Author Topic: U-552 - doing it my way.  (Read 241677 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-552 - doing it my way.
« Reply #480 on: 30 May , 2009, 21:52 »
that KW is looking fantastic already!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

kagero43

« Reply #481 on: 11 Jun , 2009, 13:43 »
Simply fantastic work - thanks for sharing, including your drawings! - Harvey

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #482 on: 11 Jun , 2009, 15:07 »
Thanks guys! ;)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #483 on: 06 Aug , 2009, 12:18 »
Finally im getting somewhere!

I have ditched the plans for resin insulators, and decided on photo Etch approach.
I got in touch with guy from Poland called Wojtek Fajga ( well known scratch builder ), an he will help me in the process of making the insulators from brass. Stay tuned.... ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #484 on: 07 Aug , 2009, 05:03 »
Excellent!

Myself, I just used tiny slices of plastic glued to the thread. Seemed to work well enough, they are very small.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #485 on: 09 Aug , 2009, 04:06 »
Hi Siara,
can't wait for another update. I just got my hands on the same kit and as soon as we move I intend to give it a good bashing :D
I am not as skilled scratch-builder as you, so I do not intend to go as nuts as you did (and I mean it in a good way :D) but, if you don't mind, I intend to use some of your pictures as a reference.

-Libor

BTW Great job on the KW so far!

On the funny note: my g/f saw your avatar picture and she said: "he looks just like Jason Statham..." :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 09 Aug , 2009, 04:18 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #486 on: 09 Aug , 2009, 05:30 »
Hi Siara,
can't wait for another update. I just got my hands on the same kit and as soon as we move I intend to give it a good bashing :D
I am not as skilled scratch-builder as you, so I do not intend to go as nuts as you did (and I mean it in a good way :D) but, if you don't mind, I intend to use some of your pictures as a reference.

Feel free my friend. ;)

BTW Great job on the KW so far!
Thank you!

On the funny note: my g/f saw your avatar picture and she said: "he looks just like Jason Statham..." :D :D :D
Only not as rich. ;D

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #487 on: 18 Aug , 2009, 14:49 »
I just received the email from Wojtek regarding the photo- etched insulators, and they are done!
He has sent the insulators today, and showed me the picture of the test fitting:

The spaces between the line grooves will be filled with Magic Sculp, or Green Stuff.
You like? ;)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #488 on: 19 Aug , 2009, 13:38 »
Hi Siara,

Yeah, I certainly do like! :)

Will your friend Wojtek be selling these insulators to the public? If so, this would be VERY useful as the insulators have always been a problem.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #489 on: 19 Aug , 2009, 15:05 »
Hes only making set for me at the moment. I dont know if he`ll be interested in making it as the bussiness venture, but if theres demand ill ask him.
Do you reckon it will sell?

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: 19 Aug , 2009, 15:40 »
Hi Siara,

It's difficult to say about market size. I doubt if he'd make much money. But if your friend has the philosophy of wanting to help modellers then it is definitely worth doing. It does look a good product, and superdetailers would really appreciate the product.

By the way, the insulators would be great for the 72nd Type II kit. Modellers would, I think, want to get them for their Type IIs as well as Type VIIs.

Given the small size he'd cram a large number of insulators onto one brass sheet. So production costs per unit would be low.

I'll post a poll on the forum to ask others about this.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #491 on: 19 Aug , 2009, 15:56 »
And i will have the word with Wojtek if he is interested if the poll esults are encouraging.
He is very busy man, as he builds the models himself- and is one of the best i ever came accross.
 check this out guys!

westers

« Reply #492 on: 20 Aug , 2009, 16:54 »
Wow Siara, your friend is a seriously talented guy.

As I can't translate the build thread can you explain briefly what he is doing? It looks like he is designing the plane from scratch, but I'm not sure as the resin engine pieces and the fusalage pieces perhaps show a kit he's bought, but is improving on. ??? ???

vonbulowfla

« Reply #493 on: 20 Aug , 2009, 18:27 »
greetings ladds . i have been throught the f-----g ringer this past week . my dad who was also a master modeler and one of the best drag racers in the late 1960s .took his own life last sunday out of f------g nowhere . he was sick for years and finally at 66 years old .said f--k it and hung himself .it is like losing your hero . he was a master machinist as well as a  arobatic model airplane.flight expert . i am putting in our site because althought he didnt sign in but he always checked up on the site to see what all us ladds were building .he was a master model craftsman in every meaning of the word . his name was 'sonny ' walter pfister my dad and my idol .and now i have a hole in my soul that is there until they toss me in a f-----g hole . so ladds let us all here on the site tip one back in honore of my dad and a lover of all models and all you great guys who build them .and in his memory i am going to produce and finish some things that he wont be able too do .to the standard of the master my pop .i love dad and if you canslip some of your energy particals across the universe . and see what i said to all my mates about you .and check in and let us know somehow your threre . anyway ladds this event took my drive and intrist in the hobby he gave me and i love into the ground with him but i will comeback stronger and smarter as we all will be from all he taught me ' thats all for now i needed to let this energy out to all my mates and all the ladd. thank you ./ and thank you pop i love you always and forever .will talk to you all soon mates .  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #494 on: 21 Aug , 2009, 01:12 »
Im sorry to hear it Michael.
Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your dear father.