Author Topic: Matt varnish for enamel paints  (Read 7409 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Matt varnish for enamel paints
« on: 07 Dec , 2015, 16:25 »
Hello folks,

Can anyone advise a good, reliable matt varnish that can be brush painted onto enamels paints (not acrylic)?

I have used Xtracolor for years and this has been very good but I can't find a source for it now.

A few nights ago I was about to use my last remaining Xtracolor matt varnish bottle to finish off a 72nd A-6 Intruder. The nozzle on the thin plastic bottle must have been blocked. In a moment of extraordinary low intelligence I squeezed the bottle too much. The thing exploded on me, with the plastic bottle ending up in about seven pieces on the desk. As for the varnish it went all over the desk, my clothes and my hair. I guess it won't wash out my clothes so I'm going to need  new trousers, T-shirt and hooded top. All was not lost though. The only thing the varnish did not hit was my A-6 model (that would really have annoyed me). If anyone is using Xtracolor's varnish I would suggest either using full body armour and facemask or, if you have more common sense than me, unblocking the nozzle before squeezing gently.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: Matt varnish for enamel paints
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec , 2015, 18:46 »
Have you tried testors dull coat yet?  I used it once to dull out some gloss enamel paint on a tugboat model once, i was very impressed with it. Just a lite coat and it dries with no visible layer.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec , 2015, 18:48 by OldNoob »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec , 2015, 11:53 »
Hello there,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried this as I am looking for a bottle that I can apply by brush. Also I use enamels rather than acrylics.

Although I use an airbrush occasionally I don't like spraying (and am bad at it) so I much prefer brush painting.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec , 2015, 22:58 »
Apparently testors dull coatcan be used on enamel,  the paints i have from testors are the little enamel bottles,

I have used this dull coat on enamel,  but i think the key is making sure the enamel is fully dry.
http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-Dullcote-Lacquer-Testors/dp/B0069FYJYI

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec , 2015, 23:14 »
Another thing to consider is enamel fingernail polish, i used them from time to time in minor tile repair.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec , 2015, 11:21 »
Hello OldNoob,

Excellent, just what I wanted, many thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Dougie