Author Topic: Type XXVII (Seehund) - General topic  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
Type XXVII (Seehund) - General topic
« on: 13 Apr , 2017, 01:19 »
Type XXVII (Seehund) Colour help needed!
Can someone assist me with the different colour codes / schemes that was used on the Seehund. What about "Hellgrau 50", "Dunkelgrau 51". My sub is from the later part of the war. This info seems allmost impossible to find...

Help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar , 2018, 15:01 by Islandern »

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
Re: Type XXVII (Seehund) Colour help needed!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr , 2017, 06:06 »
Hi and welcome!  :)

You might find colour schemes and colour codes from AMP main sites pdf books...  Tons of information there...  :)
http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml

-Anakin-

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr , 2017, 15:08 »
Thanks, but I have been reading through them, but not much about the xxvii for a pity  :-\ 

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr , 2017, 13:14 »
Hello folks,

Sorry Islandern, I was not able to put any information on the Seehund in the colours article as I don't have any relevant information on the subject. There are not many photos available but in those that are there appears to be no upper grey and lower grey. There just looks to be one colour on the entire submarine. Some information, inclluding four schemes, can be found here -

http://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=32687.0

The top two profiles in the instructions show a sort of medium grey. At a guess this migth be Dunkelgrau 51.

The third one down shows white spots over a dark grey. If this was a real scheme the dark grey could have been RAL7016. The white spots could either have been white or perhpas even Hellgrau 50.

The bottom profile shows an overall dark grey which could be RAL7016.

As for the colour of the torpedoes in the profiles, I am not sure about the red head.

Sorry that I cannot provide proper information.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 26 May , 2017, 10:31 »
Some information, inclluding four schemes, can be found here -
http://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=32687.0
I have no knowledge of the painting of the Seehund itself, but the appearance of the torpedoes on those schemes are ridicilus. Pure fantasy! :-(

Sadly, most modellers seem to follow the manufacturers instructions blindly, ending up with mostly accurate vessels and torpedoes that doesn't even resembel the real thing (thus "destroying" the whole model - from my point of view). I don't think I have ever seen a model with proper german torpedoes (considering both colours and other details).
« Last Edit: 26 May , 2017, 10:34 by Natter »

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct , 2017, 05:20 »
Thank you all for your reply.

SG, the link you posted seems to be broken, do you have the possibility to redirect me so I can see the picture?

Dougie, thanks for your input. I will most likely go for one of those when painting later on.

Sadly, I've been of the grid for a while. Working offshore and moving at home. But soon my stuffs is unpacked. Will be great.

Regards,

Anders

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov , 2017, 03:17 »
According to Revells instructions they have their "U-5316 North Sea version" colour codings.

They want the hull to be "Grau, Seidenmatt 374 (Revell colours) and it has the RAL 7001 number.
Can I go with Hellgrau 50 Baltic as it seems to be more or less exact?

Was there a "North Sea" version and "Kiel" version?

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov , 2017, 11:51 »
Hello Anders,

Me again. As discussed in my previous post, the colour you called "Hellgrau 50 Baltic" - which I call "Hellgrau 50 (normal)" - is RAL7001. Since Revell 374 is supposed to be RAL7001 then I would say the answer to your question is yes - it will be fine to use for this paint colour.

I really don't know about Seehunds at all. My guess is the "North Sea version" and "Kiel version" are the two names Revell gave to the two different colour schemes in their instruction sheet.

Please let me know if anything I have written in the two posts is unclear.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #9 on: 02 Dec , 2017, 08:08 »
Thank you again Dougie, nothing is unclear at all of your texts.

My problem has been to find "true facts" on the web about the colour codings and Seehund. But I will go with the "Hellgrau 50" (Normal) for now, (lets swap Normal for Baltic then).

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
Re: Type XXVII (Seehund) - General topic
« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar , 2018, 15:05 »
Does someone have detailed pictures of an XXVII periscope - especially the part with the lens?

Thank you,

Anders

(Closing in on the build, I am not the fastest but enjoy it much. )

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar , 2018, 12:01 »
Dear Islandern

Maybe you should get this book its hard to find but worth the money ,everything inside what you need for the Seehund .

Attached a picture out of the book of the seehund persiscope

br David

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #12 on: 08 Mar , 2018, 02:31 »
David, Wow! Thank you. I have been searching on the internet but not found any picture like this.

I don't have this book, I'll post it on my (by now long) wish list!

Thanks, have a good day.

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar , 2018, 11:41 »
Welcome Islandern

if you need pictures of the other part of the seehund please feel free to ask .
Maybe i can help you with pictures out of the book .

br David

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #14 on: 08 Mar , 2018, 13:52 »
I have never seen any first-hand account (or original colour-photo) in regards to colour used on the Seehund (or any other german WW2 midget submarines), so - as mentioned before - the input you get here are just more or less qualified guessing/suggestions.
The colourschemes found in modelmakers instructions are for sure just fantasy or based on the colour being used on the vessels displayed in museums (which were used by the manufacturer in the prosess of making the model kit). The museums are just using the paint they have at hand, so no help there. I think the only valid exception might be the IWM Biber, provided they stayed true to the original colour during the repaints being done since 1945 (it was captured during the war and kept in it's original state until being transferred to IWM).

All in all, there are no sure answer unless someone dig up original german regulations with name or RAL/RLM-code for the colours beeing used (I doubt it existed in 44/45, and especially that any such documents might have survivied in museums/archives). Ie: You'd be just as correct by making your own choice of grey/blue shade.

I have collected some photos/drawings in a zip-file for you, just in case you can find it useful in regards to the perioscope: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbk0z93z3hojd8s/Seehund.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: 08 Mar , 2018, 13:54 by Natter »