Author Topic: Finished 1/72 U-552 (yes, another one)  (Read 5330 times)

maxfax

Finished 1/72 U-552 (yes, another one)
« on: 31 Dec , 2012, 21:14 »
Hello everyone,

It has been almost a year and a half since I first posted that I was starting this project. I'm pretty slow, and plodded along, took lots of mental breaks, and now I am finished. I will still add a base and a plexiglass cover, but that will be another time- I have a shelf of aircraft, the Snowberry, and the Arizona to tackle. I used this forum extensively, as well as several postings/build logs and manuals on the net to guide me. I used Eduard PE, Yankee Model Works PE, CMK interiors, a conning tower resin figure set (brand escapes me), Archer transfers for the weld seams and rivets, and flag. I picked and chose the details to add, so this model is more of a representation of a VIIc, not the 552 per se. Sorry for the pile of pics, but I had over a year of photos waiting to be posted.

Thanks,

Rob

TopherVIIC

Re: Finished 1/72 U-552 (yes, another one)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 10:39 »
Very Nice work! It really Pays off when you look through the limbers on the last pic!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 11:16 »
A great looking boat!

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 05:12 »
Very nice build Rob!  The time you put into this was clearly worth it.  I need to do a cutaway myself.
Regards,
Brian

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 06:46 »
GREAT work Rob! Congrats, i love the finish and the interiors/cutaway. Excellent figure choice
Cheers

maxfax

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 08:36 »
Thanks for the comments! I have a couple of other figure sets (the Revell one- only a few good men to use, and a Luftwaffe maintenance crew- could easily fill in for sailors) that I may add in the end, but I needed a break from this kit. I have to figure out some sort of case to keep the dust off. Any suggestions?

Rob

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 16:54 »
Wow! Vrey nice details, it looks very real.

Dust - find an old glass cabinet. i went to a used shopfitter lace. Paid a lot but I had odd requirements and it was all I could find. You can also have custom glass/plexi cases built, not tooo bad $$$.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 17:16 »
Very Nice Job!
It was worth the effort!
Dan

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 01:06 »
I made quite an investigation on the display case last autumn. I agree with Rokket glass case is the thing. Plastic is susceptible to static electricity and attracts dust. I got a local glazier to make glass case out of 6 mm glass glued together in order to avoid framing. Remember to allow enough space around the model.  Having so many interiors on the model a good lighting is necessary, I fancy LED glued to the top front of the glass casing, howewer that source alone makes a flat dull light so I made a 2nd LED strip, shorter with slightly different (warmer) light hidden behind a front nameplate. In addition I made a wooden stand higth app. 80 cm, width 20 cm, length 105 cm for a 1:72  VIIC 41 model (Norwegian version) and I am pretty satisfied.
Below is the end result.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Jan , 2013, 01:32 by tore »

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 07:15 »
Very Impressive!
I have an old glass case from a store to put my creations in. When my U-505 is finished, I will need to get another case because I will have no room for the next project!
Regards,
Dan

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 08:20 »
I wonder where i put all my u-boats...  If all of them will be finished!  :-X   I have too many unbuilt boats already... With this speed it takes few decades to build all 10 boats...   ???

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 11:03 »
 ;D  I though I was bad with 1 unfinished and two in the wings! :P
Dan

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 01:06 »
Very, very impressive work Rob.  Both the interior and exterior are first rate.

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan , 2013, 00:33 »
Tore - nice boat and display, love the LED. I had been thinking about LED spotlights above, but LED spotlights don't really exist yet.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan , 2013, 09:52 »
Rokket...
I am sure if you place the LED inside a tube (brass for instance) and vary the distance to the edge of the tube, you will be able to achieve a focus similar to actual spotlights.