Author Topic: Graf Zeppelin  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Graf Zeppelin
« on: 04 Apr , 2010, 17:48 »
I've had a 1:245 (weird scale, right? why not 250?) model by HAWK for almost exactly 2 years, and since it is pretty simple, I've finally started to build it. OOB, except for some gondola work. Airships are very cool.

I need some advice on painting the fabric skin. I THINK I'll paint everything charcoal, then mask sections andpaint in various light silvery-grey, and try to recreate the patterns. But any advice is welcome! I'm not just after the color, but trying to show texture. I've toyed with (just for a microsecond) gluing thin cotton (poplin) to the model, but I THINK the effect can be achieved with paint...

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Graf Zeppelin
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr , 2010, 00:48 »
Neat project Wink.  As to your question, a way you could do it is to adjust the paint mix/air pressure in your airbrush so that the paint is nearly dry when it hits the model's surface.  That would simulate the "grainy" texture of the fabric.  I know you don't like acyrlics, but they would be your best bet using the above technique. 

HTH,
Ernest 

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr , 2010, 02:51 »
I dont think the texture would be visible in such scale Wink.
I wouldnt bother with texture here, and instead i would mask individual pannels, and shade them randomly.
Im eager to see what you come up with Wink- not easy subject. ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr , 2010, 03:26 »
Thanks guys. I think I will make it an acrylic /shade experiment! I think the model has either one more or one less "rib/scallop", but I'm keeping this one fast and simple.

I'll give that "dry" airbrush technique a go!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #4 on: 18 May , 2010, 02:31 »
Any progress Wink?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 22 May , 2010, 17:52 »
not much, the basic "hull" is together and have eliminated seams, now I have to try to make up a gondola pattern (the kit is waaay off and I chopped off the top half), and will use some really thin plastic to cut new windows and wrap it. I also have to probably redo the engines, they suck on the kit. The props are molded in some weird rubbery stuff, no way to file thin, so i might do a quick-and-dirty "in action" technique, and use clear plastic circles, slightly frosted, to show the motors running...