Author Topic: DKM Bismarck in 1/350 Scale  (Read 30275 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: DKM Bismarck in 1/350 Scale
« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb , 2010, 13:57 »
And a few shots of the progess on Anton turret.

Ernest

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb , 2010, 15:40 »
Fabulous looking hull Ernest.
Im sure it will be the centrepiece on the mantle.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb , 2010, 00:24 »
Thanks Siara, I am pleased with how the hull turned out.  Painting the rest of the model is going to take alot more planning than usual.  Between the deck and the three shades of grey for the superstructure, turrets, etc there are several colors close in to each other.  I foresee alot of touching up with the brush on this one!

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb , 2010, 15:01 »
ahh, but the end effect will be worth it!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar , 2010, 00:49 »
Agreed Wink.  I am almost finished painting the deck, it is a prime example of what I spoke about.  I did not like the first paint job so I reprimed and repainted everything.  I'll post pictures with a short report of my struggles after I am done touching up, probably tonight.

Ernest 

ahh, but the end effect will be worth it!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar , 2010, 14:04 »
Finally got the deck painted and installed.  I ended up painting the entire deck twice as I did not like how the wooden portion looked the first time.  I used Parafilm to mask off the DKM 50 painted items before painting the wood a faded teak color.  Overall I give my effort a "C" as I am still not completely satisfied with the look.  I joined the deck to the hull using Tenax 7R which worked well giving me a 99% gap free join the first time.  I still need to do some minor sanding and touching up after the plastic has cured.  The hull has already gotten 3 good coats of future to protect it during the rest of the build.

Enjoy the pictures,
Ernest

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #21 on: 01 Mar , 2010, 14:57 »
Good show Ernest.
I would use some oils to get that deck nicely weathered.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #22 on: 02 Mar , 2010, 00:39 »
Agreed Siara, I plan to mix up an appropriate shade for the wash, the ones I already have are probably a bit too dark, and give the deck a good wash.  I'll then dry brush it for depth.  To be honest I'm not looking forward to that little job.  As you can see from the picture there are a TON of both large tiny areas painted DKM 50 that will have to be carefully avoided.  I should have left them masked, grr!

Ernest

Good show Ernest.
I would use some oils to get that deck nicely weathered.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 03 Mar , 2010, 13:56 »
Very very nice! I

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 Mar , 2010, 15:56 »
Nice work Ernest.

One question though.  Why did you cement the deck to the hull before the turrents are all on? Or do you not plan to make the turrets swivel or the barrels elevate?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #25 on: 04 Mar , 2010, 04:20 »
Looking good!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #26 on: 04 Mar , 2010, 12:31 »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #27 on: 04 Mar , 2010, 12:38 »
Hi Pat, thanks for the encouragement.  The way the main gun turrets install on the model they do not need to be fastened underneath to remain in place.  I'll post a picture of one of the barbettes in the next photo update and you will know what I am talking about; it would take me a page to describe it.  I plan to blue the secondary turrets and AA in place.  The barrels for both the main and secondary armament does move.  Again, I'll post photos of the main gun turrets later.  I have finished painting them, but I'm too tired to drag out the camera and take pictures tonight.  The way the barrels move in both types of turrets allow me to move them even if I decide to glue the turrets down.

Ernest

Nice work Ernest.

One question though.  Why did you cement the deck to the hull before the turrents are all on? Or do you not plan to make the turrets swivel or the barrels elevate?

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #28 on: 04 Mar , 2010, 12:39 »
Thanks Wink!  This is turning out to be a beast of a build.

Ernest

Looking good!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #29 on: 07 Mar , 2010, 12:11 »
I have made some progress on the build; however not much of it has been photoworthy.  The below shots show the deck after I washed it using a wash of 50/50 mix of yellow ochre and burnt sienna.  I will drybrush the deck once the wash is dry.

The turrets are painted and sealed with Future.  I am still chewing over how to weather them while keeping the effect in scale. 

As I have stated the painting has turned into a major mask and paint job.  I spend alot of time masking as some of the superstructure sections have three different colors.  It is slow work.

Enjoy the pictures,
Ernest