SEA > SAIL

French 36 Pounder

(1/6) > >>

Greif:
Last Sunday afternoon I was working on my build of the DKM Bismarck.  Some friends of my wife came over for coffee and I few minutes after they arrived my wife asked my to come upstairs.  One of her friends had brought a wooden model kit over.  She explained that her husband had bought it several years ago but decided it was too complex for him and put it away in the closet.  She had found it and as his birthday was soon she asked if I would be willing to build it so she could give it to her husband as a gift.  After looking the kit over I decided I could turn out a presentable model and told her I would be glad to build it.  "When do you need it by?', I asked.  "This coming Saturday," says she. "Eeek!!!" think I.  

Well after around 17 hours of work it is done, and on time at that.  :)  The build was pretty easy, and pretty relaxing compared to putting tiny PE pieces on Bismarck turrets.  This was the first wooden model I have built and I was pleasently surprised at the quality of the parts.  Everything went together in a straightforward manner, which is a good thing as the instructions were less then clear in some areas and lacked organization.  I used mostly oak stain to color the wood with a few parts stained walnut.  I painted the carriage red, the darned pictures have an orangish hue, and the wheels black as per the instructions.  Rigging the kit was the most difficult part of the build as I have never done any rigging before.  It turned out ok for a first attempt, but I am sure some of you old hands can find plenty of mistakes.  To be honest this build sparked my interest in wooden kits and I am considering buying the Mantua "Gun Deck" kit to try something a little more challenging to build - in the future of course!

Enjoy the pictures!
Ernest  

Greif:
A few more pictures!

Ernest

Siara:
Nice model Ernest!

Rokket:
Nice model and nicely done! What a challenge, well met!

I've always wanted this one (or that 3 decker I've seen), maybe one day. I used to work aboard the replica Mayflower II, and have sailed on the Maryland Dove, so I'm a sucker for Age of Sail stuff. I think a nice dio from an Aubrey novel would be good, or Hornblower...

Thanks for sharing, great stuff, great gift because you built it!

Greif:
Thanks for the kind words Wink and Siara.  My wife's friend was very happy with the model.  The best part was my wife was beaming with pride; it was almost as if she had built the kit herself!   :D  And I got a "hero's" treatment later on for being such a good sport and doing such a good deed!  ;)

Ernest

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version