Author Topic: Revell IXc 1/72  (Read 53869 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Revell IXc 1/72
« Reply #45 on: 14 Dec , 2013, 18:17 »
you guys sound excited! give us a hands on review if you've got some time.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #46 on: 25 Dec , 2013, 07:19 »
 ;D Great News!
I recieved my U-505 kit two days before Christmas! :o
  Looking at the kit I see many good things and some needed improvements.  The  upper hull floods as I feared are molded in. :( So  these will have to be drilled out just like the Type VII.  Also some sort of  Pressure Hull will have to be installed because of all the openings.  All the drains and intakes will need to be reworked. :(
Another bit of good news is the photo etch deck I have from Oto Greza is the same dimensions as the kit deck. :D The kit deck  is good, but has it's limits as a plastic part.  Due to the size of this Boot, the hull is in 4 pieces.  So some filling will be in order. Revell did a good job on Hull detail.
All the rivets and welds even look good.  If you want to do some "oil canning" you will have a job!
The Conning Tower looks good. Molded in detail will have to be removed in some areas such as the wood plaking for the crew on the inner sides of the tower. 
One question on the accuratey of the Tower Emblems:  They are red in the kit. The Tower Emblems on the U-505 in Chicago are green.  Which or neither is correct?? Good project for Dougie.....  :D All in all this is a nice well detailed kit.  Colorcoats Kriegsmarine colours will look good.
I have another one of these coming..... a future project U-805....
Best regards to all and A Merry Christmas!!! :)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #47 on: 25 Dec , 2013, 17:08 »
Thanks Dan!

Dougie is working on an article about the emblems..trust his research and detective work!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #48 on: 27 Dec , 2013, 07:23 »
Can`t wait to see the boat build!  :D

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #49 on: 27 Dec , 2013, 09:13 »
 ;)  Hi All!
I hope all had a wonderful Christmas and a Great Boxing Day!
I am looking foward to reading Dougie's research on the U-505 Emblems.  We know  for some certainty what the correct colours of U-505 were at the time of capture.   :)  Thanks Dougie !  I would like to see someone do a research paper on the Type IXs!  :P Alot of interesting stuff there, including the IX Ds, and the "Monsun Boats" in the Pacfic and later under the Rising Sun Flag! Would make an interesting read with lots of Pics! Just a thought!  :)

Meanwhile I will be starting on this build soon. :D
Best regards,
Dan

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: 29 Dec , 2013, 00:04 »
Hi Dan,

I agree with your comments on my initial inspection of the kit, although my cynical thought on the hull being in 4 pieces rather than two comes from using their 'standard' long box. Past experience with Revell Germany over the years makes me feel that they make a models parts fit a particular sized box rather than make a box to fit a model. ;)

I'd add that I believe that the flood holes are at least in the right place for the U 505 unlike the type VII models

Also, with what you said earlier (replies #34 and 51) I think I might wait a while before fitting a deck, plenty to do before that anyway, in the hope of getting one of Oto's PE sets, if he starts selling them again. Let Oto know, judging by the way the model is selling I think there is a market for them. (put me down for 2!)

Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 31 Dec , 2013, 11:27 »
Kit was at my LHS for around $100. Eduard has a limited PE set listed on their site.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: 01 Jan , 2014, 12:12 »
Just spotted the Eduard PE before coming here.

Bill, by limited I assume you mean by items, i.e. no decks, there are two more sets to be released, I doubt there with be a full deck as they never made a full deck for the type VIIs, personally I think they should have release all 3 sets together, they may well do a Big Ed set of all 3 sets. See http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/U-boat-IXC-1-72.html?cur=1

Also, as I mentioned before (post lost when forum crashed)  Hecker & Goros have released 2 set of Indian Ocean crewmen for the type IX:
Set I:http://www.hecker-goros.de/html/kshg_254.html
Set II:http://www.hecker-goros.de/html/kshg_255.html

Finally when talking to CMK, they said that they were concentrating on the type IX, whatever that means.

Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: 02 Jan , 2014, 02:15 »
Hay Gentlemen,

at first I wish you all a happy and sucessfull new year.

Today I found a first building report on the website of the "Deutscher Plastik-Modellbauverband e. V." (German Plastic Modeller Society). It's the first part of the report. More to come the next days. The author used the test shot for the build and it is his aim to use no aftermarkt parts, so he can check the overall fit of the ixc kit. Sounds helpful to me.

http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/blog/baubericht-typ-ix/2014/

Best regards
falo
« Last Edit: 02 Jan , 2014, 02:16 by falo »

schemelschelm

« Reply #54 on: 02 Jan , 2014, 05:45 »
Another bit of good news is the photo etch deck I have from Oto Greza is the same dimensions as the kit deck. :)

Can you tell something more about the deck you have, please? I've never heard about that, sounds interesting.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #55 on: 02 Jan , 2014, 19:06 »
Just got my IXc kit today (at under $100).  Molding is very crisp, detail looks good.    Some of the shape & layout of the flooding holes (especially the lower stern holes) looks very suspect.  And it looks like it would be Mission Impossible to thin out the kit plastic deck to open all the slats.  <le sigh>

Are the periscopes the same as the ones from the Type VIIC ?   (I have spares).
Is the armament the same?   (I know what detail sets are good now.)

Good news... Eduard has 3 PE sets coming for this (53106 - available now, 53107, 53108).   

I haven't been this excited for a kit in a LONG time... I'm back in my element again!   But definitely going to need reference material.   Suggestions?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

schemelschelm

« Reply #56 on: 02 Jan , 2014, 23:09 »
Hi Glenn!

I searched the Eduard PE-Sets too and it looks that only the first set is available now. The other two sets will follow (maybe as BigEd?). For the armament, I'm going to use the Griffon-Set for the VIIC/41, it will fit because it's the same. To open the vents on the deck will be much work, but possible I think.
About the periscopes it seems to me that they are the same as on the VIIC, but the IXC have three periscopes. I'm going to look after this, I still have alloy persicopes for the VIIC from Schatton in stock.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan , 2014, 23:12 by schemelschelm »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #57 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 07:46 »
I just got word direct from Eduard about their PE sets for the IXc :
53106 - available now
53107, 53108 - February 2014
BigEd set of all 3 is very probable
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Revell IXc 1/72 -- hull flooding vents
« Reply #58 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 07:51 »
Here is a nice pic of the conning tower and hull main flooding vents on U-505.   The kit vents are close, but there's room for improvement (as always). 
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Revell IXc 1/72 -- pressure hull, hull riveting, etc.
« Reply #59 on: 03 Jan , 2014, 08:01 »
I am looking for reference books on the Type IX (notably the IXc) showing the hull.

From the outside, the Type VIIC had a large part of the main pressure hull exposed to the water, and the casing parts riveted to that.  It was easy to tell pressure hull from casing... the pressure hull had NO RIVETS but you could see welds.  The casing parts were thinner metal and had lots of rivets where the internal ribs were.

So here's my questions about the Type IXc.   

a) The Revell kit hull has rivets ALL OVER the hull and very few welds.  Does this mean that the pressure hull was not exposed directly to the water... that there was casing "skin" all over the hull (hence the rivets)?     

b)  Where are the saddletanks on the Type IXc?    (They were obvious on the Type VIIC... the side bulges.)

I need reference pics!!!   :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca