Type VII and Type IX different.  So the plumbing on the pressure hull is different too.  If anyone  has access to a line drawing of the plumbing on the Type IX Pressure Hull please post it or let me know where I can find this. 
When I start on this build, I will need this when working on a pressure hull after I open the flood vents.  :)
Again Best Regards,
Dan

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #64 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 17:38 »
Dan, I am in exactly the same boat  (pun intended, LOL).   

Before I start opening up flooding holes, I want my plan in place... so looking for as much information as possible at this time.   
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: 05 Jan , 2014, 13:28 »
Hi Glen, Dan et al,

Type IX Bs had 3 'scopes 2 in the tower and 1 in the control room, this was removed on the IX Cs onward.
http://www.uboat.net/types/ixc.htm
The third 'scope in Vom Original page 60 is an antennae/aerial, the beauty of having the planrolle.

For references, there's always Steel Boat Iron Hearts and Hunt Kill, both are the story of the 505.
Type IX general: Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp IX C, don't forget to get the planrolle, saves squinting at the pages.
Geschichte des deutschen Ubootbaus, books 1 and 2, in German so you get the large plan sheets rather than squint at the diagrams in the books, book 2 is very useful if you plan in scratching a U 534 type schorkel.
For muddying the waters try German Naval Guns 1939-1945 by Miroslaw Skwiot
Flickr for pictures of the U 505 as she is now.
Fickr for pictures of U 534 whilst owned by The Warship Preservation Trust, there are some good pictures of the forward and aft deck without wood and the tower without the surrounding metalwork.

Also sit back and wait to see what Eduards 2 other sets include, see pic for first set.
Otos deck plus
Whatever CMK are planning, no doubt more crewmen, fingers crossed for a 10.5cm, 3.7cm M43 DLM42U and the jackpot would be optional towers with modified deck pieces.
Heard a rumour that Blue Ridge are planning a wooden deck (Nautilus?) and an upper pressure hull, hope it's more accurate that the type VII.

Regards,
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #66 on: 05 Jan , 2014, 13:48 »
Glen,

to answer the rest of your questions, if you look on flickr for the U 534 you will find several pictures when she was cut up to move which show the hull in cross section, from which you will see that the tanks were almost the entire sides rather than a couple of lumpy tanks on the side, a la type VII, which also answers your other question the pressure hull is almost entirely surrounded hence the rivets rather than welds.
Now suddenly the cutting up of the U 534 to move her becomes useful, after all the complaints by those not in the know, it was either that or weighed in for scrap! Merseytravel may not be the best museum curators in the world, but at least they saved her.

Regards,
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #67 on: 05 Jan , 2014, 14:33 »
Call me crazy but you know what would be fun?    A boat with the narrowed bow hull "cutouts" like U-190.   
Someone would have to make replacement hull sections, and also a modified forward deck.  But it would sure be unique!   :D   (ahhhh, to dream)

I was wondering about the 3 periscopes... the kit has 2 and it seemed unlikely that Revell got that wrong.

I am in conversation with Nautilus and things are still under consideration with them.

Noticed that U534 has a double-barrel 3.7cm cannon at the rear.   Hmmmmmm.  Does anyone offer that?   :D
« Last Edit: 05 Jan , 2014, 15:02 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #68 on: 05 Jan , 2014, 14:44 »
I was wondering about the 3 periscopes... the kit has 2 and it seemed unlikely that Revell got that wrong.

I believe the Type IX’s started with three periscopes, but one periscope from the control room was remove from the Type IXC’s.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #69 on: 05 Jan , 2014, 14:47 »
Now suddenly the cutting up of the U 534 to move her becomes useful, after all the complaints by those not in the know, it was either that or weighed in for scrap! Merseytravel may not be the best museum curators in the world, but at least they saved her.

It a shame it got cut up but it’s been a blessing for Tore and my research on the Type VIIC/41 :)

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #70 on: 06 Jan , 2014, 08:38 »
Hi Glen

On the subject of U534s 3.7cm M43 L57 DLM42U the long answer is complicated, but the short answer is, at this time, no.

The cut away bow, like my wish for earlier towers, unlikely anyone will manufacture them, too much work, would love to be proven wrong though.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #71 on: 06 Jan , 2014, 08:40 »
Maybe we should put the call out to different places for a cutout bow!     
MPM, Special Hobby, CMK, etc...   ya never know until you ask!
Maybe Revell would even consider it... it would sure be an interesting varient.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #72 on: 06 Jan , 2014, 08:49 »
Hi NZSnowman

At first I thought it was a shame that U534 had been cut up, but in their defence the interior, what you can see of it from the sections is more correct than the U505 or the U995 which have been extensively modified inside to allow easy access, so I think it compliments the U505. Having said that from my modelling point of view I would rather have had the intact hull of the U505 near me, but again I'd like to see any of you guys measure the width (sorry beam) of the U505, which is one of the things I'm planning for my next visit to the U534.
BTW NZSnowman you have my commiserations of having no Uboats near you.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #73 on: 06 Jan , 2014, 08:58 »
Hi (again) Glen

CMK are up to something, they said they were concentrating on the U505 when I talked to them at the Scale Model World show in November, but they wouldn't be drawn into any specifics. Whilst, as far as I'm aware there were only 2 IXCs with cut away bows, as has been discussed previously that the hull is very close to a IXC/40 so that any of those boats could be modelled. Now a full kit of a IXD2 with cut away bow, there'd be a fight for the front of the queue.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #74 on: 07 Jan , 2014, 06:32 »
I would love to see a photo etch or resin kit of the cut out. Or better yet a 1/72 Type IXC/41 U-805!!!!  :o
Now I am dreaming! ::)
Come to think of it; I dreamed for a 1/72 Type IX anything for almost 20 years so...... ;D
Dan