Author Topic: DKM Bismarck in 1/350 Scale  (Read 30416 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: DKM Bismarck in 1/350 Scale
« Reply #60 on: 27 Apr , 2010, 12:54 »
Thanks for the kind comments guys!  I have not put in much time on the Bismarck in the past two weeks.  The weather in Bavaria has been mostly very nice and I have been putting in alot of kilometers road cycling.  I also got the usual spring "honeydo" project from my dear wife; this year it is building a greenhouse.   I hope to be finished with that little project by the end of this weekend.  Then maybe I can get around to finishing the Bismarck as there is not much left to do on the build. 

Stay tuned!
Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #61 on: 28 Apr , 2010, 00:30 »
Glad you enjoyed the cycling, good luck with the greenhouse!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #62 on: 15 Oct , 2010, 02:08 »
Hi guys, the riding/racing season is over and I am nearly ready to begin my annual Fall/Winter building period.  I probably will not be able to build as many models this year as I normally I am able to complete.  There is a good reason for that though - I am building out the room above the garage which will be my new modelling room when it is complete.  If all goes well I hope to have it finished before Christmas.

Regarding this build; I should have it finished in 8-10 hours of work.  I will post some pictures soon of the progress I have made since my last posts.

It is good to be back!   

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #63 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 09:55 »
As promised, I have posted some shots of the most recent work on the ship.

This one is nearing completion!

Ernest

« Last Edit: 16 Oct , 2010, 10:31 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #64 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 10:34 »
And a few more pictures.

Ernest

« Last Edit: 17 Oct , 2010, 04:42 by Greif »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #65 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 20:14 »
Wow, beautiful build! The canvas gun bags are perfect, too! Even the display - but you're going to need a case to keep the dust off!

Great stuff!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #66 on: 17 Oct , 2010, 04:31 »
Thanks Wink!  And here are a few shots of the completed model.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #67 on: 17 Oct , 2010, 04:45 »
And a final few pictures.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #68 on: 17 Oct , 2010, 05:13 »
Looking nice, but i would consider giving the flags bit of the sag, as on Winks sub f.e.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #69 on: 17 Oct , 2010, 09:00 »
Looking nice, but i would consider giving the flags bit of the sag, as on Winks sub f.e.

Unfortunately, they are decals from the sheet that came with the kit and will not wave or droop.  I tried with two of the signal flags and ruined them.  I considered leaving the flags off at that point, but thought  "What the hell, they add a bit of color and this model will not be entered into any contests." So I ended up putting them on.

If any of you are planning to build this kit for competition, don't use the decals.

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #70 on: 17 Oct , 2010, 11:36 »
Ernest,

She is looking great!  Your attention to detail is great!

The flags are understandably a little "flat".  If you change your mind and want to change....find the flag picture online, scale it down, copy, paste and reverse one copy, butt the two together(like in the picture), print it out.  I used good old fashion typing paper for mine.  I have seen others use rolling papers taped onto plain paper (print it 1st to find location) before you feed it into the printer.  Light weight paper is fine too.

Then take the flag, glue it together with white glue.  (Thinned)  Take the thinned white glue and lightly dampen the flag and wrap it around different dowels in all directions and let dry, giving the natural flow.  Drill two tiny hole for the halliard attachment and rig it up.

Not as nice as AMP's cloth flags, but it certainly does the trip.  And, if you screw up, pitch it and print another.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #71 on: 18 Oct , 2010, 01:35 »
Thanks TRM.  I may revisit the flags at a later date and update them with something better.

Ernest

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 18 Oct , 2010, 16:27 »
TRM, I like your method of making flags, it's probably second best after the cloth flags like AMP carries which can't be beat.

However, when I put up a flag on a model, I add a couple more details if possible, depending on the scale.

On a ship, the flags are not tied through a grommet (hole) at the top and bottom.  There are two main ways that the flags are attached.

The more modern way is to have a metal hook, called a Brummel Hook, (after the inventor Isambard Kingdom Brummel - builder of SS Great Britain, Great Eastern and Great Western) which is a sort of circle with a notch in it that can be attached to a similar hook on the halliard, but with ONLY attach if rotated 90 degrees, which can't happen accidentally.

Obviously, you can't have these hooks on ships from before the late Victorian era when Brummel was alove, so the more traditional method is to have a toggle on the upper part of the flag and a short lanyard (or sometimes a loop) on the lower.  The flag halyard.(or halliard) has a similar toggle on it's lower part and either just straight rope or a loop on the upper part.  When a flag is attached, the toggle goes through the loop (or the lanyard is tied to the toggle) at each end.  There is usually no grommets on the flag but a boltrope is sewn inside the hoist (inner part of the flag, often a white strip of fabric to which the coloured part is attached) with the toggle protruding at one end and the lanyard/loop at the other. 

The boltrope is easy  to make with TRM's method by just putting a bit of thread inside before you fold the two halves of the flag over.  The toggle is a bit more difficult, but usually a small, stiff wire will suffice.  Tie the "boltrope" around the wire, touch with CA and then trim off the ends to the desired length.

Note also as in TRM's picture that there is always, always, always a block (pulley) at the top of the yard that the flag halyard goes through.  TRM also has it right in that the flag is stopped about a foot short of the block so that the flag doesn't get jammed with flapping in the breeze.

There's also a rule of thumb for flag sizes (at least in the old sailing navies) that there should be a minimum of 1" of fly (the horizontal part of the flag) for every foot of the ship's length to a maximum of 1" of hoist for every foot of length.  This doesn't apply so much to to motorized ships these days but was still common up until the early 20th century.

TRM

« Reply #73 on: 18 Oct , 2010, 18:17 »
Thanks Pat!  I try to learn one thing a day....here I think I learned about 5! ::)  Brummel...interesting.  I agree with the 1" per foot rule.  Not sure if they took this into consideration on the ole Brit Man of Wars, did they not fly a massive form of the Union Jack off their stern coupled with the extremely long pendent?  Must have been a Captain's choice...Still it is an impressive sight

Trying not to get off track here, could talk for days about the old wooden ships. ;D

Good luck Ernest.  Looking forward to more postings.

Cheers!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 18 Oct , 2010, 23:41 »
Here's a couple of pix of Brummel hooks.

http://www.hathaways.com/xcart/product_thumbnails/t_16216.jpg

In use showing how two hooks go together to attach lines to each other.

http://www.airsportssupply.com/DOCUMENTS/BrummelHook%20LINE.jpg

A closeup drawing of a Brummel hook.  Usually the opening part is angled, making it unlikely to come apart by accident but easy to take apart intentionally with a quick flip of hte wrist.

Yes, the British and French ships of the Napoleonic era seemed to go overboard with some extremely large flags.  I don't know whether they really were that big or if it was just artistic license by the painters of the day.

Of course, since many captured ships were reused by the other side (mostly captured French ships used by the British, the French didn't win many naval battles), they might have used huge flags to make sure that they weren't fired upon by their own ships.

The long penants at the tops of the mast were a different matter and didn't have any standard size as far as I could tell.  The reason they were so long was tso that the helmsman could see them at all points of sail in nearly all weather and thereby be able to see which direction the wind was blowing at the top of the mast, since that heled in steering the boat.

Today, the long pendant is mostly replaced by an pivoting arrow with reflective patches on it to show up at night by the lmasthead light.  Even newer are modern electronic instruments like anemometers and dynamic instruments with no moving parts.