Author Topic: Type IXC accessories  (Read 62244 times)

Offline falo

• Admiral
Re: Type IXC accessories
« Reply #150 on: 20 Oct , 2014, 14:39 »
Hi thomcmdchief,

what a challenging and ambitious task to build the IXC with all the inner sections. No boredom for the next 1,5 years to be expected, I guess  ;-)

Regards
falo

Offline thomcmdchief

• Ensign
« Reply #151 on: 22 Oct , 2014, 08:38 »
I'm retired now Falo, so I travel, and have two XIC's to build, one with the interior kits from MPM, and the other just a display model.  Actually, the first 5 kits from MPM through Aeromodel, are quite good in terms of detail, and easy to detail and assemble.  There are some cast parts that are incompete because of casting problems, but all in all, they go together quite nicely.  The issue is waiting for the final two kits to be available.  I don't want to proceed until I have the whole set so I only need to worry about the relationships between each section once when I cut the holes in the hull.  So far all my inquiries are answered with "we don't know" when the weapons kits, exterior detailing kit, the engine rooms and aft torpedo room will be available. As of yesterday, Petr Hermann from MPM told me to look on their Facebook page for information, but only the first five kits are mentioned.  I've added a photo of one section to give you an idea of what the kits look like painted, so I hope it arrive along with this post.
Thom

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #152 on: 01 Nov , 2014, 17:57 »
Hi Glenn and Dan,

Would the MS30 be of use from Plastruct if it is too low you could glue 2 lengths together.  ;)

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #153 on: 02 Nov , 2014, 07:16 »
On the kit, the  rail dimensions are approximately:     0.043" wide   x   0.033" high
However, the hull sides stick up by  0.044" high above the deck.

I mostly have Evergreen plastic stock, so I would likely use 0.040" square stock (#142)  which would be Plastruct #MS-40 (1.0 x 1.0mm)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #154 on: 02 Nov , 2014, 11:14 »
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for that thought.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #155 on: 12 Nov , 2014, 10:49 »
Eduard has just recently released two new deck guns for 1/72 German submarines:

672053  German Submarine 10,5cm gun
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Brassin/Aircraft/1-72/German-Submarine-10-5cm-gun-1-72.html

672034  German Submarine 8,8cm gun
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Brassin/Aircraft/1-72/German-Submarine-8-8cm-gun-1-72.html
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #156 on: 24 Nov , 2014, 08:16 »
I am with you both on this!  I am currently asking this seller if he ships to the USA and how much it would be also.
Regards,
Dan

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #157 on: 24 Nov , 2014, 08:22 »
I got them direct from Eduard... but they also have them at Sprue Brothers in USA.   :)

Wait... hold on... what are we talking about???   
« Last Edit: 24 Nov , 2014, 08:25 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #158 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 05:40 »
Hi All,

A couple of new figure sets from CMK:
F72251 U boot IXC – Crew at rest in quarters ( 3 fig.)
F72252 U boot IXC – Crew Handling Torpedo (3 fig.)

Still no reply on the other accessories for the Type XIC

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #159 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 07:49 »
Eduard has just recently released two new deck guns for 1/72 German submarines:

672053  German Submarine 10,5cm gun
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Brassin/Aircraft/1-72/German-Submarine-10-5cm-gun-1-72.html

Sadly, I have stopped building the Eduard 10,5cm gun.  It is way out of scale by 20~30% too big.   Dammit... it was so beautiful, too.   :(
Issue logged with Eduard... I hope they take it seriously.  The 'oversizeness' of the gun is simply too massive to ignore.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Eduard deck guns: serious size problems?
« Reply #160 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 11:16 »
I did a direct size comparison between Eduard's new 10,5cm and 8,8cm deck gun kits.    (I purchased both these kits at the same time.)

Working with Dougie, who was kind enough to supply proper dimensions of what the 10,5cm gun SHOULD be, we now know that there is no way the Eduard 10,5cm gun can be 1/72.  (It is 20~30% too big... maybe more.)

Here are some side-by-size pictures of the Eduard 10,5cm and the 8,8cm guns.
You can see the size differences between the major components:  gun size, breech size, sighting components, CRADLE, and circular pivot base.

Would someone familiar with these guns please tell me if there were HUGE differences in their sizes, especially the cradles?

« Last Edit: 06 Dec , 2014, 11:22 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #161 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 12:57 »
Hi Glenn,

In a word yes. See attached scans.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #162 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 15:45 »
Thanks, Jon

Well... according do those plans... the Eduard 10,5cm deck gun is accurate !

I took measurements off those plans, did the calculations, and came up with the following chart.

(Though it still does not account for why the circular base is so much bigger than the Revell deck base plate... could THAT be wrong?)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 15:57 »
Hi Glenn,

You beat me to it by a few minutes. I did the same calculations and got the same results. Looks like the plans Jon posted are very likely the ones Eduard used. Jon - can you tell us where you got these plans?

Glenn - the figures I gave you previously were from plans from Vom original zum Modell: IXC. These plans showed the whole hull rather than only the 10.5cm. So there is more potential for error in the Vom original plan since they show an entire hull and is not focussed on an individual weapon.

You could tape together the Revell IXC hull, deck and tower. Then take a photo of the model with the RCSubs 10.5cm. Then take a photo of the model with the Eduard 10.5cm. If you were to take from different angles I could try to compare to period photos and see which one looks right.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #164 on: 06 Dec , 2014, 16:17 »
Hi Glenn and Dougie,

Plans come from German Naval Guns 1939-1945 by Miroslaw Skwiot. Some of the info in the book is incorrect, particularly dates of introduction. My guess is that either the book and Eduard are right or Edurd copied their model from the book.
It's a bit late now, but I have another way of cross referencing the relative sizes of the two guns, I'll check it tomorrow.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".