Author Topic: My U-410  (Read 3711 times)

bracco_n

My U-410
« on: 15 Dec , 2008, 07:56 »
Here's the first U-boat model I made. It's Revell's Uboot type VIIC 1/144

It represents U-410 returning from it's third patrol to the atlantic. The patrol finished on 27 Mar 1943 in Lorient after 47 days at sea, the commander at that time was Horst Arno Fenski.
Looking at many pictures, using dougie's article and discussing with fellow members of other forum I came out with the boat you can see in the pictures.
I didn't do the pertinent corrections like moving the anchor well and shortening the torpedo doors as I don't dare to cut the model (and I'm pretty bad at it). With the weathering I tried to achieve the desired result after 47 days at sea, and I'm pretty happy with it. No aftermarket kits were used.
The model was built to honor the crew and ex-crewman Hans Gerisch, who is still alive and with whom I'm in contact.

Please feel free to criticize it and post all the comments you've got.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: My U-410
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec , 2008, 13:43 »
 I like the new Revell VII c model a lot, as it is exact copy of the 1/72 scale one. They went a long way to preserve all the detail present on the bigger brother.

Your model looks ok. Nice colors, and weathering.
However heres few areas that could have been improved.
First thing- the cleaening of injection points.

The rigging. I know the thread the Revell uses is a bit fuzzy, therefore is better to replace it with something like fishing line, or lycra line. Glenn Cauley uses Gutermans thread. I just ordered the egyptian cotton thread- looks superb.

Sometimes adding extra detail can be very rewarding. Im not talking about the PE, and stuff. Studying the pictures we can add a little bit extra to make our model stand out.
Look at the picture of exactly the same model as yours:

I added some rails from steel wire, and reworked the periscope housing using the coton bud tubing. ;D
Footpegs from aluminium kitchen foil.

Unfortunately i never finished it.

We can experiment with presentation of our models to.
Here is the picture of 1/125 old revell boat finished as sunken boat, and dipped in my fish tank for over a year:

Hope you not going to get discouraged by my post, and i wish you luck with your new project. Im sure the VIIc/41 is going to look fantastic!

bracco_n

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec , 2008, 17:15 »
Thanks for your reply Siara! Don't worry, I won't get dissapointed as I try to learn from my mistakes. I'm pritty bad a building things from scratch and I'm not that skilfull with my hands and that's why I didn't add anything. With my next model I'll try to do some of this work. The part I like most is painting, is the painting good and accurate? I looked at many pictures to place the waterline in the right place.
I would like to hear more opinions.
Thanks Siara!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 00:09 »
Very nice overall, and the paint is nice and weathered
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 13:56 »
Hi Bracco,

Nice work, thanks for sharing. Looks just like a weathered grey wolf!

That's a nice touch honouring Herr Gerisch. I'm sure he'll be touched when he sees photos of your model. There are photos of him at -

http://ubootwaffe.net/ops/boat.cgi?boat=410

Maybe you could send him photos of your model for his birthday next week?

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec , 2008, 17:36 »
Thanks for the comments!
I happen to own 5 original photos from U-410 commissioning ceremony and in the pictures you can clearly see Hans Gerisch. That's why I contacted him and we exchange mails sometimes twice a week, I ask him questions about his service period and he tells me his memories. really interesting!
I'm happy to know that my painting is good, I used to paint warhammer miniatures before and there I learned a lot.
Tomorrow I'll take some pictures of the boat with natural light and post them here.