Author Topic: Forward crew section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 44976 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: Design the interior of the VII/c
« Reply #45 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 14:29 »
Tore - While we are on the subject of the Forward Head - was there a lamp in the socket in the upper left of the panel as shown in the photo? Did the famous "tooshie - light" as portrayed in Das Boat reside on your boat?

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #46 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 14:32 »
uhm, so it is in the centre then? Okay, will redraw it, it takes only 30 seconds anyways :)

this is what i came up with till now, it is not exactly accurate, the forward chair should be attached to a food store rather to bulkhead, but if i would do the foodstore cabinet, i would loose the section view that i (we) are after, so im calling that one "as is", note chairs and table are utmost simplified  8)

If i will get the thumbs up, i can move forward to the mid section bunks (with exception of the infamous toilette window :) ) Of, by the way christopher, i see that you have some pictures from the Laboe's boat, could you please round up pictures from the forward crew quarters with radio and sonar room? i would highly appreciate it, the only photo references that i have are some random photos found on internet, which are difficult to sort out, since those were made more for memories instead of modelling purposes  :)
« Last Edit: 15 Mar , 2012, 14:35 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #47 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 14:44 »
Tore - While we are on the subject of the Forward Head - was there a lamp in the socket in the upper left of the panel as shown in the photo? Did the famous "tooshie - light" as portrayed in Das Boat reside on your boat?
Nope I can`t remember that.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #48 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 14:46 »
Marko
Try this:
Almost at the bottom of the page is a shot of the WC Backbord Seite. The pic labeled Reserve WC is not the head you are working on. You will also see pictures labeled Oberfeldwebel Wohn und Schlafraum darunter Batterieraum. That will give you an indication of the tables in the wardroom you are drawing.

http://uboot995.homepage.t-online.de/index.htm/U995/Innenansichten_U995/innenansichten_u995.html

TopherVIIC

« Reply #50 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 15:20 »
Marko -
Keep in mind that there are always visual references to the size of things if you look for them. Internal frames (D.Spant) are spaced for the most part at 600mm (60 cm) apart. The drawings, and photos of the forward head show it taking up a hair wider than a full span between frames. (I have later modified this to read 800mm instead of 700mm) I would guess it was 700mm at the very widest (See note above). Its forward bulkhead is on a frame line, and its aft end extends slightly past the #62 D.Spt. (added after first post) There is a bulkhead on the aft end that is not square in the head - see the drawing top.jpg
Marko -
I hope I am not floundering you with a deluge of information... I just know there are two important things on a ship - the ammunition and the heads... :-)
Christopher
« Last Edit: 16 Mar , 2012, 00:47 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #51 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 15:29 »
Marko
Christopher got hold of the right pictures of the CPOs mess. It was poor seating on the port side and the table at the stb side was folded as on the picture except when eating of course. However as usual on the present U 995 somebody have played with the paintbrush on the surface of the table and the colour is wrong it`s far too vivid.I have shown a picture of the table from 1953 previously however it`s of course in black and white but it migth give you an idea so I post it once more.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #52 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 15:45 »
Marko -
Keep in mind that there are always visual references to the size of things if you look for them. Internal frames (D.Spant) are spaced for the most part at 600mm (60 cm) apart. The drawings, and photos of the forward head show it taking up a hair wider than a full span between frames. I would guess it was 700mm at the very widest. Its forward bulkhead is on a frame line, and its aft end extends slightly past the #62 D.Spt.

I hope I am not floundering you with a deluge of information... I just know there are two important things on a ship - the ammunition and the heads... :-)
Christopher
Yes Christopher you are rigth as to the last statement. But I`ll tell you if the cook had a bad day and 46 men in the confined space ate the food, the 46 men would trade the ammunition for an extra head I bet you.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #53 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 17:12 »
But I`ll tell you if the cook had a bad day and 46 men in the confined space ate the food, the 46 men would trade the ammunition for an extra head I bet you.
Tore
Tore - I bet you are right! Both have different purposes, but both are equally explosive! Handle with care!
LOL

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #54 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 19:08 »
erm, the bunk next to the captains quarters, were there two bunks on top of another or was it only one as this drawing indicates:

TopherVIIC

« Reply #55 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 20:10 »

Marko -
Port or starboard side? Port (Bbd) side - 2. The other side had the radio and sound rooms... cross ref with the img you posted at top.jpg
« Last Edit: 15 Mar , 2012, 20:13 by TopherVIIC »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #56 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 20:35 »

However as usual on the present U 995 somebody have played with the paintbrush on the surface of the table and the colour is wrong it`s far too vivid.
Tore - So you mean that the boat you served on - a Norwegian military vessel - was NOT painted every color in the rainbow on the inside? Do you mean to say that WWII German Navy People did not paint their boats in fantastic colors - even if it meant they had to think about the systems they were working on? Heresy! Blasphemy! How could it be so? If we see it with our eyes, it must be so! ;-) Ahem - now to our regularly scheduled broadcast...
Christopher - with a smile! :-)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #57 on: 15 Mar , 2012, 23:58 »

Wolfgang Petersen said that he added the famous "tooshie - light" for the movie ;D

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #58 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 01:02 »
hah  :)

i love the movie, once my girlfriend watched it with me, and she commented: I don't like it much, every 5 minutes they eat, its boring ;D

regarding the bunks, i ment the port side,

from the rear to front:
port                                starboard
captains quarters           radio & sonar room
? bunks                            ? bunks    (this section i am interested in, the side view says it is only one on each side, though i am not sure)
2 bunks                           2 bunks

marked on the top.jpg: (side view of the same sections indicates that there is only 1 bunk on each side, however in the numbered list it is indicated as (2)
« Last Edit: 16 Mar , 2012, 01:10 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #59 on: 16 Mar , 2012, 01:34 »
Hey guys! You are approaching my bunk in the wardroom now where I spent a lot of my time. I had the lower bunk on the stb side forward of the sonar (Horch) room.Forward end of the bunk had my wardroomcloset on the side,having two doors opening aft. On the aft end of the bunk was a storagecupboard having upper doors opening forwards. Underneath the doors was a small foldingtable (downwards), my writing (and dining) desk, and in the storage above were my books and drawings. I wish I had that cupboard rigth here now. On the sidewall of this cupboard towards the aisle was a blackboard where the 1. electrician noted the battery acid gravity twice a day keeping every officer updated. I never had bedguard on the bunk as now fitted on the  U 995, no need due to the cupboards. I had a dark green coloured curtain which I could draw at the bunkside. The top bunk was for No.1 and had similar arrangement. On portside as I said previously there was an upper and lower bunk for the junior officers (torpedo and navigation) the upper bunk was lowered almost all the time during the day and used as a seatback. Das Boot has many scenes at the diningtable showing the true situation. Further aft port came the COs quarter having the sonar and radiorooms on the stb. side conveniently next to him.
Tore