Author Topic: USS Silversides SS-236  (Read 50992 times)

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
USS Silversides SS-236
« on: 02 Mar , 2008, 09:32 »
Hey all,

Still in the planing stages with my Gato. I decided to go with the pointy conning tower conversion from "Iron Bottom Sound" and I may get that small arms weapon set, it depends on what the Silversides had, I want to shoot for a late war fit. I sent an e-mail to silversides.org to see if they could help. I've seen many of the pics of her but am still a bit in a haze on what deck weapons she had.

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
Re: USS Silversides SS-236
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar , 2008, 08:10 »
WILDSPEAR,
I CAN TELL YOU SILVERSIDES.ORG WILL LIKELY NOT RESPOND TO YOUR E-MAILS, THEY NEVER RESPONDED TO MINE. MY ADVICE IS TO GET SOME RESEARCE BOOKS-GATO PICTORIAL, GATOS IN ACTION, AND WHATEVER YOU CAN LAY YOUR HANDS ON. i DOUBT THE IBS FAIRWATER AND POINTED CONVERSION IS COMPLETELY ACCURATE FOR SS236 BUT IT MIGHT SPEED THINGS UP IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY. LATE WAR FIT IS MUCH AS YOU SEE HER NOW BUT I THINK THE EXCEPTION IS THE 4 INCH WAS SITED FORWARD.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar , 2008, 15:14 »
Tas,

Thanks for the reply. Yahoo said my e-mail was undeliverable....maybe they don't monitor things in the winter. The pics I took of her seem to show the pointed conversion, I'll double check....don't want to spend money on something I may not need.

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar , 2008, 06:45 »
Wildspear,
You need to note that the kit differs substantially from SS236 and you must decide on your accuracy level. You might not care as to the differences and the kit with  some slight mods will we good for you. If not, then you might read the write up on the main differences between the kit and early MI boats (Portsmouth design) on Rokkets website. There will be some help forthcoming in the future to correct some of these differences. Again, get your reference books and study them. The subject is facinating!

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar , 2008, 06:58 »
Tas,

Thanks for the response. I'm a ground pounder by training and a naval lover by heart. I want to make this build as accurate as I can. I know the ship was built at Mare island(spelling????) is that what you mean by portsmouth design? I'm ordering some reference books this weekend I was thinking of getting "Gato-Class Submarines in Action - Warships No. 28 ". Amozon sells this book for 29 bucks but e-bay has it for 10. The floating drydock has this in "Gato/Balao class Submarine of World War Two PLAN eBOOK" CD format.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar , 2008, 07:10 by wildspear »

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar , 2008, 07:38 »
Wildspear,
All good books and will explain about the two basic designs and the building yards. Mare Island was and still might be the main repair yard for Pacific Fleet ships. During WWII, the yard also had building capability and produced subs to the government Portsmouth design. I'm glad you're going for accuracy. Be patient!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar , 2008, 04:25 »
TAS is so right, research means SO much. Not only do you learn but it leads you to new things. And it is a thrill to model a set of real details. We should all see if we can contribute to Silversides info

TAS - what boat are you thinking about? And "TAS" -Tasmania? (SA here)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar , 2008, 08:01 »
TAS-YOU'LL HAVE TO BEAT THE DEVIL OUT OF ME TO FIND OUT! WILDSPEAR, ROKKET HAS AN AWFUL LOT OF KNOWLEDGE TO SHARE SO WRITE WHENEVER YOU HAVE A QUESTION AND MIKE-WELL, LIVING AND WORKING ON A BOAT JUST CAN'T BE REPLACED WITH BOOK LEARNIN. I'M GOING TO BUILD(?) SILVERSIDES AT THE END OF THE WAR.

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar , 2008, 13:12 »
Wildspear,
Like I said, Mike has all the answers 'cause he's been there. I've had a special liking for subs as long as I can remember but served with the Army in Vietnam. All my knowledge has been gained thru reading. Check your library for "The Fleet Submarine in the U,S. Navy" (?) by Friedman (I believe). It's a lengthy but great book on the subject.

Offline IBS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar , 2008, 17:01 »
If You want to do a late war Silverside pointy back Gato, the IBS plug is designed to do just that accurately.  Mario

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar , 2008, 05:28 »
The IBS towers look great, a wide range to cover all the majorstuff:

http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/

Offline IBS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar , 2008, 07:48 »
Hi Rokket,  I think this is first time I wrote on your new board, It looks great! Congratulation.  I would just like to add one note in regard to the tail piece and IBS. There is a lot knowledgeable people on these boards, But they don't know what I have on the IBS arsenal.  There is a lot of other key pieces that you get with my sets. If your not sure if an IBS part works for you then email and let me know what you want to do.  If I can't help you or If the part is not necessary I will be the first one to say it will not work for you. Thanks.  Mario

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar , 2008, 04:33 »
Thank Mario, we appreciate your efforts!

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar , 2008, 07:08 »
It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,It's here  ;D,

My super set fron Eduards came in the mail yesterday now I need my book(in route). Then I need to get a order off to IBS and Nautilas.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar , 2008, 06:02 »
WE all know the thrill you're experiencing, Wild...the electricity that shoots up from the toes and thru the body (or maybe from the chest down to the toes)..a model/boat-gasm!

The Eduard set looks FANTABUOUS, as do the IBS towers, BUT...there is OTHER good stuff in the works!