Author Topic: New Member SS223 build  (Read 9767 times)

Grossekatz

New Member SS223 build
« on: 27 Jun , 2010, 15:58 »
Hello All, I have been working on my revell Gato for a few months. Now that I have made some progress I would like to share. http://img257.imageshack.us/g/dsc01420h.jpg/ 
I need a few things before I put the main hull together. I plan on cutting the free flood holes in the hull and adding a resin sonor suite, I found the sonor parts but cant seem to find any references on the layout of the holes. Any help is appreciated. I am also curious about the paint sceme, in the Bonefishes patrol report on navsource it is stated that the ship was repainted just before her 3rd patrol around dec 43. Grey on the vertical and black on the horizontal. Would this sceme have been coutershaded or is it just as simple as it is  described in the report.
 Again any help is great.
  I look forward to sharing more as the project progresses.

TRM

Re: New Member SS223 build
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun , 2010, 18:17 »
Grossekatz,

Great job!  Your coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing your prgress.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul , 2010, 13:04 »
This might help: http://navsource.org/archives/08/pdf/0849201.pdf

Lots of information in there about painting, countershading, etc. Whether it applied to Bonefish at that time, I cannot say. You may wish to research boats in the same production bloc and deployed to the same theater, like Cod, to fill in any holes. What was done to Bonefish may have been done to the others - maybe.

Robert

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jul , 2010, 03:35 »
Welcome aboard! Coming along very nice, nice detail bits!

Bonefish Torpedo shutters - not confirmed, but she PROBABLY had the kit "spoon" style, so you are safe, and looking good with your linkage slot mods! AMP make a set that we think is better than the kit:

Paint: Robert has given you an excellent link. The early boats were launched in Measure 9 - all black (mostly flat, some gloss buts), and later repainted, and new boats launched with Measure 32: hull black, top and fairwater gray, some wavy bits.

ED: NOTE: I misread your post, so the following will sound pretty stupid, but I think it still fits:

Measure 32 was introduced in March 1944. Bonefish was commissioned May 1943, so she probably started with Measure 9. The launch pic at navsource and wikipedia show an even, dark, tone, def black! But she was also probably repainted later. If you are depicting her past march 44, you're safe with M32. Her 4th patrol was April-May 44, doubtful that she was repainted at this time (not enough time between the order and refit time and out for patrol). The earliest easily possible repaint would have been on return, before her 5th patrol (June to August). Speculation, but trying to fit in with known info. This pic showing her in Measure 32 black/gray is at navsource.org, and says "...Fremantle, Austraila, circa 1943 - 45" but we know it's AFTER 43 because of the M32 color.

Even tho Bonefish was repainted in  dec 43, I think she would have been repainted in BLACK, because the boats were constantly painted, it was "nothing" to slap on some more paint. Cdr O'Kane of Tang noted how FAST his newly painted boat looked faded and chipped (a patrol). so even after rereading your post, i stand by the logic of the above.  I'll try to dig up a visual for M32...

great wtuff, keep it up! Oh, sonar, wil see what I can find, I' sure some folks have done the sound heads and have some info...

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jul , 2010, 03:45 »
I THINK the twin sound heads were between FRame 34-35, at the AFT end of the FWD torpedo rm. The plan I have is dark and fuzzy, but indicates two stowage cylinders there, and the retractable pitot log. A report on SS-271 RAY says she once tore her sound heads off and damaged the Fwd Torp Rm, so it would concur, or at least not conflict... Mike will probably know!

Mike K

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jul , 2010, 14:31 »
First, check out Iron Bottom Sound. They have a set of sound heads, housing tubes and instructions, that'll do the job. But, if your a scratch-build nut, drop me an email ( mkeating(at)cox(dot)net ). I've got BuShips drawings for the Portsmouth installation. Which is the Iron Bottom Sound version.

Mike K.

Grossekatz

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul , 2010, 01:33 »
thanks for the help,
 I ordered a sonar suite as well as the eduard photoetch detail set and side plates and replacement rivets are on there way from archer. I sent an email to nautalus about their  aa guns and flood hole templates. that should be the last of the aftermarket bits I need. I have been working on the decks and fairwater the last few days, I reshaped the front of the fairwater to better match the pics as well as removed the extra lockers that I do not think she had. I will post pics of the progress soon.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul , 2010, 08:36 »
looking fwd to pix!

chipper

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul , 2010, 07:54 »
A quick question for Mike Keatings regarding Sound Head installations.  I wasn't aware there was a difference between the Electric Boat yards and Portsmouth.  Was there that much difference?   

Mike K

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul , 2010, 20:19 »
I don't believe so. They were similar enough that it should make little difference, to a modeler. But all the diesel boats I served on, were either Portsmouth built or built to Portsmouth designs. And all of my drawings are from Portsmouth. So, I can't say that with absolute surety.

Mike K.

Grossekatz

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 21:45 »
I have been able to log a ton of hours on the project in the last few weeks with parts on the way for the hullmI decided to focus on the fairwater. it is nearly complete now, it just needs final weathering. here are a few pics of the progress.

h

« Last Edit: 24 Jul , 2010, 21:49 by Grossekatz »

Grossekatz

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul , 2010, 21:48 »
more pics

TRM

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul , 2010, 07:22 »
Excellent Grossekatz!  Nice attention to detail.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul , 2010, 02:54 »
Love the weathering, and that sweet TBT! Tell us more about both!

Mike K

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul , 2010, 17:55 »
WHOA!!! I just realized that I made a serious screw-up. There ARE several major, exterior difference between EB/ Manitowoc and Portsmouth/Mare Island boats.
First, the anchor is on the starboard side, on PNSY boats and Port on The EB boats. And the companion way, on the forward deck, is offset in the same way. But beware. On some boats, the companion way, was centerline. I was on one. But it had been Guppied, and I don't know if that was the reason. Check pictures of the boat, you're building, and see what they show.
As a side note; Silversides was built with port and starboard anchors. But the port anchors were removed, and the wells plated over, before completion.

Mike K.