Author Topic: Inside U552 conning tower  (Read 2707 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Inside U552 conning tower
« on: 15 May , 2018, 00:38 »
Hi everybody,
I'm working on my Trumpeter's U552 model, and precisely on conning tower.
In the already mentioned video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBxEpfmh1kc&t=501s ), it's visible a sort of box ( see posted photo ), circled in red: in your opinion, is it a permanent or a mobile equipment ? Usually, a typical Type VIIC configuration is that one I posted in the second image, and I never saw something similar to the mentioned video frame....
I am very doubtful about the U552 configuration in that inner zone of conning tower...
Opinions welcome.
Cheers.
Fiilppo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: Inside U552 conning tower
« Reply #1 on: 31 May , 2018, 02:32 »
No one answer.....what a pity, I'll reproduce the box without knowing its purpose...
Another question: is there anybody that has a more definite photo of the openable steps for lookouts ? I thought that they were made up of a step with hinges down, openable downwards, but in the photo I posted there are clearly visible also steps under the hinges: I can't understand the operation of those devices...
Opinions welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 31 May , 2018, 05:43 »
No one answer.....what a pity, I'll reproduce the box without knowing its purpose...
Another question: is there anybody that has a more definite photo of the openable steps for lookouts ? I thought that they were made up of a step with hinges down, openable downwards, but in the photo I posted there are clearly visible also steps under the hinges: I can't understand the operation of those devices...
Opinions welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

REF Box With A Hole: . In some video stills of U552 you can see that the box with the Hole is not always present which shows either it may be a temporary fixture or else an early or late war mod.
In your video still it also looks temporary as its position  both slanted and its impeding the Left side watch seat from dropping down

REF Seats: I don't have a picture but I definitely read somewhere recently that the drop down Seats (Watch rest/Stands etc) had a fold away brace that dropped down to support them onto the deck when they were hinged open.

Not much help but another piece in the puzzle....
« Last Edit: 31 May , 2018, 05:51 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 31 May , 2018, 08:33 »
Thanks Raymic,
but your ( right ) observations don't add much clarity to the topic....

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun , 2018, 22:00 »
FYI
Seat in closed position

Cad picture is possibly incorrect. Hinges from half way up the Wooden slats not hinged at the bottom. It is at SEAT height not Standing height

As a guess I believe it folds out somehow into a triangular shape and self supports.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun , 2018, 02:36 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun , 2018, 02:36 »
Hi Raymic,
thanks for your observations....your theory about the seats opening, according to what is visible on U552 video, seems to be right...
No one U552 modeler made the seats this way, neither photoetchings producers....
We'll be the first experimenters....

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jun , 2018, 07:05 »
Hi Raymic,
surfing on internet I found the posted photo: analizing the photo it seems that the seats were made upof only one element, hinged on top edge and openable upwards: I'm really confused...
Were maybe the elements visible above the hinges, visible on U552 film frame, simply an antislip ( wooden ? ) slabs or protections of conning tower walls ?
Opinions welcome ( is only Raymic interested on this qauestion ? ).
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jun , 2018, 15:47 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NSHSEwQMk

Check out the wreck of U-166, it has excellent views of single piece seats.
It's a later sub Type IXC same as U505 at Chicago which picture shows 1 piece also.

However some other photos show either a dark marked area on the wooden slats or 2 pieces especially on Type VII which is strange. As the seat looked VERY thin as 1pc metal possibly 2pcs  used with a hinge as per my Option 2.

I think though that the majority of versions of U-boats had a one piece but that doesn't remove the possibility of a 2 pc on some versions of a Type VII.

Until a photo of U-552 is found we are only guessing and will have to use 'Artistic licence'
« Last Edit: 05 Jun , 2018, 16:00 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jun , 2018, 23:31 »
Thanks Raymic,
I appreciate very much your love for U-Boat, as your answers prove...
I'm lucky I found a real U-Boat enthusiast, as you, as U 552 model builder: it's a big help ( and I hope reciprocal ) for my build....
I'm still working on conning tower, but things go long because, with the first hot in summer, it's difficult to work in my attic, where I have my working station....
Soon some photos...
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jul , 2018, 02:16 »
FYI Bianco

Have a look at my sketch. After much studying of U552 photos and videos I believe there were 4 foldable seats/stands on the EARLY U552 as drawn.

The 4  were 1/2 way up the Conning tower wall and they also had some sort of Insulation pad ( possibly wood) to lean or sit against the cold metalwork.

And Port and Starboard were offset.

Also there was no long step on the Starboard side as the Etch sets offer.

Possibly on the later U552 these steps were added or modified but I am only modelling the early U552.

Also not drawn here but I have also modelled a wooden slat mat at the front of the Conning Tower

Do you agree with the seating or can offer suggestions?

PS The UZO and the Attack Periscope housing are still to be scratch build as per your fantastic design :}

CANCEL my comment that the back 2 were lower down

cheers
Raymic

« Last Edit: 03 Jul , 2018, 02:42 by Raymic1 »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Inside U552 conning tower-Bianco more photos....
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul , 2018, 00:12 »
Bianco

More Conning Tower photos of U564 a Type V11C
Shows a seat with support, mentions feeding ammo down the shoot etc

PS I dont know what the guy is doing in his underwear...lol

« Last Edit: 21 Jul , 2018, 00:17 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul , 2018, 09:55 »
Hi Raymic, forse of all thanks for sharing all those photos of conning tower...
I’ll give a complete answer to your question next monday, when I’ll be back at office...
I’m so glad that you didn’t stop your research on Type VIIC...
In this period of heat wave , my modeller work is stopped...
I’ll be back next week.
Cheers

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul , 2018, 19:37 »
FYI

Photos from the book U-Boat Patrol U564 by Lawrence Paterson
They are very clear pictures in the book but not so good reduced down on this post.

cheers